Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

This Years Draft

Since all of our immediate needs were filled via free agency, and we 'appear' to be better on paper I feel as though this draft will be all about 2014 and beyond........it probably won't be a sexy draft by any stretch of the imagination, but my gut tells me that we'll draft for future starters/depth for this season.  As an example:

Reggie Wayne - 34 years old - Current Number 1 receiver and will need to be replaced at some point.  Drafting his replacement to learn the craft under a pressure free environment for a year or two would be great.

Cory Redding - 32 years old - Currently our best DLineman, however, his replacement needs drafted as well to learn and how to play the position.  I don't think Mathews or Nevis are the longterm answers as they were drafted to play in the 4-3. 

Robert Mathis - 32 years old - Currently our best pass rusher and certainly needs a replacement to be groomed to take over.  While Hughes and Sidbury (et al) are on the roster, has anyone seen enough to suggest that there is a competant rush linebacker on the roster behind him?

Aubreyo Franklin/Brandon McKinney - Age aside, neither of these two are the long term answer to the NG position and Chapman is still an unknown commodity, don't think for one second that a NG isn't on the draft board somewhere!

Antoine Bethea - 28 years old - While I don't like the prospect of letting him go after the 2014 season, depth is still a concern going into this year.  Lets say a late selection is made and that draftee puts together a solid rookie season and shows immense potential.........it certainly would save a few buck retaining the draftee versus the cagey vet thats gonna want 5+ million a year (approximately).

So if we stay with our current picks, without trading back, all of these positions could be drafted at various points and groomed into potential starters a year or two down the road. The only first round pick was Wayne, so talent can be found up and down the draft baord for these positions!

Just my .02!

The only two positions that I think we could upgrade at starter in this draft, assuming our free agents all work out the way we hope, are guard, corner and inside linebacker. The depth at guard and linebacker, plus the lack of top notch options there at #24 probably means we don't take either in the first round. If Rhodes or Hayden or even Trufant last, I could see us taking one of them.

Past the first round, everyone is going to be a long term projection, someone who might compete for a starting spot right away, but most will be depth right away.

I would say Bjoern Werner fits the mold of understudy to Robert Mathis AND potential starter opposite him if he "can set the edge" better than Hughes or Walden.............as Pagano likes to say!

Stage 1 of five complete...........let's see who gets drafted tomorrow in the 3rd Round!