Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is The "sky" The Limit For This Offense?

bluephantom87

I don't think anything has changed. The determining factor is the OL. Since that has not gotten any better I cannot honestly see us running the ball any better than last year. Frank Gore is not a miracle worker. He cannot run through imaginary holes. I honestly do not see him rushing for more than 600 tops, if he lasts long enough to even get to that number. Dorsett is no answer to anything either. He will be on IR by mid season or sooner. I think we are in for a rude awakening in Buffalo.

The difference in Gore over TRich is almost hard to describe.  Where before TRich would tippytoe up to the back of the O-line and fall down, Gore is going to hit it up in there and get much more.  Once that happens, the play action passes to this awesome receiving group will take on new meaning.  Buffalo will see the whole package that we haven't yet.  This OL will be better than the talking heads think, and the play possibilities will assist in that.  The offense will be able to sustain drives and wear down defenses, even Buffalo.

Goodness......    here we go to start the new year.

Playing an attack first offense puts the defense at risk.    Score quick,  score first,  score in a hurry,  also translates to the defense not getting any rest.      The team would like nothing more than drives that last 5-7 minutes!    We want to win the time of possession battle.

And where were our weapons last year for this explosive offense?   Reggie Wayne was a shadow of himself for half a season.

So, after TY Hilton,   who was Luck throwing to?    Nicks never panned out.   Moncrief was a rookie.   Griff was Griff.

Allen was hurt for a fair amount of the year and played at 70 percent according to him.

Our OL was average at best,  and where was our running game? 

Pep turned a poor running game into a short quick passing game to Boom to try and generate a faux running game.

I think Pep's done a pretty decent job under very difficult circumstances.    We're top-5 in points and yards.

What more do you want?

As for this year,  I think the offense will be even better.    Perhaps a lot better.

What I mean by an ATTACK first offense is one that is TRYING to score on EVERY possession! Of course some scores happen FASTER than others and you WON'T score every time you touch the ball but I'm not WASTING series trying to ESTABLISH the run against teams with STRONG d-lines ONLY because I'm trying to PROTECT the defense! At the end of the day it's the SCOREBOARD that counts. I have a BETTER solution for our defense... MAKE some plays so you can FORCE some three and outs!! The defense is still getting PAID nfl money to STOP opposing offenses period! In a perfect world long drives help but I'm not passing on ANY chance to SCORE fast or slow.

What I mean by an ATTACK first offense is one that is TRYING to score on EVERY possession! Of course some scores happen FASTER than others and you WON'T score every time you touch the ball but I'm not WASTING series trying to ESTABLISH the run against teams with STRONG d-lines ONLY because I'm trying to PROTECT the defense! At the end of the day it's the SCOREBOARD that counts. I have a BETTER solution for our defense... MAKE some plays so you can FORCE some three and outs!! The defense is still getting PAID nfl money to STOP opposing offenses period! In a perfect world long drives help but I'm not passing on ANY chance to SCORE fast or slow.

Secret message in your post (CAPS words):   Attack, trying every faster, won't wasting establish strong only protect scoreboard better make force paid stop any score

My interpretation:    Keep pressing on the gas pedal regardless if you are up by 40, keep scoring to protect from stronger teams coming back on us.  If that doesn't work, pay the refs to stop teams from scoring.

I may be reading too into your post......

It's on Luck. If he can stop turning the ball over at an alarming rate this offense will be great.

I'm STILL a big Peyton fan but at the end of the day Luck is AHEAD of Peyton in almost EVERY stat that Peyton was at this point of his career with LESS ints to boot. If I'm not mistaken Peyton STILL holds the rookie record for ints for a qb in the NFL! More funny was that last year they showed Luck's stats compared to Brady's at the same point in their careers and Brady had the EXACT amount of ints while attempting less passes so it's safe to say we've seen this picture before.

Secret message in your post (CAPS words):   Attack, trying every faster, won't wasting establish strong only protect scoreboard better make force paid stop any score

My interpretation:    Keep pressing on the gas pedal regardless if you are up by 40, keep scoring to protect from stronger teams coming back on us.  If that doesn't work, pay the refs to stop teams from scoring.

I may be reading too into your post......

Lol... No secret message but your breakdown was cool though! :thmup:

What is Chuck Pagano's mantra?     Run the ball and stop the run on defense.    WHY?!?

Because it's easier to win on offense if you have balance,  and it's easier to win on defense if you make the opposing offense one dimensional.

So,  if we're playing a team with a good run defense we HAVE TO try and establish the run.   HAVE TO.    Because otherwise,  we've helped them by making ourselves one dimensional.

PLUS....

The Colts and EVERY TEAM IN THE NFL SINCE THE DAWN OF TIME are trying to score on EVERY DRIVE except late in the game when you have a big lead and you're trying to eat the clock.      Otherwise,  they're trying to score.     Even if it doesn't look that way to you in the stands or sitting at home watching TV.

Sorry.    We will try to establish the run against both Buffalo and the New York Jets.   We likely won't be that successful.   But we're not throwing the ball 40-50 times in those games,  unless we fall behind and panic.   (Which we have done before) 

You may not like the running game,  but smart NFL teams do.    You have to TRY to establish the ground game.   By failing to try and failing to succeed,  you make your offense one dimensional which makes it easier to defend.    And we don't want that.

I'm STILL a big Peyton fan but at the end of the day Luck is AHEAD of Peyton in almost EVERY stat that Peyton was at this point of his career with LESS ints to boot. If I'm not mistaken Peyton STILL holds the rookie record for ints for a qb in the NFL! More funny was that last year they showed Luck's stats compared to Brady's at the same point in their careers and Brady had the EXACT amount of ints while attempting less passes so it's safe to say we've seen this picture before.

I'm not sure why people like to compare Luck to Manning when the conversation has absolutely nothing to do with Manning. Andrew Luck turns the ball over way too much, especially in the playoffs. That has nothing to do with Peyton Manning whether Peyton throws 50 interceptions or none.