Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Right Idea?

So I did my first live draft on the NFL site using the "jump me in with 9 random strangers and let me draft NOW" feature and got from picking 8th out of 10:

QBs: Luck, Romo

RBs: Spiller, Forte, Miller, Pead

WRs: Green,Nelson, Brown, Hopkins

TEs: Davis, Fleener

K: Zuerlein

Def: Cards, Packers

PIcks I think went Spiller, Green, Forte, Luck, Nelson, Davis etc. 

Being a Sophomore to FF (and last season was naive fun), am I on the right tracks strategy wise? 

8 man leagues are more fun because all the teams are even. this is the best draft I get

QB-stafford, luck, dalton

RB- cj, bush, bradshaw, giovanni bernard

WR- cal, green, fitz, wallace

TE- davis

D- seahawks, bengals, ravens

K- phil dawson

On a slightly related note, i'm part of the league that one of the posters here set up which, naturally, is made up almost exclusively of Americans. I'm in England which means i'm going to have to stay up until the early hours of the morning to take part in the draft. I don't see it going well...

Join the club... it also means you can't enter any form of prize league it seems as they are all US residents only in the ones I can find. 

So I did my first live draft on the NFL site using the "jump me in with 9 random strangers and let me draft NOW" feature and got from picking 8th out of 10:

QBs: Luck, Romo

RBs: Spiller, Forte, Miller, Pead

WRs: Green,Nelson, Brown, Hopkins

TEs: Davis, Fleener

K: Zuerlein

Def: Cards, Packers

PIcks I think went Spiller, Green, Forte, Luck, Nelson, Davis etc. 

Being a Sophomore to FF (and last season was naive fun), am I on the right tracks strategy wise? 

I have not even started my draft research (not generally a fan of leagues that draft this early), but I'll respond to what I know so far...

I like what you did with your RBs; good blend of established talent and promising futures.

I'm not sure how I feel about Luck in the 4th.  I know he has the potential, and as a homer, I'd join you in overrating him, but I think the 4th is a pretty big reach.  Without the research, I could be totally off, but I'd probably have him slotted for a late 5, early 6, at the earliest.  I guess it depends on what other QBs were still on the board, though.  If there was a run, that might be about the best you can do.  As a nearly inviolable rule, I usually try to hold out until round 7 or 8 to get my first QB, allowing me to stock up on RBs and WRs.  Stafford will probably be a goldmine, and I'm guessing he'll still be there in the 8th in most drafts.

Depending on your league's setup with WRs, you might find your WR group to be a weakness, but I'm used to starting 3.

If it was me, I'd be scouring the waiver wire already, and looking to dump a D and a TE in favor of more depth at RB and WR.  Both the D and TE positions are easily filled with adequate talent based on matchups during bye weeks, so you are usually better served carrying more depth at the "money" positions.

FWIW, I think developing a good draft strategy is critical, and it is part art, part science.  I usually compile one draft board that ranks players at their respective positions, another that serve as my "big board", and another according to where players are going "on average".  I try not to take any player I value much more than a 1/2 round ahead of where he has typically been going, to avoid reaching.  In other words, there are times I would take a player I value less, ahead of players I am intentionally "targeting".  My goal is always to maximize the VALUE selections, and minimize the reaches.

Good luck and have fun!

Thanks for taking the time to reply Schwamm, I didn't have to draft so early but I was bored by the off season and needed something to get the football monkey off my back. I'd tend to agree I over drafted Luck but as you guessed there was a small run on QBs and I panicked slightly. Stupid I know but I premeditated the pick somewhat rather than playing the board. Partly for being a Colts fan and partly I got him low down last year with Reggie and they tore up a fantasy league for me. 

I think I need to plan before the draft better rather than knee jerking picks and going off the NFL estimates for points projections and ADP.