Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What Could Have Been....

cmgww

The sting of last night's loss is made worse by the fact that, with a healthy Peyton, the Colts probably win last night by two TDs. I know "ifs and buts"......but come on. We'd be at worst 2-1 right now, and possibly 3-0 (Houston would have still been a tough out, they are a lot better this year)

What bums me out the most is that there are so many improvements over last year. The running game, the O line pushing people off the ball, the defensive front is much better, all that is missing is the MOST IMPORTANT PIECE of the puzzle...18

Sure there are still issues: the defensive secondary, ST play, pass blocking though it's getting a bit better, etc. But the secondary problems are magnified when they are on the field so long (wouldn't happen with Peyton)

Oh well, I still will cheer this team on till the end. But with a solid draft and addressing some of our weaknesses, 2012 could be a great season...perhaps the one where 18 and the boys pick up their second SB ring.

Thoughts?

I mostly disagree.

First, you can't really compare our offense of this year and last year because it's just so dramatic without Manning (Yeah I understand this is a WHAT IF scenario) but even still I just don't see our offense making TONS of improvements. However, I do agree that our O-line does appear better working together this year but even our run game does NOT prove we are better running the ball. We are averaging 90 yards a game this year and in 2010 we averaged 92.7 yards per game. So really I don't think we have improved at all (it's in the numbers).

Secondly, our defense is NOT better this year. We are allowing 365 yards per game compared with 346.1 yards per game in 2010. We have gotten worse (by the numbers). We are right in the basic same slot for yards/game allowed from last year, 19th vs 20th respectively. We still have trouble getting off the field on 3rd down and we can't seem to hold teams when it matters the MOST.

Hey don't misunderstand me, I think the Colts are indeed on the right track. I think having Manning GONE for this year was a GREAT thing for the TEAM. I think the entire organization can now sit back and recognize that indeed 18 was the most important factor for our success. Any time you rely THAT much on one person you are definitely leaving yourself open to so many vulnerabilities elsewhere. If the organizational decision makers can actually pull their head out of the sand they will see this and make sure they sure don't let that happen again. We have got to be able to inter-switch players and still remain extremely competitive. This "Next Man Up" crap they talk about is really only in the colts coaching staff's mind..because not many actually can or will step up and help keep our team competitive. We pay too much in too few positions.

Well Colts fans, I'm with you all, it's still our team and we're still fans!

Run defense is better but pass coverage seems to have gotten worse but the defense is better overall.

The numbers don't tell the whole story. While total yards allowed is a little worse this year, its because our defense is on the field more than they ever have been.

So when you factor that in the defense is better than last years.

Run defense is better but pass coverage seems to have gotten worse but the defense is better overall.

The numbers don't tell the whole story. While total yards allowed is a little worse this year, its because our defense is on the field more than they ever have been.

So when you factor that in the defense is better than last years.

I mostly disagree.

First, you can't really compare our offense of this year and last year because it's just so dramatic without Manning (Yeah I understand this is a WHAT IF scenario) but even still I just don't see our offense making TONS of improvements. However, I do agree that our O-line does appear better working together this year but even our run game does NOT prove we are better running the ball. We are averaging 90 yards a game this year and in 2010 we averaged 92.7 yards per game. So really I don't think we have improved at all (it's in the numbers).

Secondly, our defense is NOT better this year. We are allowing 365 yards per game compared with 346.1 yards per game in 2010. We have gotten worse (by the numbers). We are right in the basic same slot for yards/game allowed from last year, 19th vs 20th respectively. We still have trouble getting off the field on 3rd down and we can't seem to hold teams when it matters the MOST.

Hey don't misunderstand me, I think the Colts are indeed on the right track. I think having Manning GONE for this year was a GREAT thing for the TEAM. I think the entire organization can now sit back and recognize that indeed 18 was the most important factor for our success. Any time you rely THAT much on one person you are definitely leaving yourself open to so many vulnerabilities elsewhere. If the organizational decision makers can actually pull their head out of the sand they will see this and make sure they sure don't let that happen again. We have got to be able to inter-switch players and still remain extremely competitive. This "Next Man Up" crap they talk about is really only in the colts coaching staff's mind..because not many actually can or will step up and help keep our team competitive. We pay too much in too few positions.

Well Colts fans, I'm with you all, it's still our team and we're still fans!

most of the yardage stats on d can be attributed to a defense that is on the field so long,due to a 3 and out offense.

If you could take last years defense or the year before that, and put them on the field as long as they are now. Then try and tell me that this defense hasn't gotten better.

Wait, the defense used to spend alot of time on the field as well. Here's the difference. Manning's offense would score quickly, putting the D back on the field with a advantage since the opponent would be playing catch up.

Or the defense would stay on the field because they couldn't stop the opponents from converting.

This year our defense does not have any advantages(playing with a lead), they're getting 3 in outs, they're also getting turnovers.

I mostly disagree.

I have to disagree with you on this post. I think the numbers are pretty misleading here, especially on the defensive side. Because the offense is so unable to throw the ball this year, we haven't been able to stay on the field at all. However, our running game is looking a lot better this year than it has the past few seasons. And our defense is playing much better as well, especially our run D. Take last night for example. I don't remember what point in the game it was, but we were holding them to right around 1 ypc. It was something like 9 runs for 11 yards. Not only that, but I believe this season we are averaging close to, if not more yards rushing than our opponents, which is a huge change from how it has been in the past.

Some other numbers that may have something to do with the amount of yards we're allowing, or how few yards we're picking up is time of possession. I'd be very interested to see what our average is for that this year as compared to last year. I'd be willing to bet that we're averaging much less than we did last year. Anyway, all that to say I think that our running game has improved a lot, and our defense has kept the last 2 games close, so I think we're improving quite a bit as a team. Go Colts!

I have to disagree with you on this post. I think the numbers are pretty misleading here, especially on the defensive side. Because the offense is so unable to throw the ball this year, we haven't been able to stay on the field at all. However, our running game is looking a lot better this year than it has the past few seasons. And our defense is playing much better as well, especially our run D. Take last night for example. I don't remember what point in the game it was, but we were holding them to right around 1 ypc. It was something like 9 runs for 11 yards. Not only that, but I believe this season we are averaging close to, if not more yards rushing than our opponents, which is a huge change from how it has been in the past.

Some other numbers that may have something to do with the amount of yards we're allowing, or how few yards we're picking up is time of possession. I'd be very interested to see what our average is for that this year as compared to last year. I'd be willing to bet that we're averaging much less than we did last year. Anyway, all that to say I think that our running game has improved a lot, and our defense has kept the last 2 games close, so I think we're improving quite a bit as a team. Go Colts!

Total yardage can be completely misleading.