Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

3rd Down Efficiency

HarassedOffTheSite

Good point. I didn't like the offensive game for the Colts yesterday. It was pretty shaky. They need to play a lot better if they want to beat the Seahawks and stand a chance against the Broncos.

I understand what we're trying to do regarding running the ball down opponents throat. And I've adjusted from expecting the old Colts attack and am on board. But the QB more than any other offensive player is accountable for 3rd down. We're way too talented at the skill positions to have the Jaguars holding us to that kind of third down percentage. :)

6-13

That's not good enough. Especially against this team.

It's a team game but I need Andrew to work that out.

Regardless, good win.

Well, keep in mind that 1 of those was in the fourth when we ran the ball 9 out of 10 plays and took 7:53 minutes off the clock.  So the fact that we punted on that drive isn't much of a concern for me.  Another was with the backups in.  So yeah, total it was 6/13, but really, for the purposes of analysis, it was 6/11 (or 54.5%).  And if we converted 54.5% of all third downs, we'd be second in the league.   

Even at 6/13, that's 46.2% and that would put us at 6th.  So I would say we're doing pretty good in that department.

Well, keep in mind that 1 of those was in the fourth when we ran the ball 9 out of 10 plays and took 7:53 minutes off the clock. So the fact that we punted on that drive isn't much of a concern for me. Another was with the backups in. So yeah, total it was 6/13, but really, for the purposes of analysis, it was 6/11 (or 54.5%). And if we converted 54.5% of all third downs, we'd be second in the league.

Even at 6/13, that's 46.2% and that would put us at 6th. So I would say we're doing pretty good in that department.

Great post. Puts my mind at ease.

There is one more thing, I am not sure it goes in this thread but I would say that the 2 min offense this season is bad, bad choice of plays, sometimes they hurry unjustifiably, lack awareness for how much time is left and what they can do within that time. Last year was way better so the difference is between coordinators. Luck is still not independent enough to run it by himself like Peyton Manning used to do. 

There is one more thing, I am not sure it goes in this thread but I would say that the 2 min offense this season is bad, bad choice of plays, sometimes they hurry unjustifiably, lack awareness for how much time is left and what they can do within that time. Last year was way better so the difference is between coordinators. Luck is still not independent enough to run it by himself like Peyton Manning used to do.

I'm generally uncomfortable watching our offense right now. I'm not used to ground & pound. Not used to dink & dunk. And Andrew definitely isn't as uptempo as Peyton. So I'm having to relax and be patient. Like Pep said, we don't have a big enough sample size yet to really say yes or no. Just gonna try & chillax.