Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Game Winning Drive: Question in search of an Answer....

NewColtsFan

So....

On the last drive, Luck completes two 20-yard passes and suddenly we're at the Vikings 40.

Then, Luck finds Wayne with a quick pass for 7-8 yards. But there's a penalty on the Vikings for 5-yards.

I'm literally saying out loud.... 'decline it'.... with little clock left, the important thing was gaining yards to shorten the possible FG.

But, we accepted it and instead of the ball spotted at the 32-33, we took the ball back to the 35 where we snapped it for the FG.

My question is this..... why did we accept the penalty? Why didn't we decline it and be 2-3 yards closer for Vinatierri's kick?

There must be something I don't understand. The announcers seemed a bit perplexed as well.

Apologies if this has already been addressed elsewhere, if so, I didn't see it.

Thanks for the answer....

So....

On the last drive, Luck completes two 20-yard passes and suddenly we're at the Vikings 40.

Then, Luck finds Wayne with a quick pass for 7-8 yards. But there's a penalty on the Vikings for 5-yards.

I'm literally saying out loud.... 'decline it'.... with little clock left, the important thing was gaining yards to shorten the possible FG.

But, we accepted it and instead of the ball spotted at the 32-33, we took the ball back to the 35 where we snapped it for the FG.

My question is this..... why did we accept the penalty? Why didn't we decline it and be 2-3 yards closer for Vinatierri's kick?

There must be something I don't understand. The announcers seemed a bit perplexed as well.

Apologies if this has already been addressed elsewhere, if so, I didn't see it.

Thanks for the answer....

Not sure if you watch the press conference videos on here but Coach P explains why they accepted the penalty. paraphrasing... he said they were under the impression the clock will start up when they blew the whistle to start the play clock.

It's a good question... I just posted in another thread that part of the final drive was Caldwellesque..

The ball was marked down at the 33... you decline the penalty..,.... The team will be up to the line before the restart the clock... Let it tick down to the final 3-4 seconds, and then spike it... Send Adam out and you have a shorter FG and the clock should expire with the kick. If you hit it.. Ball game is over.. If you miss it, then on to overtime.

The way it played out, the moved the ball back to the 35. Luck spikes the ball(for what reason I'm not sure), The clock wasn't running at that point and even if it was, that is a good thing...

It was just mishandled all around... Maybe the refs confused them.

It's a good question... I just posted in another thread that part of the final drive was Caldwellesque..

The ball was marked down at the 33... you decline the penalty..,.... The team will be up to the line before the restart the clock... Let it tick down to the final 3-4 seconds, and then spike it... Send Adam out and you have a shorter FG and the clock should expire with the kick. If you hit it.. Ball game is over.. If you miss it, then on to overtime.

The way it played out, the moved the ball back to the 35. Luck spikes the ball(for what reason I'm not sure), The clock wasn't running at that point and even if it was, that is a good thing...

It was just mishandled all around... Maybe the refs confused them.

Thanks, FJC....

I watched Andrew's post-game interview... he freely admits they were confused on whether the clock was stopped or would run and that's why they spiked it. Said it was a bit confusing and, yes, a bit embarrassing that they screwed it up and he's glad it didn't cost them.

But no one seemed to ask why they accepted the penalty and moved back two yards. Oh well..

At least I wasn't alone.... thanks so much for weighing in....

This week will go a lot smoother than last one.... so nice to have our first in the 'W' column....

Accepting the penalty should kill the clock though....right? Since it was on the defense inside of 2:00?

Yes, but killing the clock could have easily been accomplished by clocking the ball.. Which was done anyway, even with it stopped before the snap.

In that scenario, since there was a flag, the clock is stopped to sort out the penalty... If the Colts decline it they are going to restart the clock..(a good thing), let it run down... the clock the ball, and send on the kicker...

Thanks, FJC....

I watched Andrew's post-game interview... he freely admits they were confused on whether the clock was stopped or would run and that's why they spiked it. Said it was a bit confusing and, yes, a bit embarrassing that they screwed it up and he's glad it didn't cost them.

But no one seemed to ask why they accepted the penalty and moved back two yards. Oh well..

At least I wasn't alone.... thanks so much for weighing in....

This week will go a lot smoother than last one.... so nice to have our first in the 'W' column....

I didn't see the interviews and the colts media site doesn't have the transcripts up yet.. So I wasn't sure what was addressed or what was even asked...

Hopefully that is attributed more to inexperienced refs than a rookie head coach( i hate that term) because an NFL head coach has been around the game for a number of years that some aspects such as clock management aren't exactly a fresh topic..

Yes, but killing the clock could have easily been accomplished by clocking the ball.. Which was done anyway, even with it stopped before the snap.

I'd rather a static stoppage to the clock by way of rule as opposed to risking an illegal procedure/false start penalty.....which can and has happened before.

In that scenario, since there was a flag, the clock is stopped to sort out the penalty... If the Colts decline it they are going to restart the clock..(a good thing), let it run down... the clock the ball, and send on the kicker...

I'm not disagreeing with anyone, just conversating....but...I'll take the few extra yards off the FG and not worry about the very very small amount of time (mere seconds) left on the clock. They ended up getting the ball back anyway.

This is somewhat semantic, because either way, we were in control of the situation and the win was on Vinny's leg.

I'd rather a static stoppage to the clock by way of rule as opposed to risking an illegal procedure/false start penalty.....which can and has happened before.

I'm not disagreeing with anyone, just conversating....but...I'll take the few extra yards off the FG and not worry about the very very small amount of time (mere seconds) left on the clock. They ended up getting the ball back anyway.

this is somewhat semantic, because either way, we were in control of the situation and the win was on Vinny's leg.

If the same scenario plays out with the real refs, it might have gone smoother. If the same scenario plays out in 5 years, with Luck/Pagano having more experience it might have gone smoother, but even with everything being what it is, I think it could have been handled better.

The difference was only 2 yards so that is no big deal, but like you said they did get the ball back, and that could have been prevented.