Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Broncos have questions to answer on Denver offensive line before playoffs & will face some Ravens who sat out the previous meeting

bayone

Broncos  ended their playoff bye week with two starters in the offensive line — Kuper and left tackle Ryan Clady — dealing with injuries. The Broncos are optimistic both will play in their playoff opener Saturday, but if one or the other or both are not full speed it will be plainly evident once they face opposing pass rushers.

Kuper has missed nine games this season and played on special teams only in two others, including the regular-season finale against Kansas City. He missed the first four games of the season recovering from a fractured bone in his left forearm he suffered in training camp and has missed five other games with pain his left ankle.

Given quarterback Peyton Manning's desire to work from the pocket and that defenses routinely overload the gaps in the middle of the formation to try to put the rush in his face, Kuper is certainly one of the team's most important players in pass protection.

His replacement, Manny Ramirez, is a powerful drive blocker in the run game who defensive coordinators believe they can attack in the pass rush. And they did when Kuper was out of the lineup.

Overall, the Broncos surrendered 19 of their 21 sacks on Manning this season in games Kuper did not play on offense.

Kuper has an issue with scar tissue in the ankle, slightly above where his original injury was repaired and continues to get treatment every day. He was on the field this past week in the Broncos three practices, but was a limited participant.

Broncos believe he will be in the lineup Saturday afternoon when they open whatever becomes of their playoff run. But given he has had stretches of just three consecutive games and two consecutive games this season before missing time, the question will remain if his ankle will allow him to stay on the field all the way through the postseason if the Broncos keep winning.

Clady's status bears watching as well.

described as a "nagging" item and that he was simply being rested. Clady did have major knee surgery before the 2010 season and dealt with some hamstring issues earlier this season that limited him some in practice.

privately the Broncos don't believe he'll miss Saturday's game. But in a pass-first offense if the left tackle sneezes, the quarterback catches pneumonia.

The Broncos will release their first injury report of the week Tuesday and will have to formally designate Clady's and Kuper's status for the game on Thursday if either appears on the injury report, as expected, during the wee

Read more:Broncos have questions to answer on Denver offensive line before playoffs - The Denver Posthttp://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_22322086/broncos-have-questions-answer-denver-offensive-line-before#ixzz2HHsYLUEE

Broncos will face some Ravens who sat out the previous meeting

Ray Lewis, Bernard Pollard to name 2, Was Suggs ???

"I think it's going to be a lot harder than when we faced them the first time," Broncos and former Ravens receiver Brandon Stokley said Sunday night. "They had a lot of injuries, especially defensively. I think a lot of those guys are back now.

When they've got all their guys, they've got a great defense, especially in the red zone. And that's what hurt Indy."

Read more:Broncos will face some Ravens who sat out the previous meeting - The Denver Posthttp://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_22323421/broncos-will-face-some-ravens-who-sat-out#ixzz2HHuKUbr9

But wide receiver Demaryius Thomas said that he expected whoever the Broncos played to change their gameplan from the previous matchup.

Referring to Broncos "The fact that they played us is an advantage to them, too," Fox said of a potential rematch. "The fact that we played them, that familiarity works for them and for us."

((((   my comment -- but with injured players now back Ravens  they will have different look ))))

http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Broncos-Ravens-Rematch-Set/fa631d83-5943-4131-afef-88a54372fccf