Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Doyle Article: Comparing Manning's fist 6 games to Richardson's

masterlock

I found this interesting: https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/columnists/gregg-doyel/2024/09/18/colts-qb-anthony-richardson-an-outlier-defying-statistical-explanation/75249368007/

(I would've linked directly to the article but apparently, the mods too away the ability to insert a link.) 

Greg Doyle wrote an article in which he compared Manning's first 6 games as a Rookie to Richardson's.

From the article:

(Richardson) "Six games into his career he’s completing 55.5% of his passer (76-for-137) for 993 yards, six touchdowns and five interceptions. He’s also run for 229 yards and five touchdowns. "

"Six games into his NFL career, Peyton Manning was completing 53.8% of his passes (113-for-210) for 1,364 yards, six touchdowns and 14 interceptions. He’d also run six times for 33 yards and no score. Numerically speaking, Peyton Manning was terrible. And the Colts were 1-5 in 1998."

And lastly:

"Richardson has a similar passing philosophy to Manning circa 1998 – throwing the ball much farther downfield than quarterbacks today, the same as quarterbacks were doing in 1998 – but plays the rest of the game with no comparison to Manning. The footspeed, the willingness to run, the inferior talent around him (Manning was throwing in 1998 to Marshall Faulk and Marvin Harrison, among others)? No comparison."

• Like 1

When somebody whips out the stats it tells me they do not understand the situation much.  With Doyel its not surprising.

The issue with AR is accuracy.  Was Manning inaccurate?  How much did accuracy play a part in the stats that were used? Did Manning try to force the ball because he trusted his arm, while AR just misses a throw?  Big difference.

Doyel is simply trying to excuse AR and found some stats to present so it would look like he was on a no different path than Manning.

• Like 1