Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Broncos Players & staff admits they were to overconfident , couldnt believe playing % would = loss, need to learn 1 more thing from peyton

bayone

Kiszla: Fear of failure best fuel for Denver Broncos in 2013

To become Super Bowl champions, the Broncos need to learn one more thing from quarterback Peyton Manning:

Fear.

"I think you've got to play every year as if it's going to be your last," Manning told me Wednesday. "It's the only way to do it. It gives you a sense of urgency. And it's the smart approach. I've never been a big believer in the idea of 'We're going to put this play in to use two years from now.' Let's do it now."

There's the fear of being unprepared. There's the fear to take a breather between seasons, while competitors sweat to improve. There's the fear born from the realization any football player is guaranteed nothing beyond the next snap.

There's room to improve, because Manning believes his body could be in better shape to play QB next season, as nerves in his throwing arm continue to regenerate in the long rehabilitation process from four neck surgeries.

"I hate guys who harp on injuries, because if you go out and throw, you can't use that as an excuse if you lose," Manning said. "I've got some strength I still hope I can recover. Whether it's going to come back or not? I still hope it does. But, in the end, there's some risk that it may not. And, if it doesn't, I've got a baseline of what I can do."

An 11-game winning streak to conclude the regular season gave the Broncos, particularly their younger players, a false sense of security. While safety Rahim Moore pleaded guilty to getting "too happy" when botching an interception attempt that allowed Baltimore to tie the game during the final minute of the fourth quarter, he was not alone in taking Denver's superiority for granted.

In the span of one year, the Broncos' coaching staff went from privately believing a minor miracle would be needed to win a divisional postseason game at New England to being shocked that playing the percentages could not avert an upset at home against Baltimore in the same round of the playoffs. Nevertheless, winning a championship will require roster improvements, because there's no time to be patient with the status quo.

Although Manning performed as well as any quarterback in the league after being cut by Indianapolis and signing a five-year contract with Denver, it would be foolhardy to assume the Broncos' window of opportunity to win a championship extends through 2016.

Read more:Kiszla: Fear of failure best fuel for Denver Broncos in 2013 - The Denver Posthttp://www.denverpost.com/kiszla/ci_22437672/mark-kiszla-fear-failure-best-fuel-denver-broncos#ixzz2ItJxVg7Q

Footnote.Defensive backs coach Ron Milus, whose contract wasn't renewed by the Broncos, was hired by McCoy on Wednesday to coach the Chargers' secondary.

Read more:Dennis Allen, Mike McCoy go from Denver Broncos to AFC West rivals - The Denver Posthttp://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_22437149/dennis-allen-mike-mccoy-go-from-denver-broncos?_requestid=2149618#ixzz2ItSqfSGI

I HAVE NO IDEA WHY THIS IS POSTING TWICE & I CANT EDIT THE BELOW OUT

This is exactly the mentality in which I felt the team was playing. Even when they were ranking the 3rd in the conference I was saying the young team needed to play in the wildcard round instead of having a bye week since they did not have experience dealing with a bye week and they needed a relative easier playoff game to warm up. The team came out prepared physically but was pretty flat mentally, especially on the defensive side.

Still think they missed a golden opportunity this yr but if they can really learn from the lesson they could be very dangerous next yr since unlike the old Colts team having holes here and there this Broncos team is way more complete and talented.

"I think you've got to play every year as if it's going to be your last," Manning told me Wednesday

Maybe Peyton should stop playing like that. It doesn't seem to be working for him. haha

It reminds me Manning's face when he entered the Super Bowl stadium in 09. He looked so intense and it looked like playing football was a huge pain :fear:

This is exactly the mentality in which I felt the team was playing. Even when they were ranking the 3rd in the conference I was saying the young team needed to play in the wildcard round instead of having a bye week since they did not have experience dealing with a bye week and they needed a relative easier playoff game to warm up. The team came out prepared physically but was pretty flat mentally, especially on the defensive side.

Still think they missed a golden opportunity this yr but if they can really learn from the lesson they could be very dangerous next yr since unlike the old Colts team having holes here and there this Broncos team is way more complete and talented.

is more complete & talented but 16 free agents , 7 starters

http://forums.colts.com/index.php?/topic/14856-2013-broncos-free-agents-only-about-7-key-starters-other-key-backups-as-well-total-16-fa/

, the young will learn, they need a power back to help aged Mcgahee & an MID LB  that can stop & ham with  the TE'S that have killed them all year

see  this other post  for broncos offseason needs 

http://forums.colts.com/index.php?/topic/15072-what-broncos-need-to-make-a-complete-run-window-will-be-closed-in-few-years/

"I think you've got to play every year as if it's going to be your last," Manning told me Wednesday

Maybe Peyton should stop playing like that. It doesn't seem to be working for him. haha

Nah. The problem was, he was the only one that did play that way during the Ravens game. The defense especially has to step up in the big games.

Denver never trailed after the first quarter and led 35-28 with 40 seconds let and Baltimore had no time outs..

I think it shows great imagination to find a large spiritual motivational reason they lost...

The safety let the game tying catch get behind him..and the QB threw an OT interception....

Denver was the better team....they gave it away on 2 plays

Denver never trailed after the first quarter and led 35-28 with 40 seconds let and Baltimore had no time outs..

I think it shows great imagination to find a large spiritual motivational reason they lost...

The safety let the game tying catch get behind him..and the QB threw an OT interception....

Denver was the better team....they gave it away on 2 plays

is more complete & talented but 16 free agents , 7 starters

http://forums.colts.com/index.php?/topic/14856-2013-broncos-free-agents-only-about-7-key-starters-other-key-backups-as-well-total-16-fa/

, the young will learn, they need a power back to help aged Mcgahee & an MID LB  that can stop & ham with  the TE'S that have killed them all year

see  this other post  for broncos offseason needs 

http://forums.colts.com/index.php?/topic/15072-what-broncos-need-to-make-a-complete-run-window-will-be-closed-in-few-years/

Given how confident I was, and really all of Denver was, it's not surprising how it turned out in hindsight. I know they did their hardest not to buy the hype, but it was not possible.  It was heartbreaking to hear that Joel left the field in tears and Von was unable to move in the locker room for full 30 min.

I really believe in this team. With a few tweaks around the edges, they will be great. We have money and direction. And this pain will be a good thing ultimately.

Given how confident I was, and really all of Denver was, it's not surprising how it turned out in hindsight. I know they did their hardest not to buy the hype, but it was not possible.  It was heartbreaking to hear that Joel left the field in tears and Von was unable to move in the locker room for full 30 min.

I really believe in this team. With a few tweaks around the edges, they will be great. We have money and direction. And this pain will be a good thing ultimately.

Pain is a great learning experience, can put things into prospective for future years , thing is, it was a now year quite possibly  u never know about the future, injuries, draft pick wrong , myriad of things can happen, u can do all right but other teams catch up faster , u never know

Pain is a great learning experience, can put things into prospective for future years , thing is, it was a now year quite possibly  u never know about the future, injuries, draft pick wrong , myriad of things can happen, u can do all right but other teams catch up faster , u never know

Yeah, we were relatively lucky with injury department this season. I should stop expecting them to win it all and just appreciate each moment.

I believe learning how to deal with tough losses and bounce back from them is a necessary lesson for good teams to 1. understand their weaknesses reagardless the win-lose record 2. prepare themselves mentally 3. throw away the slef-content from long winning streaks. Teams that can take the lessons in regular season could have a strong playoff, like the 06 Colts, 07 Giants, 10 Packers, 11 Giants, and 12 Ravens. Young teams tend to fall more often after a long winning streak.

Yeah, we were relatively lucky with injury department this season. I should stop expecting them to win it all and just appreciate each moment.

Regular season winning streak and the so-called "momentum" is generally useless, unless they have a shot at a perfect record, or need to play until the last week for a better seeding. If teams set the goal as winning the Super Bowl they should allow the players to take stretches for a deep January run.

I believe learning how to deal with tough losses and bounce back from them is a necessary lesson for good teams to 1. understand their weaknesses reagardless the win-lose record 2. prepare themselves mentally 3. throw away the slef-content from long winning streaks. Teams that can take the lessons in regular season could have a strong playoff, like the 06 Colts, 07 Giants, 10 Packers, 11 Giants, and 12 Ravens. Young teams tend to fall more often after a long winning streak.

good one ran out of likes

Regular season winning streak and the so-called "momentum" is generally useless, unless they have a shot at a perfect record, or need to play until the last week for a better seeding. If teams set the goal as winning the Super Bowl they should allow the players to take stretches for a deep January run.

It was not only useless but probably harmful. I really hope AFC west would be stronger next season. It really didn't help us to beat on the *s.

It was not only useless but probably harmful. I really hope AFC west would be stronger next season. It really didn't help us to beat on the *s.

When you need a easier schedule to make the playoff or improve the seeding you may not say the same thing :) But indeed if they can really learn the lesson they will become even stronger, and it's not like the Broncos was not as good as their record showed - Actually if we call Ravens the best team in AFC, which is very fair at this point after they essentially manhandled the Pats, Broncos almost never trailed in that game against them and most of the time took full control of the game on both sides of the ball. But when they really need that "killer's instinct" to finishe the game, like what they showed in the 2nd half of the wk6 Chargers game, they did look very rusty.

The team is intact....needing few changes...

....If they can just add some depth to protect against injuries (at WR and in the O-line) they should make the

playoffs again this fall..

..the RB injuries hurt..and they lack speed on offense.......but a loss like the one to Baltimore isnt inspiring...

When you need a easier schedule to make the playoff or improve the seeding you may not say the same thing :) But indeed if they can really learn the lesson they will become even stronger, and it's not like the Broncos was not as good as their record showed - Actually if we call Ravens the best team in AFC, which is very fair at this point after they essentially manhandled the Pats, Broncos almost never trailed in that game against them and most of the time took full control of the game on both sides of the ball. But when they really need that "killer's instinct" to finishe the game, like what they showed in the 2nd half of the wk6 Chargers game, they did look very rusty.

Yeah, my feeling at the beginningn of the game was that they looked really tight. I think they put a lot of pressure on themeslves. Then when a lot of things we counted on didn't work (pass rush, pass protection, Champ), they didn't adjust quickly enough. Even so, we were one freakish play away from winning the game. I kept thinking it's 1996 all over again.

Yeah, my feeling at the beginningn of the game was that they looked really tight. I think they put a lot of pressure on themeslves. Then when a lot of things we counted on didn't work (pass rush, pass protection, Champ), they didn't adjust quickly enough. Even so, we were one freakish play away from winning the game. I kept thinking it's 1996 all over again.

Then I will like it since it means two Super Bowls coming next :) If the team IS that good then they will bounce back stronger.

I would not cal,the Ravens the bets team in the AFC....and its revsionist history to say Denver played a weak schedule....

After the first month. they'd played the NFL's toughest schedule..

We're trying to manufacture a reason they lost and they lost because the safety blew a coverage and the QB made a bad throw

they led virtually all the way and had it won with less than a minute to play...

To me, there is no schedule/injury/mindset reason Denver lost ..they had it and gave it away

The team is intact....needing few changes...

....If they can just add some depth to protect against injuries (at WR and in the O-line) they should make the

playoffs again this fall..

..the RB injuries hurt..and they lack speed on offense.......but a loss like the one to Baltimore isnt inspiring...

The secondary is pretty weak in my opinion. Texans and even Bengals burnt them badly this yr and finally Ravens. If you build this secondary based on Champ Bailey being able to hold onto himself then it is really time to make some changes. Perhaps you should pursue Revis.

Manning puts tremendous pressure on his teammates then gets pouty faced when they don`t do exactly what HE WAS THINKING.

Then he gets hit a few times and its over.

Wash, Rinse...

His Huge and disproportionate $alary will begin tearing at the fabric of the team. yada yada yada

2nd ranked D and two KR`s for TD`s and, We are only a couple players away from DOING IT next year. Chuckle

Manning puts tremendous pressure on his teammates then gets pouty faced when they don`t do exactly what HE WAS THINKING.

Wash, Rinse...

His Huge and disproportionate $alary will begin tearing at the fabric of the team. yada yada yada

2nd ranked D and two KR`s for TD`s and, We are only a couple players away from DOING IT next year. Chuckle

Wow, how much do you hate? ;)

Wash, Rinse...

Their salary structure is still healthy and they can even afford to have Revis, so Manning's paycheck is not relavent. When they have to deal with the issue Manning could have retired.

The regular season 2nd ranked D in the playoff did blow the coverage for 3 big times.

To some degree I do agree with you that Manning needs to change his playing style somewhat to allow others to contribute more, including game plans by the coaching staff as well as more diversified play calling. if all plays are going through one person the system is just too vulnerable. We'll see if they can do something interesting this summer.

I always wanted a tougher Bronco sched at end as was afraid was too easy & not being tested going into playoffs

also I wwonder how much Mcoy can tell & help chargers about Bronco weaknesses and  offensive tendencecies  unless strategy really changes

team has 18 million in cap space but 17 free agents  7 starters, both DT's and LT CLady, now clady will cost $, Revis would be great & dump Porter instead , 1 game to start season then seizure issue  and then 1 drive and a concussion in late season and that was his year

I always wanted a tougher Bronco sched at end as was afraid was too easy & not being tested going into playoffs

also I wwonder how much Mcoy can tell & help chargers about Bronco weaknesses and  offensive tendencecies  unless strategy really changes

team has 18 nmilluion in cap space but 17 free aagents, 7 starters, both DT's and LT CLady, now clady will cost $

Their division does have plenty of talents but generally lacks good coaching. I think chargers will improve, but watch out Chiefs may become a force even more quickly.

Denver's cap space should allow them to give Clady a nice contract, and it is not like their DTs are irreplacable. Others I dont think are that crucial. They do need to improve the secondary though.

Their division does have plenty of talents but generally lacks good coaching. I think chargers will improve, but watch out Chiefs may become a force even more quickly.

Denver's cap space should allow them to give Clady a nice contract, and it is not like their DTs are irreplacable. Others I dont think are that crucial. They do need to improve the secondary though.

agree, anyway at 4 pm I always have to get busy medical & or other priorities cared for from 4-6 or more so  have a good night

did way more today than usual

fingers spsming or locking up alot too know

just one rule I learned from Denver post article sent me , FYI , not being critical nor saying it was a game changer, just passing on something I never knew

it was illegal that the FG kicker of Ravens did a full practice FG kick on the field between the uprights between the 2 OT's but its not a penalty for it

EXPLANATION, its illegal but u  only get  a penalty call if the ref saw u starting to do it, warned u  not to &   u did it anyway, if ref doesnt warn u and u do it no penalty , so ref has to be watching the field at the time and warn u off before its kicked, if u sneek in and do it without a warning its OK penalty wise , just ilegal but not punishable

Weird  

just one rule I learned from Denver post article sent me , FYI , not being critical nor saying it was a game changer, just passing on something I never knew

it was illegal that the FG kicker of Ravens did a full practice FG kick on the field between the uprights between the 2 OT's but its not a penalty for it

EXPLANATION, its illegal but u  only get  a penalty call if the ref saw u starting to do it, warned u  not to &   u did it anyway, if ref doesnt warn u and u do it no penalty , so ref has to be watching the field at the time and warn u off before its kicked, if u sneek in and do it without a warning its OK penalty wise , just ilegal but not punishable

Weird  

If they were penalized and thus lose the game I believe the football world would go crazy. But it was fine for me since these Broncos should try earning themselves a noble win.

Take care of yourself.

If they were penalized and thus lose the game I believe the football world would go crazy. But it was fine for me since these Broncos should try earning themselves a noble win.

Take care of yourself.

Yep. The Ravens deserved that game for playing harder the entire game. The Broncos were sleep walking for long stretches. A penalty on the Ravens that would have made them lose wouldn't have made me feel any better about that game.

Take care of yourself.

Yep. The Ravens deserved that game for playing harder the entire game. The Broncos were sleep walking for long stretches. A penalty on the Ravens that would have made them lose wouldn't have made me feel any better about that game.

still at computer e-mailing with Medical people  Re Mom, saves time , they know my situation and are complaint for  a Dr. , disabled is besides the point

I didnt even notice the practice FG, only read about it,. as I wrote only passing on info  I learned FYI if u didnt know it

True enough  in the end Broncos have no one to blame but themselves & will be looking hard at themselves for a long time and hopefully learn from it

still at computer e-mailing with Medical people  Re Mom, saves time , they know my situation and are complaint for  a Dr. , disabled is besides the point

I didnt even notice the practice FG, only read about it,. as I wrote only passing on info  I learned FYI if u didnt know it

True enough  in the end Broncos have no one to blame but themselves & will be looking hard at themselves for a long time and hopefully learn from it

I saw it and was kinda confused about it and then the announcers were laughing about it. But, honestly, that is not what won them the game. They were just more intense. I don't believe that they were the better team than the Broncos, but they came to play at least the offense and defense did; the jury is still out on the special teams) and the Broncos seemingly did not.

I saw it and was kinda confused about it and then the announcers were laughing about it. But, honestly, that is not what won them the game. They were just more intense. I don't believe that they were the better team than the Broncos, but they came to play at least the offense and defense did; the jury is still out on the special teams) and the Broncos seemingly did not.

fully agree

u did change your avatar right ? or is it me getting confused again

Did he make the practice kick?

..Denver led from the first quarter on and had four 7-point leads...

..everybody says after the game that the team that wins played harder but you just dont see it watching the tape again..

Baltimore gained 400 yards but 70 were on the final play of regulation....

Denver had 30 first downs.........and Joe Flacco completed 3 second half passes until the final heave

///Baltimore got a 70-yard gift on the final play....and Manning made a terrible throw in OT..

2 plays kept Denver from playing NE