Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Tampa 2 Vs. Cover 2 Against Steelers

Jason_

Some of you may remember the thread I started last week after the Browns game where I compared the effectiveness of the Tampa 2 vs. Cover 2 against the Browns. That thread found here:

http://forums.colts.com/index.php?/topic/1814-coaching-to-blame-for-majority-of-defensive-issues-today/

I've had a chance to re-watch the Colts game and tracked each play just like I did last week.

On 1st/2nd down playing the Tampa 2 defense (Angerer running backwards at the snap)

Big Ben completed 8/12 (66.7%) for 159 yards and 1 TD, an average of 13.3 yards per attempt. Two of the incompletions were total drops by the Pitt WRs and should have been caught. Also in these situations, Big Ben scrambled for a 5 yard gain and it was also on one of these situations where the Freeney fumble to Anderson TD occurred. I will admit that the 81 yard TD was not due to the tampa 2 but rather was a blown coverage somewhere, so If I remove that play you get 7/11 (63.6%) for 7.1 yards per attempt. And again remember, it could have been worse had the Steelers WRs not dropped 2 passes.

On 3rd downs playing the Tampa 2 defense

Big Ben completed 5/7 passes (71.4%) for 94 yards, an average of 13.4 yards per attempt.

Rushing against the Tampa 2 defense

5 carries for 16 yards, average of 3.2 yards per carry

Now vs. the Cover 2 on 1st/2nd downs: (Angerer does not run backwards at snap of the ball)

Big Ben completed 10/14 passes (71.4%) for 89 yards, an average of 6.4 yards per attempt. There was also an interception by Lefeged in one of these situations and Ben also scrambled once for 10 yards.

vs. Cover 2 on 3rd downs:

Ben completed 3/7 (42.9%) for 19 yards, an average of 2.7 yards per attempt. The other sack fumble occurred in one of these situations.

Rushing vs. Cover 2

18 carries for 38 yards, an average of 2.1 yards per carry.

In total,

Ben was 12/18 (66.7%) for 172 yards (9.6 ypa) against our tampa 2

Ben was 13/21 (61.9%) for 108 yards (5.1 ypa) against our cover 2

Overall the Tampa 2 was a bit more effective this week than last but I still feel it's being used way too often, especially on early downs. Collinsworth even pointed it out on one rushing play that was a 5 yard gain because Angerer was moving backwards and had to change his momentum to head forwards. Had he not been moving backwards to begin with he could have stopped the play for a shorter loss.

i think where moving more towards a normal defense your defense is only as good as your captain in the middle

angerer :thmup: young and hungry

brackett :sorry: to small and old

the line backer core is bigger and more physical with out brackett

That is true your defense is only as good as your MLB cause after all he's the one calling the plays and calming the defense down. I think the colts notice the defense getting better in the middle with Pat, but we cant forget the 8th man in the box who is bethea... he was in and around plays alot......

About the Tampa 2 vs Cover 2 i think the colts are mixing their coverages more and we are gonna keep seeing that.