Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

First drive, three runs.....

sfergson727

We have a good conversation going here, what's the problem?  Controversy?  If  the forum is that fragile, then I don't know what to tell you.  I can say that I am mod on a very large forum myself, and would not interject myself into an on going thread that was within the rules of the forum in such a manner. 

This right here ladies and gentlemen is what qualifies as a "knee-jerk reaction." The Original post and thread title did the same thing, but this post right here just seems to be the best example. 

Not at all.  Notice that we have abandoned the run first offense, and it's worked.  I applauded Pep appropriately.  Now, where we go from here, we'll see.

How exactly did our first three drives go again??????

Running the ball is key. But if we can't we need to protect Luck and let him get the ball off.

Our defense looks great.. Just need to put together long scoring drives.

Anyone watching this game can not disagree that we have been more effective passing then running, except of course for the play that just happened while I was typing this....

Well, Denver has one of the better run defenses this season. And the Colts run game is entirely to predictable. If Pep mixed it up, running different plays from the same look, running in pass formation, etc... It might be a different story. You can't completely abandon the run. That negates your PA game.

Lol I know DHB fast no hands!!! Even the announcer says he spends more time then any wide receivers on the jug and dude still can't catch a cold! Man if we win this game I'll won't be able to sleep and losing Reggie is gonna hurt I pray he doesn't stay out for long heal up in a few days Reggie please!!

My gripe with Pep is this, with the players we have on this team, we should not be a run first team.  We don't have the talent.  We do have the talent with our QB and some (not Heyward Bey) of our receivers.  We should be using the passing game to open the running game, which I will admit Pep did later in the first half and parts of the second.

I don't think Pep should be fired.  I do think that this business of Run First, needs to be re-evaluated.

My gripe with Pep is this, with the players we have on this team, we should not be a run first team. We don't have the talent. We do have the talent with our QB and some (not Heyward Bey) of our receivers. We should be using the passing game to open the running game, which I will admit Pep did later in the first half and parts of the second.

I don't think Pep should be fired. I do think that this business of Run First, needs to be re-evaluated.

I applaud you for not calling for firing, but I must point out some things.

1st The direction of the team is run first... honestly get over it already and this goes not to just you but everyone that has been complaining.

2nd The reason why this is, is because by our very own experience if you can run the ball and play D you win in the post season... not hard I mean cmon we wasted Manning for 13 years can people not understand this?

3rd Watch what the run game does. Honestly the run game does tons for our offense even though it doesnt get big numbers but a failed power package early in the game gives to a perfect play action later. Do you not see this? Honestly im not a huge Pep follower but I completely understand his style. Its old fashioned habitual style football! Proven to work and keep your QB upright. So sit back and look at the circumstance of the game instead of getting caught up in numbers.

Guest TeamLoloJones

My gripe with Pep is this, with the players we have on this team, we should not be a run first team.  We don't have the talent.  We do have the talent with our QB and some (not Heyward Bey) of our receivers.  We should be using the passing game to open the running game, which I will admit Pep did later in the first half and parts of the second.

I don't think Pep should be fired.  I do think that this business of Run First, needs to be re-evaluated.

The running game has been doing a good job of helping keep Luck clean.  That's the most important aspect we all need to take into account.

I applaud you for not calling for firing, but I must point out some things.

1st The direction of the team is run first... honestly get over it already and this goes not to just you but everyone that has been complaining.

2nd The reason why this is, is because by our very own experience if you can run the ball and play D you win in the post season... not hard I mean cmon we wasted Manning for 13 years can people not understand this?

3rd Watch what the run game does. Honestly the run game does tons for our offense even though it doesnt get big numbers but a failed power package early in the game gives to a perfect play action later. Do you not see this? Honestly im not a huge Pep follower but I completely understand his style. Its old fashioned habitual style football! Proven to work and keep your QB upright. So sit back and look at the circumstance of the game instead of getting caught up in numbers.

The running game has been doing a good job of helping keep Luck clean.  That's the most important aspect we all need to take into account.

While this all true, which is more productive?  We had two different games, Chargers and Broncos.  In the Chargers game, we tried to be a run first team, and it netted us 9 points and a loss.  In the Broncos game, the first three drives mirrored the Chargers game, then we opened it up, and scored 21 unanswered points. 

I still maintain that we don't have the personnel to be a upfront run first team.  We are most effective when we use the pass to open up the running  game, and the proof of that is what we witnessed last night.

I'm not saying we should do nothing but pass, but think about how many drives we have lost this season by running on 1st down for no gain, running on second down for no gain, and then facing third and a mile. 

While this all true, which is more productive? We had two different games, Chargers and Broncos. In the Chargers game, we tried to be a run first team, and it netted us 9 points and a loss. In the Broncos game, the first three drives mirrored the Chargers game, then we opened it up, and scored 21 unanswered points.

I still maintain that we don't have the personnel to be a upfront run first team. We are most effective when we use the pass to open up the running game, and the proof of that is what we witnessed last night.

I'm not saying we should do nothing but pass, but think about how many drives we have lost this season by running on 1st down for no gain, running on second down for no gain, and then facing third and a mile.

We did try and open it up in the San Diego game... Every receiver dropped a pass good Lord. Why are you arguing against an offensive style that had worked for a century?