Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Broncos Kuper started / played playoff game on a Re-Broke Ankle, needs redo, declines pro bowl offer

bayone

Broncos guard Chris Kuper needs surgery, declines Pro Bowl

impending surgery to repair what turned out to be another break in his lower left fibula.

The break is in the same area where Kuper suffered a severe left ankle dislocation during the final game of the 2011 regular season.

The initial injury, which occurred Jan. 1, 2012, in a 7-3 loss against the Kansas City Chiefs, was more serious. The dislocation caused multiple breaks in the fibula and several ligament tears. During surgery a plate was inserted with several screws to help repair the damage.

Not everything about the surgery took, one reason Kuper this time will be operated on by Dr. Bob Anderson in Charlotte, N.C.

"This one is less traumatic," Kuper said. "It doesn't have all the other things wrong in there so I'm optimistic it will be a normal recovery."

First he missed the entire 2012 offseason program to recover from his ankle/leg injury.

Then after he returned for training camp, he broke his left forearm during practice, an injury that did not allow him to play guard through the first five regular-season games.

In his third game at right guard, Nov. 4 at Cincinnati, Kuper reinjured his left ankle. At the time, X-rays did not reveal a fracture. Kuper sat out the next two games and returned to play in two more games.

But in the days before the Broncos' game at Oakland, the pain in Kuper's left ankle/lower left leg inflamed and he was scratched from the Thursday night, Dec. 6 game against the Raiders.

X-rays this time revealed a break where the plate - which had been holding the fibula — was shattered.

((  Timeline , my determination -- thus suggests  he re-broke it during Tampa game DATE: Sunday, December 2  ))

Kuper missed the final 4 games of season yet  started for the Broncos playoff game.

Read more:Broncos guard Chris Kuper needs surgery, declines Pro Bowl - The Denver Posthttp://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_22426823/broncos-guard-chris-kuper-needs-surgery-declines-pro#ixzz2IkZTKSHO

Broncos guard Chris Kuper needs surgery, declines Pro Bowl

impending surgery to repair what turned out to be another break in his lower left fibula.

The break is in the same area where Kuper suffered a severe left ankle dislocation during the final game of the 2011 regular season.

The initial injury, which occurred Jan. 1, 2012, in a 7-3 loss against the Kansas City Chiefs, was more serious. The dislocation caused multiple breaks in the fibula and several ligament tears. During surgery a plate was inserted with several screws to help repair the damage.

Not everything about the surgery took, one reason Kuper this time will be operated on by Dr. Bob Anderson in Charlotte, N.C.

"This one is less traumatic," Kuper said. "It doesn't have all the other things wrong in there so I'm optimistic it will be a normal recovery."

First he missed the entire 2012 offseason program to recover from his ankle/leg injury.

Then after he returned for training camp, he broke his left forearm during practice, an injury that did not allow him to play guard through the first five regular-season games.

In his third game at right guard, Nov. 4 at Cincinnati, Kuper reinjured his left ankle. At the time, X-rays did not reveal a fracture. Kuper sat out the next two games and returned to play in two more games.

But in the days before the Broncos' game at Oakland, the pain in Kuper's left ankle/lower left leg inflamed and he was scratched from the Thursday night, Dec. 6 game against the Raiders.

X-rays this time revealed a break where the plate - which had been holding the fibula — was shattered.

((  Timeline , my determination -- thus suggests  he re-broke it during Tampa game DATE: Sunday, December 2  ))

Kuper missed the final 4 games of season yet  started for the Broncos playoff game.

Read more:Broncos guard Chris Kuper needs surgery, declines Pro Bowl - The Denver Posthttp://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_22426823/broncos-guard-chris-kuper-needs-surgery-declines-pro#ixzz2IkZTKSHO

Wow, poor Kuper. I feel for him esp after the last season's horrible injury. He really struggled in the game as did Clady who will miss Pro Bowl with (real) shoulder injury. Now I know why. We even missed Manny. I hope he can recover fully. He is a very good player and we need him back strong for the next season.

Concerning of course, but I'm also scratching my head about how he made the pro-bowl while only starting five games. That's ridiculous.

Totally agree , way article put it was

-------------------------

Still, Kuper had demonstrated enough during his previous five seasons as a starter to become a second alternate for the AFC Pro Bowl team.

When Kuper was forced to decline, Broncos left guard Zane Beadles went to Hawaii in Kuper's stead.

The 2013 Pro Bowl game, which has John Fox and his Broncos coaching staff leading the AFC team that includes six Broncos players, will be played Sunday in Aloha Stadium.

--------------------------------------------

As Fox is coach does he have a say  in second alternate, dont know how many alternates there are & instead another Broncos gets in

Obviously  Fox new of his ankle

If people voted based on scattering of 5 great games esp when compared to his sub Ramirez who was just awful in pass coverage then its crazy really a crazy system & fan votes are only 1/3 of it so sounds quite weird to me to Mac

anyway have a great night 

From Article

The initial injury, which occurred Jan. 1, 2012, in a 7-3 loss against the Kansas City Chiefs, was more serious. The dislocation caused multiple breaks in the fibula and several ligament tears.

During surgery a plate was inserted with several screws to help repair the damage.

X-rays this time revealed a break where the plate — which had been holding the fibula — was shattered.

I am stunned as he didnt complain after the game of a problem untill later and was always called a scar irritation

I should of done the procedure, its not difficult at all, In fact had 5 abkle redos my first week in practice from previous poor surgical results of office I bought

in fact 1 of my ankles is far worse I could get technically why but leave it at that , also a metal plate and 6 screws was needed and that was just one side of my ankle as both leg bones tibia besides fibula broke and so many pieces that sheared off all ligaments on both sides needding reconstruction as am sure Kupers did since torn, plus as leg bones separated I needed besides the plate & u its scews ,  a screw placed across the 2 leg bones at a different level, knowing in time that particular screw probabl;y would break due to   the slight   natural  movement between the 2 bones, its only used to allow the ligament between the 2 bones that is shatttered to reheal and for all to scar in place as leg bones heal in correct position ,  then if breaks who cares , and using techniques from 1988 my good friend did mine and still it works & no pain at all

True I dont play football so dont have that stress but if they are changing surgeons I wonder how the screws were placed across the fracture site, I am not saying this is the cause , nor calling out the surgeon ,  but if placed wrong , that is were threads end the screws themselves could have caused a natural loosening and re opening up of the fracture site allowing for the full break that has now occurred, 

OF COURSE THIS IS ALL SPECULATION as who knows real facts, just what is offered