Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Browns new Money Ball approach already sets record!

loudnproudcolt

Interesting point on the Browns I heard today, and their new moneyball approach which I find interesting.

The 14 draft picks they had this year were a record number. What I find much more interesting though is, they are keeping all 14 of their draft picks! That is a real rarity, especially after I have seen so many people picked in the 3rd to 5th being cut after two years. That used not to be the case. They are starting from scratch basically. It is going to be interesting. I am sure they would love to have one more year of being bad or Philly being bad, since I believe they are finally committed to a true team build approach. You never know with Haslam, but you don't keep 14 picks if you have not committed to it. I believe they think they are young, will compete, but won't win a lot, and are going to try and get Deshaun Watson. Additionally, whatever Philly does, Cleveland has a ton of picks next year, many which are high, and due to the youth movement, a ton of cap space. So we will see where the plan goes. Those fans who have supported them after they came back to Cleveland through expansion deserve a team to root for, since they have stood by them since 1999 with nothing to show.

I wonder if it changes the way we look at team building at all as far as really ripping it apart, since we know how fast teams can go from worst to first in a division?

Also, if you are building through ripping the team apart, where does all the cap space come into play? FA's who can come in and be leaders? Like I said, for the first time, Cleveland may be bad this year, but it will be fun to see how this goes forward.