Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

7 hours ago, Lancer1 said:

You are correct, the majority of the Padres team came from other organizations - we traded for Fernando Tatis Jr while he was just 17, and in the White Sox organization. When we traded Juan Soto to the Yankees, we got back Michael King, Kyle Higashioka, Randy Vasquez and another player who we traded for Dylan Cease. We got Xander Bogaerts from Boston last year, this May we traded with the Marlins for Luis Arraez, and then again in July for their closer Tanner Scott & another relief pitcher. Even in 2022 when we went to the NLCS, we had traded for closer Josh Hader, of course Soto, and several others. The Padres used to be real cheap, and whenever one of their homegrown star players were approaching free agency, we would trade them away vice paying them fair market value. That kinda changed in 2017 when they signed Eric Hosmer as a free agent for big money, but the expectations for the team & franchise changed in 2019 when we signed Manny Machado to a 10 year, $300 million free agent contract. That was when we really started expecting to win.

7 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Not a expert on the Padres but they certainly brought players from outside organizations. 

Certainly Machado, Araez who won batting title, a half dozen players from Yankees for Soto who they got from Washington, SP King, C Higashioka, RP Taylor from Marlins, Bogarts, I think from Boston,  etc.... In fact I thought I heard every player except for a few came from elsewhere??? 

That shows you how much I know about the Padres. 😂. The last time I followed baseball closely, I thought the Padres would start winning soon because they had by far the most prospects in the top 100. I assumed that they were winning now with some of those prospects and with a few free agents sprinkled in. Getting Tatis at age 17 is not signing a high-priced free agent. If I am not mistaken, Tatis was one of the players I saw in their top 100.  If a player is acquired before age 22 or so, I don't have a problem with that. It is high-priced free agents that I don't like. For example, the year that Machado and Harper were free agents, I was vehemently against signing them. Most Mets fans wanted to sign one of them. They were so disappointed that the Mets did not sign them for $200+ million.

I like to build teams with young guys and without acquisitions of superstars. I like this Mets team.