Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How about 'dem Chefs?

ColtsBlueFL

There have been a few super bowl winners who didn't have great or even average QBs. Ravens- Dilfer / Bucs-Johnson / Redskins-Rypien / Raiders-Plunkett / Bears-McMahon . These QBs may have had good games but were not considered top QBs by any means. 

Yes, I'm well aware of that - didn't just fall off the turnip truck. Those teams also relied on QB's who weren't in the habit of losing games for you, and Smith fits that description as well.

Of course those teams usually relied on a defense and running game of extremely rare quality. Some of them had offensive capability - despite the QB - that you don't see from the Chiefs. Most of them got hot at the right time, and I'm still scratching my head about how they managed to win it all. Not all teams that were built to win so much as teams in the right place as the right time. The reciprocal of my comment is the question of whether the Chiefs defense/running game  is THAT good. Way too early to tell, and not really my point.

I wasn't suggesting that they were Super Bowl candidates, but rather reminding Bogie that Reid has made a huge difference - as has his own Sean Payton. Both teams look like playoff candidates this season, which is pretty remarkable considering where they started out.