Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Sean McVay photographic memory.....

NewColtsFan

Nice find. Sean McVay will do real well in the years to come, no doubt about it. What a breath of fresh air from the Jeff Fisher days. I am sure all the elite QBs have photographic memories to an extent, and so many coaches too.

I have watched the Patriots so much that I feel like I have a photographic memory of their plays, LOL :) . The quick play action down the middle, Edelman on a crossing route or Gronk on a seam route as the typical first 2 reads, then the RB checkdown as a 3rd read, the typical death by a thousand paper cuts offense the Patriots run. It seems it has been like that forever. Then, with the same formation, they will run it too.

Brady splits out James White going for the 2 pt. conversion to take the Falcons SB to OT, and then motions him back inside in, and I was screaming at the TV "it is the Charlie Weis direct snap to Kevin Faulk play for the 2 pt. conversion, watch out for the direct snap to the RB", and no one listened :). You know who studied the same things, DeMarcus Ware. Down 10-26, Brady led them to a TD drive at Denver in the 2013 AFCCG to get the score to 16-26, and going for the 2 pt. conversion, ran the direct snap to the RB. Ware smelled it out, came crashing to the RB from around the edge not flinching an inch towards Brady because he did not buy the QB throw a bit. He was also the one who generated the pressure that caused Brady to throw an INT down 18-20 going for the tie in the 2015 AFCCG that sent Peyton to another SB. HOF indeed, in talent and intellect. Respect.

Then the Ken Wisenhunt WR screen play for the 2 pt. conversion. 3 WRs stacked on the same side, 2 WRs block with one of them getting in the way of the defender like a pick play just enough so that the 3rd WR catches it and meanders through for the 2 pt. conversion. He did it with the Cardinals in the Kurt Warner days with Fitzgerald and another WR blocking with Bolding bullying through the traffic as the 3rd WR. They used it for TDs too, Chargers used it with "Ken Wisenhunt" too. Patriots used the same play for their 2 pt. conversion with Amendola vs Falcons in the SB. Then, another red zone play they use (Peyton and Clyde Christensen used it too) with the outside WR crashing in hard towards the slot DB while the slot WR goes outside towards the pylon for a TD pass, ala Collie with Peyton, Welker with Brady, and then Dabo Swinney and the Clemson Tigers used it with DeShaun Watson for the winning TD vs Bama.

Peyton's and Brady's offenses did not beat you with out-of-the-world schemes (though McDaniels schemes well with misdirection and doubts sown in defenders' heads). Their schemes were just so well executed that their pass catchers had responses on the same routes to different things the DBs did, and they practiced those relentlessly thus executing at a high level. 

• Like 1

Yes, this interview is indeed interesting to listen too given McVay's perfect play recall NCF. It is pretty impressive no doubt. I can do that with music if you give me a few verses or hum a few lines of the chorus, but not NFL quarters & situations though. No way.

Like Chad72 said earlier, I suspect more than 1 coach or coordinator can do this given the hours & hours of film that they watch & breakdown.

Sean is one sharp cookie no question. He seems grounded & down to earth too poking fun at his only real gift--Tremendous recall.

Man,  Jeff Fisher should never be an NFL HC again.