Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Cold Weather Factor

Dustin

As a lifelong New Englander (and someone who spends a lot of time in cold places... see avatar), I always find it interesting that there are some misconceptions out there about playing in harsh conditions. When it comes to a sport like football, there are three different types of elements to consider:

Cold - Not a big deal in most cases. Like the article said, advances in clothing/equipment, plus the fact that benches and even some fields are heated, kind of nullifies that. I would imagine cold was more of a factor when there were more natural grass surfaces out there and guys were getting tackled on concrete-like fields. Additionally, once you start exerting yourself, your body keeps itself pretty warm. Ever notice that even when it's frigid, you see all the big bodies up front covered in sweat?

Snow/Ice - IMO, these conditions give the advantage to offenses. 1) Defensive players can't push off well on slippery turf, so snow and ice tend to nullify pass rushes. 2) Receivers know where they're going. Defensive backs don't. So a savvy receiver can use that to his advantage, make sharp cuts, etc.

Wind - This is the one weather factor that I think will naturally have an adverse impact on offense/kicking. Generally, I think QBs prefer to throw INTO the wind, not WITH it. They can get better control and balls don't sail on them.

Just a little "two bits" from a guy who's spent a lot of days freezing his butt off. ;)

As a lifelong New Englander (and someone who spends a lot of time in cold places... see avatar), I always find it interesting that there are some misconceptions out there about playing in harsh conditions. When it comes to a sport like football, there are three different types of elements to consider:

Cold - Not a big deal in most cases. Like the article said, advances in clothing/equipment, plus the fact that benches and even some fields are heated, kind of nullifies that. I would imagine cold was more of a factor when there were more natural grass surfaces out there and guys were getting tackled on concrete-like fields. Additionally, once you start exerting yourself, your body keeps itself pretty warm. Ever notice that even when it's frigid, you see all the big bodies up front covered in sweat?

Snow/Ice - IMO, these conditions give the advantage to offenses. 1) Defensive players can't push off well on slippery turf, so snow and ice tend to nullify pass rushes. 2) Receivers know where they're going. Defensive backs don't. So a savvy receiver can use that to his advantage, make sharp cuts, etc.

Wind - This is the one weather factor that I think will naturally have an adverse impact on offense/kicking. Generally, I think QBs prefer to throw INTO the wind, not WITH it. They can get better control and balls don't sail on them.

Just a little "two bits" from a guy who's spent a lot of days freezing his butt off. ;)

Respecting your cold ness.. I could not diasagree more.

I think cold weather is like an extra defender in the passing game..

You recall (and so do we) the times Peyton Manning and the Colts indoor offense have come to Foxboro and been stifled..

You simply cant grip the ball in passing and pass catching the way you can in 50-degree weather...

..and you cannot throw it as far

Receivers cannot run god routes because of fancy footing (I'm talking about snow and sub-freezing temps) and defenses can dare running backs to go wide because they simply cant cut...

Field goal kickers have less range and punters have to be careful their plant-foot does not slip...

Offensive players want the wind at their backs..not in their faces..again..its an extra defender in the pass game..

I dont think you ever get warm in 10-20 degree weather outdoors....

Traditionally...east coast or midwest team hosting west coast or southern teams out doors....get about 4-6 points

Respecting your cold ness.. I could not diasagree more.

I think cold weather is like an extra defender in the passing game..

You recall (and so do we) the times Peyton Manning and the Colts indoor offense have come to Foxboro and been stifled..

You simply cant grip the ball in passing and pass catching the way you can in 50-degree weather...

..and you cannot throw it as far

Receivers cannot run god routes because of fancy footing (I'm talking about snow and sub-freezing temps) and defenses can dare running backs to go wide because they simply cant cut...

Field goal kickers have less range and punters have to be careful their plant-foot does not slip...

Offensive players want the wind at their backs..not in their faces..again..its an extra defender in the pass game..

I dont think you ever get warm in 10-20 degree weather outdoors....

Traditionally...east coast or midwest team hosting west coast or southern teams out doors....get about 4-6 points

You're right about the running game, but I disagree with the notion that receivers are that impacted by those factors, or that QBs can't perform as well.

Did you see the December game between the Jets and Patriots last year? No snow, but it was pretty cold.

Or the December game in Chicago (also last year) where Brady absolutely lit up the Bears' defense in a blinding snowstorm?

Or the 2009 game where he threw 6 TDs against the Titans, also in a snowstorm?

It's a matter of being accustomed to it. Manning grew up in the South, played his college ball in Tennessee, and has played his entire pro career for a team that plays in a dome. Plus a lot of his problems had more to do with those Patriot teams having outstanding defenses. Ty Law might as well have been wearing a helmet with a horseshoe on it. ;)

I'm not saying it's not a factor at all, but I do think it's overblown. Kind of like the whole altitude thing at Mile High. Sure it's a factor, but in technical terms, "altitude" doesn't really start until 8,000', and "high altitude" doesn't start until 10,000'.

You're right about the running game, but I disagree with the notion that receivers are that impacted by those factors, or that QBs can't perform as well.

Did you see the December game between the Jets and Patriots last year? No snow, but it was pretty cold.

Or the December game in Chicago (also last year) where Brady absolutely lit up the Bears' defense in a blinding snowstorm?

It's a matter of being accustomed to it. Manning grew up in the South, played his college ball in Tennessee, and has played his entire pro career for a team that plays in a dome. Plus a lot of his problems had more to do with those Patriot teams having outstanding defenses. Ty Law might as well have been wearing a helmet with a horseshoe on it. ;)

I'm not saying it's not a factor at all, but I do think it's overblown. Kind of like the whole altitude thing at Mile High. Sure it's a factor, but in technical terms, "altitude" doesn't really start until 8,000', and "high altitude" doesn't start until 10,000'.

Its hard to cite one game...

For decades, .the LA rams feared coming to Minnesota to play the Vikings in the post-season. They could not adjust

How many decades was it before Tampa Bay won a game in sub-freezing weather..?

Brady lit up the Bears because the Bears defense is the Cover-2 thing that Brady eats up...It leaves receivers open and tries to create turnovers with hard hits and strips..

The Pats had great defenses but NE loses all those Manning-Brady duels if play indoors in Indy, right (I know you agree) :yes:

Watch New Orleans with Drew 'Mr. 5000' Brees play at Green Bay in 2 weeks and watch them struggle.

Brady was taught by Belichick how to take advantage in that Bears game by throwing diagonally instead of straight ahead. So one can deduce its the same for both teams but the cold weather team is more prepared...although Chicago is cold so it comes down to BB preparing better:)

Mile high..are defensese did tire from the altitude even though we went out early to acclamate.

Wind is the big factor in passing and cold in the kicking game.

It kept Ryan Clark out of the game on Sunday.

true but that had to do with his sickle cell trait . .. i think JJ was talking about how the high altitude might effect the general public . .

as for weather conditions I do think that warm weather climates and no wind helps passing, as well as good fields . . . for example after the Pats put in field turf in Foxboro in Nov. 2006, Brady is whatever and 1 at home in the regular season . . .with the only loss being to the Gmen this year, and that was a close game . . .

when one looks at the all time passing yards, you will see that a great portion of the top records are from warm weather climates or domes, and even in TB's case, the two years listed 2007 and 2011 were after the additional of the above mention field turf, and also we have had great weather here in NE this year . . .man is rained today in Januray!! . . .

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/pass_yds_single_season.htm

Right, but Clark has a condition that is made more dangerous at higher altitudes. What happens with Sickle Cell Anemia is that a person has red blood cells that are sort of crescent shaped. Then, when the body acclimatizes and starts producing more red blood cells to compensate for the "thinner" air, the crescent shaped cells essentially create log jams in the circulatory system. It's not the altitude that's actually harmful to Clark... it's what his body is doing in response to the altitude.

It takes the human body a matter of hours - not days - to acclimatize to 5,280 feet. Especially if you're a well-conditioned professional athlete. I'm sure that most people would feel a bit more tired or winded to an extent.