Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Complete Review

After 2 absolutely brutal games here are some thoughts about the Colts position by position overall plus any potential positive surprise:

1. Not a surprise to the fans but perhaps to the Colts player personnel, the Colts do not have a backup quarterback. To go a whole game and pass for less than 100 yards is quite a feat. Manning can throw for a 100 yards in a quarter and Paint/Olv the ugly 2 headed monster did it against one of the weaker teams in the league. What would they do against Pittsburgh, 50 yards? Neither of these guys will win a game for the Colts. And Manning may not be ready anytime soon. This is the most critical position on the team. So who do we get? Perhaps talk with Favre. I'm not a fan of his but these are desperate times. Perhaps a Manning/Favre could work for a 1 year major all out run for the SB. At least Favre is experienced, unafraid, driven to win and can win. Other options? Kerry Collins but he didn't do much with a great running game yet he also had much poorer receivers. Delhomme, never a fan of his and I'm not even sure I spelled his name right, but I doubt he could help. Jeff Garcia? Maybe, he has played well at times in the league, can scramble but he's getting old. But without a doubt, we need a backup QB ASAP. Nothing positive at the moment from this position in fact very very very gloomy.

2. TEs not a problem, no surprises here

3. WRs we need depth, we can't depend on Collie/Gonzo/White and without those plus if Reggie gets hurt the Colts would be in a world of hurt. The Colts need to bring in someone with some talent and exp, perhaps Housh,perhaps TO again not great options but the Colts are not well prepared here and could end up in a world of hurt if guys continue their past injury histories. No positive surprises here

4. OL, problems but probably too late to find any type of difference maker and there is hope there Diem,Link,Satur,DeVan were 4/5 of the line that did okay for a few games last year. Add Cost and I think they could survive fairly well sooner rather than later. Although I would like to see Mclendon take over at guard and apply his brute strength. Positive surprises perhaps Kirkpatrick and Reitz.

5. DL, pretty good, Freeney, Mathis, Drake, Tommie Harris (based on his still young age and past success),Foster, Fili,AJ are all respectable. After that ??? Hughes will probably make out only because he was a number 1 pick and it would really early to give up on him but if he was a 6th round pick he would be on the bubble for sure, so that leaves probably 2 spots that are up for grabs, but Brayton and Matthews are probably most at risk. I would like to see more of what Ollie Ogbue has, he could be a nice surprise. Drake already is a super surprise.

6. LB okay, Conner and Gary B are probably going to be starters but Pat A. perhaps shouldn't be such a lock for a starter's position, I would like to see Sims start somewhere as these defense seems to be designed for his speed. Wheeler is a lock and then it's between Glenn and Moten with Moten perhaps being the surprise.

7. Secondary, questionable. We need a better option next to Powers, bring back Hayden. Surprise player, but really it shouldn't be a surprise as he was a 3rd round pick KT.

8. Punter/Kicker great

9. Kick and punt returner who knows but the Colts have bigger problems to worry about.

Last note whoever blocks with the skunk next to his name is really funny. You posted a thread about DBrown and keeping it on the downlow about his poor pass blocking that had me rolling. I translated it to my cute latin girlfriend who knows almost nothing about American football and she was rolling. Good stuff.