Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Brett Hundley elevated and officially the backup QB, Ibraheim Campbell (S) elevated as well

holeymoley99

4 hours ago, stitches said:

This is a resounding indictment of Eason and his chances to ever make it on this roster. IMO this is a clearcut sign that Reich(and Ballard?) just don't trust him. He just lost his backup spot to a player who nobody in the league wanted who's been nothing but bad whenever he's played before as a backup and was horrible with this team in pre-season. Hundley has never shown anything to suggest he can be a successful even as a backup QB in the league and Reich picked a player we've seen fail in the past over the uncertainty of what Eason can be. 

I personally wouldn't be shocked if Eason gets cut either by the end of this season or just doesn't make the roster next off-season. 

It's also a capitulation and admission of failure from the management of this team in regards to the backup QB spot. Right now we have 4 QBs on the roster and it's obvious that it's not because we love them all... but rather - it's because we don't trust any of them and the coaching staff is throwing excrements at the wall hoping something sticks. 

IMO, too much is made about back up QBs in general. There's a varied approach throughout the league. And team's strategies are impacted by a lot of things. Several teams have bad backups, and just don't care. A few teams spend. Some teams draft a mid to late round guy, some go the FA path. I'm good with drafting and riding a cheap contract. I'm also Ok with spending a bit on a FA, but no more than 2-3M. Trubisky signed for 2.5ish. Carolina is rolling with PJ Walker who probably makes around 1M. Hoyer is probably making around 1M. I would have been more than happy sticking with Hoyer lol.. or Walker. Or Swag... 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived