Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chris Johnson to Broncos is a possibility

Shane Bond

I guess it depends how you define success. Most one and done's and most post-season losses all time would not rank it as success. And of course within those losses the Indy offense scored an average of 16 points which was a big drop off in most cases from its average during the regular season.

Too much predictability. If a good NFL defense knows what it will get then it will shut it down. You could see that in the Super Bowl. Seattle walked on to that field knowing it could shut down the most historic offense in NFL history. 

I guess it depends how you define success. Most one and done's and most post-season losses all time would not rank it as success. And of course within those losses the Indy offense scored an average of 16 points which was a big drop off in most cases from its average during the regular season.

Averages again are faulty barometers because its different teams and different years...//more so in football than any other sport

But the 'definition of success' thing is the key.......I agree totally.....and its worthy of deep discussion

Everybody wants to win the title but only one team does and just 2 play for it...so I've always though of pro football success as winning your division or making the playoffs..

I really do believe that winning key division games late in the year is as 'big' a game as winning a non-Super Bowl post-season game.

Example: Carolina is thought of as having had a very successful season last year while Denver, SF and NE are though of as failures because they didnt achieve ultimate success after so much success..in previous years.  Its too easy to look for a reason why teams lose more often in the playoffs than they win....ignoring that that's the natural order..that's the way its set up.  Few say the 'Green Bay offense' wont win in the playoffs because they haven't won that many division titles..in the last 15 years

I think we look at things incorrectly.....but, since every playoff team but one ends up losing....they all do finish as losers...

Too much predictability. If a good NFL defense knows what it will get then it will shut it down. You could see that in the Super Bowl. Seattle walked on to that field knowing it could shut down the most historic offense in NFL history. 

Seattle didn't know what was going to happen....against Denver anymore than Kansas City did .That's some of that revisionist history...

From the 'wait till it happens and then tell us you knew all along" school of thought

Remember how SF couldnt shut down Baltimore in the previous Super Bowl...

Sometimes offense wins..sometimes defense wins...