Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Was the game televised locally?

NewColtsFan

I'm asking because I noted that the box score shows 63,000-plus showed up.... but Lucas Oil reportedly holds 67,000.

So I was wondering if it sold out and was televised?

I suppose it's possible the tickets were bought and people decided not to show up and stay at home and watch on TV.... but that's a lot of no-shows for a home opener....

So, was it on local TV?

The local TV station WNDY did not televise the game; however, it was on the Fox Network with Brian Billick...perhaps someone on here can explain the ins and outs, as it applies to televising rules. Also, I went to a sold out game and noted several empty seats...assumed that was common among regular ticket holders.

The local TV station WNDY did not televise the game, however, it was on the Fox Network with Brian Billick...perhaps someone on here can explain the televising rules. Also, I went to a sold out game and there were still some empty seats...assumed that was common amoung regular ticket holders.

NFL preseason games are carried by local team networks while the regular/postseason is split between CBS(AFC), Fox(NFC), NBC(SNF), ESPN/ABC(MNF) The inter-conference matchups are split between CBS and Fox.

I hope this helps

The local TV station WNDY did not televise the game; however, it was on the Fox Network with Brian Billick...perhaps someone on here can explain the ins and outs, as it applies to televising rules. Also, I went to a sold out game and noted several empty seats...assumed that was common among regular ticket holders.

NFL games are televised by Fox, CBS, NBC, ESPN and NFL Network. Either CBS or Fox televises the Sunday afternoon games that start at 1:05 or 4:00 p.m. To answer your question, If the visiting team playing the Colts on a Sunday afternoon is from the NFC - like the Vikings, then Fox televises the game. That is why the game was on the local Indy Fox station. If the visiting team is from the AFC, then CBS televises the game and it is on the local Indy CBS station. Of course the game must be sold out in advance before it can be televised locally.

NFL games are televised by Fox, CBS, NBC, ESPN and NFL Network. Either CBS or Fox televises the Sunday afternoon games that start at 1:05 or 4:00 p.m. To answer your question, If the visiting team playing the Colts on a Sunday afternoon is from the NFC - like the Vikings, then Fox televises the game. That is why the game was on the local Indy Fox station. If the visiting team is from the AFC, then CBS televises the game and it is on the local Indy CBS station. Of course the game must be sold out in advance before it can be televised locally.

I'm a little conerned that Jax at Indy, a low-interest game nationally.....wont be shown outside of the Indy area, even if it is aired locally

I'm a little conerned that Jax at Indy, a low-interest game nationally.....wont be shown outside of the Indy area, even if it is aired locally

It is a very likely prospect that the game will be televised only to the Indy and Jax local and secondary markets. That is only 10% of the country. You can check out NFL Maps site later this week to see exactly what areas that game (and the names of the tv announcing crew) will be televised to. If you have Directv and The NFL Sunday Ticket, you can see the game.

I am a season ticket holder since 2005. I have only missed two games in that time both due to the flu :( I did notice even during the sold out years that there always appear to be empty seats. Some I believe are season tickets belonging to brokers that just did not sell. Also, there are two couples that sit behind me that are from Ft Wayne - they are only at about 70% of the games - more money than me I guess:) Also, for some reason there seems to be quite a segment that routinely do not get to their seats until about half way through the first qtr. Guess the beer/escelator lines must be long :)