Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Oregon vs Texas this evening Alamo Bowl..

At 6:45 Eastern time, the Alamo Bowl begins, between Texas and Oregon. Mack Brown's last game as Texas Head Coach, and another chance to see a "healthy" Marcus Mariota in action. He's going to show everyone why he is one of the top QB's in college football, and why, when he does come out, he will be one of, if not the first player taken in his draft.

It will be a mostly Texas crowd, since the game will be played a couple hours drive from Austin. This is one of the must see games on the Bowl schedule this year..

I can't wait to see this game, as I am a HUGE Mariota fan, but my favorite player of all time played for Texas (which is sacrilege for a Sooner fan) ..The Tyler Rose himself..Earl Campbell.

I was glad to see Mariota was back to almost 100 percent. His Heisman hopes died when he had a partial tear in his knee, which really hampered his ability to move, which is one of his greatest assets. He was running well, and showed he didn't lose any speed. I swear he's fast enough to be a RB or a great wide out. (6'4" 215..4.43 40)

He had 386 yards of total offense, 18 for 26 for 253 yards and 1 TD, and 15 rushes for 133 yards. He was sacked 2 times and fumbled once, but it went out of bounds. He didn't have to do too much, since Oregon's D scored 2 TD's, and they had a big lead for most of the game. I thought the score should have been higher, but give credit to the Texas D, stopping them 3 times for FG's.

I'm glad he's staying in school..There are a couple of things he needs to work on...He needs to stop holding the ball when running with one hand like he's carrying a bag. That's what causes him to fumble a lot. He won't be able to get away with that in the pro game. He also needs to continue to work his progressions, with his speed, he tends to be like Kaepernik, and take off instead of checking down. His accuracy has improved since last year, and I'm sure he will work on it more and more, and be even better next year. Plus it helps that two other potential high draft picks in C Hroniss Grasu and a CB projected to go 12th in the draft in Ifo Ekpre-Olomu have made it known that they are coming back as well next year.

One thing he does have is one of the smoothest and quick releases in the game today. He stands tall in the pocket, and has great footwork when delivering the ball. He's also got an ability to just lay the ball in there at the correct speed and arc, knowing when he has to fire like a cannon, or just lay it gently into his receiver on a long bomb.

I wish he could spend a lot of time with a great QB or QB coach so that he can continue to improve in all aspects, kinda like Luck did with Peyton.

I know I am somewhat of a homer with Mariota, but in all my 51 years, there have only been two QB's that I have seen in college, that got me so intrigued when I watched them. The other was Peyton Manning...

I just hope he has a long and great career with whatever team he goes to. (I'm praying its not a team I hate, like the Pats, Raiders, or Jets) I know I won't miss a game that he plays.