Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Top Qb Not Being Luck...

Kyle

I was just thinking about how much hype there is around Andrew Luck. He is a good QB but like others on here have said, there are some other good QBs in this draft. Lets say a team who does not have a franchise QB on their roster gets the 1st overall pick and takes a QB other than Luck. Would you, or would you not, consider this a bigger surprise than when the colts took Manning instead of Leaf?

Of course it would. I don't where people are getting this false premise that Leaf was the better QB coming out of college. It wasn't a surprise at all that the Colts took Manning. Leaf was considered by some people(certainly not the majority) to have a higher ceiling than Manning simply because he had a stronger arm.

I was just thinking about how much hype there is around Andrew Luck. He is a good QB but like others on here have said, there are some other good QBs in this draft. Lets say a team who does not have a franchise QB on their roster gets the 1st overall pick and takes a QB other than Luck. Would you, or would you not, consider this a bigger surprise than when the colts took Manning instead of Leaf?

You mean that choice was a surprise to the Colts Fans? Well karma being what it is it the Colts to get Ryan Leafed.

Unlike when Manning and Leaf were drafted there is no head to head battle. They're is Luck, than the others. Yes, it is that much of a difference in talent. Landry Jones is good, Barkley is good, but they ain't Luck. They have flaws that if corrected will be great NFL Quarterbacks. The only one who can sidetrack Andrew is, Andrew! With Peyton as a teacher I would not mind seeing Landry or Matt if Luck is off the board when the Colt's pick.

Unlike when Manning and Leaf were drafted there is no head to head battle. They're is Luck, than the others. Yes, it is that much of a difference in talent. Landry Jones is good, Barkley is good, but they ain't Luck. They have flaws that if corrected will be great NFL Quarterbacks. The only one who can sidetrack Andrew is, Andrew! With Peyton as a teacher I would not mind seeing Landry or Matt if Luck is off the board when the Colt's pick.

IMO Matt Barkley has BUST written all over him.

Yes, without a doubt. Leaf and Manning were both candidates for the 1st overall pick, but this year, I don't see anyone competing with Luck for the top selection.

i think barkley would be a bust, but Andrew luck, Kellen Moore and Landry Jones i think would be good!! As much as i shouldnt like landry right now because im a Seminole fan and he beat us this weekend!! lol but i think any one of them 3 would be good behind manning for a cpl years and come out and blow up!!!

I don't think Peyton teaching QB mechanics to someone who would make a great system QB is a good idea at all. In fact, I wouldn't think Peyton for a good QB coach in any capacity, because he does a lot of things that coaches would scream at QB's for.

If he hasn't been able to groom anyone by this point, no matter their perceived talent, he wouldn't be "grooming" Luck either.

Manning's talents are better suited as an offensive coordinator, not a QB coach.

I also don't think it makes sense to draft an allegedly "NFL-ready" QB and sit him for 4 years. It's better to take someone a bit raw who can be molded. That's a waste of Luck's perceived talent. It's unfair to him and his chances for success early in his career, as he'd be starting day 1 somewhere else.

Don't need him to teach mechanics. A guy like Peyton would help a young quarterback be teaching him to properly read defenses, when and why he checks out of a certain play by the opposing teams personnel on the field. Coaches can change bad mechanics, they can't account for experience. I agree that Peyton would make a terrible QB coach, but what he can teach on film study, what little quirks in defensive players make them open up what they are about to do.

Luck is getting a lot of hype, and most deservedly so. He's a prototypical pocket QB: great size, arm, smarts (going to Stanford, major in Architectural Engineering/Design, not exactly underwater basketweaving)...The parallels to Manning are there. Stayed for his senior year even though he was pegged #1 overall, NFL QB father, intelligent off the field, VERY accurate (70.7% completion % last season), etc.

I have not heard anything that is similar to what scouts were saying about Leaf (work ethic sucked, party guy, bad attitude), that would lead me to believe he'd be a flat out bust in the NFL.

I think he's the best QB prospect to come out in a good while. Again this is all conjecture at this point and in 5 years this post may look stupid, but all signs point to him having a solid if not great NFL career. He lost a lot of talent and his head coach from last season and thus far has looked just as good (I know it's early).

The parallels to Peyton are a big reason why so many on here want the "suck for Luck" campaign to roll all season. I don't like that attitude, b/c I want the Colts to win. However, he would fit nicely into the system here (Stanford runs a pro-style offense, not some insane spread/veer thing that's all the rage in college ball right now), and would benefit for 3-4 years as heir apparent to Manning.

But don't sleep on Kellen Moore, either. He's a bit short, but then again they said that about Drew Brees. He is playing lights out, AFTER losing his top two WRs from last year. He has a live arm, sees the field well, and since he'll fall in the draft b/c most teams are obsessed with measureables when it comes to the QB position, perhaps if we go 7-9 (my prediction if Manning is out the season) we could nab Moore. The kid just wins and against big time opponents with superior talent. That is a trait that can't be taught...

I think the colts should just use Painter this year as starting QB. and get rid of Collins . This way Painter will get the training that he needs to be a good back up QB. for Manning in the coming years .

why not pick up gerrard from jacksonville hes a quality qb but does not know the system let painter finish the season