Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Gary Brackett Injury

swflacoltsfans

We'd have to blitz first to take advantage of that...I am really growing to hate Coyer...I was never crazy about the higher in the first place. At this point there was zero point to firing Meeks it's roughly the same defense.

That is true, coyer has done very little to change the defense... BUT during the 2nd half they were blitzing more, im guessing that was to counter the boot if only they were doing that earlier into the game... the whole thing about the colts adjusting in the 2nd half to the defense or offense kinda make it sounds like the colts dont game plan ENOUGH at the start of the game in the first place, i know that may not be true but it doesnt look like they are being outcoached, it just seems like they are bent on keeping one player playing one position over the other.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

from rotoworld

Colts coach Jim Caldwell has ruled out MLB Gary Brackett (shoulder) and LB Ernie Sims (knee) for Week 2.

The Colts haven't revealed the nature of Brackett's injury, but it's another unneeded blow to an Indianapolis run defense that has no prayer. Look for Pat Angerer to move from the strong side to middle linebacker, where he'll start against the Browns. WLB Kavell Conner is expected to play Sunday, but is battling a bum left foot. Philip Wheeler figures to start at Sam. Peyton Hillis will be the best matchup-play running back in the NFL this week.

from rotoworld

Colts coach Jim Caldwell has ruled out MLB Gary Brackett (shoulder) and LB Ernie Sims (knee) for Week 2.

The Colts haven't revealed the nature of Brackett's injury, but it's another unneeded blow to an Indianapolis run defense that has no prayer. Look for Pat Angerer to move from the strong side to middle linebacker, where he'll start against the Browns. WLB Kavell Conner is expected to play Sunday, but is battling a bum left foot. Philip Wheeler figures to start at Sam. Peyton Hillis will be the best matchup-play running back in the NFL this week.

Angerer feels natural at MLB, maybe a blessing in disguise to see what he can do at MLB. If he does well, move Brackett to WILL when he comes back, like we shuffled Rob Morris, I think it will work, IMO.

from rotoworld

Wait he's not being listed as questionable and we aren't being told he could play if it was must win game? That means it's not that bad OR it's really bad... I am not sure which. I am not sure how I feel about this Colts giving real injury updats thing yet...

Angerer feels natural at MLB, maybe a blessing in disguise to see what he can do at MLB. If he does well, move Brackett to WILL when he comes back, like we shuffled Rob Morris, I think it will work, IMO.

He feels natural till he's asked to drop back into pass coverage then everyone talks about how slow he is and how if Brackett were there he would make those plays. At least that's what everyone said last year when Brackett got hurt and Angerer got moved to MLB for a couple of games. Angerer is a better run stopper than Gary and Gary is a better pass stopper than Angerer. I think for the way our defense is built and with what Gary does in the defense (calls the plays for the front seven) they have them both starting in the right spots and I think they are our best two linebackers so you want them on the field. They let Angerer attack the run from his linebacking spot while letting Gary also be able to drop back into pass coverage from his MLB spot from time-to-time. Angerer can attack the run from either spot and with most big runs coming at the DE spot on the outside one could argue you want your better run stopper there anyways. Brackett can't patrol the middle of the field in pass defense from the OLB spot.

from rotoworld

How could anyone say that Brackett being out is a blow to our run defense? If anything our run defense automatically improves with him being out.

I agree. I would never wish an injury on a player (possible exception goes to Cortland Finnegan) even one I don't like as much as I don't like Brackett. However, I do like Angerer moving back to MLB. I will still concede that overall this is a blow to the LB core and to the defense but this is due more to Brackett's experience and leadership than his actual talent and ability. And I love the idea of him moving to WILL...been saying that for a while now and you seem to be the first one to feel the same. :)

He feels natural till he's asked to drop back into pass coverage then everyone talks about how slow he is and how if Brackett were there he would make those plays. At least that's what everyone said last year when Brackett got hurt and Angerer got moved to MLB for a couple of games. Angerer is a better run stopper than Gary and Gary is a better pass stopper than Angerer. I think for the way our defense is built and with what Gary does in the defense (calls the plays for the front seven) they have them both starting in the right spots and I think they are our best two linebackers so you want them on the field. They let Angerer attack the run from his linebacking spot while letting Gary also be able to drop back into pass coverage from his MLB spot from time-to-time. Angerer can attack the run from either spot and with most big runs coming at the DE spot on the outside one could argue you want your better run stopper there anyways. Brackett can't patrol the middle of the field in pass defense from the OLB spot.

Brackett hasn't been making as many plays vs the pass recently because he has had to sell out to the run, so the depth that he drops down to in pass coverage has not been as deep as he used to get back to. Thus, it reduces the number of plays he can make versus the pass, IMO. Most of the plays that he makes on run D have been around the C gap (close to the tackles) when he gets to roam and hit the gap there. He rarely gets to roam if he has to shed an O-lineman as MLB in the middle. So, he might as well play outside the tackles which is where most QBs run their bootlegs and quick outs to RBs/TEs, those quick outs have killed us over the years. He will have a better chance to make plays vs both the run and pass at WILL, along those lines. If we think Angerer is a liability vs the pass, why not rotate some zone coverage with safety help in that direction, it would not be hard to do, IMO. Besides, Angerer is a quick learner, IMO. He had that pass TD given up to Finley in pre-season but followed it up with an instinctive TD pass break up vs the Bengals in the end zone. We cannot just give up after a few games.

I would very much prefer it being a safety patrolling the middle of the field in pass defense than the MLB. Yes I know that's the whole premise of the Tampa 2 but I'm not exactly a fan of the Tampa 2 except in 2nd/3rd and long (10+) yardage. I specified 10+ not to infer you wouldn't know what long yardage meant, but to merely specify because in general, 2nd and 7+ and 3rd and 7+ are considered by many to be long yardage but on these downs I'd still prefer to keep the MLB closer to the LOS than back with the safeties 15 yards deep.

because in general, 2nd and 7+ and 3rd and 7+ are considered by many to be long yardage but on these downs I'd still prefer to keep the MLB closer to the LOS than back with the safeties 15 yards deep.

Another reason to do so is the draw play after the DEs vacate their area and runs are directed in that area to gain that 1st down yardage, happens even on 3rd downs against us. It does give us an extra defender to guard against that. It is harder to go back and then react and come back and take on an O-lineman/TE with a full head of steam then.

Another reason to do so is the draw play after the DEs vacate their area and runs are directed in that area to gain that 1st down yardage, happens even on 3rd downs against us. It does give us an extra defender to guard against that. It is harder to go back and then react and come back and take on an O-lineman/TE with a full head of steam then.

Very much agreed. Plus, to those commenting about Angerer's deficiencies in pass coverage...maybe if we kept him closer to the LOS where he would be covering RB/FB/TE or WR on short crossing routes as opposed to playing deep coverage with the safeties in more open field against WR's then perhaps he wouldn't look so lost in coverage. Just a thought.

Brackett is perhaps the best coverage LB in the league...I will give him that. Not many MLB's could play middle-deep zone covering WR's with any amount of success but he has proven he's been able to make plays on a semi-consistent basis. However, what I don't understand is this. Dungy takes a college safety in Cato June and plays him at OLB. We get Bob Sanders and play him in the box and against the run the majority of the time and all the while we're taking our MIKE and playing him in middle-deep zone coverage. Am I the only one that considers this to all be just a little backwards? :hmm:

Maybe, and this is just a thought, we should get a MIKE who is a legitimate MIKE and let him play against the run. Then perhaps our safeties can stop getting hurt from having to play the run so much.

:)

Very much agreed. Plus, to those commenting about Angerer's deficiencies in pass coverage...maybe if we kept him closer to the LOS where he would be covering RB/FB/TE or WR on short crossing routes as opposed to playing deep coverage with the safeties in more open field against WR's then perhaps he wouldn't look so lost in coverage. Just a thought.

:)

Unless you are an extremely talented TE like Clark, Finley, Graham, the Pats' TEs etc. that can get behind LBs and give teams fits, those TEs are the norm now, it seems like. That is where you develop pass coverage LBs like an Adrian Moten etc. for passing situations or play nickel with a 3rd safety instead of a third CB. Bullitt can definitely play nickel, he is fast enough to do so, and big enough to play the run.

from rotoworld

Brackett talked to reporters and said the shoulder was “still sore.” He left open the possibility it could improve enough to play Sunday. He was hurt when tackled after an interception return.

“Just some edema in there, some swelling,” Brackett said. “We’ll see how it recovers.

“Right now, we’re just taking it day-by-day. Hopefully it improves. If not, it’s the next man up.”

My link