Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Hines up next for extension

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, Superman said:

I'm not sure why you're comparing him to the top tier. I certainly wasn't. I think his value falls in that next tier, around $6m/year.

Doing a top ten, fifteen, or 25 for veteran RBs is missing the point, because it's rare that RBs get meaningful second contracts -- they get injured, or don't produce at a high enough clip to warrant a new deal. If you have a guy that does warrant a new deal, don't slot him based on top ten, etc.; put him in the tier he belongs. 

Saying he's fungible and you have a limit is fine. I just don't think basing that limit on a top whatever ranking is the way to go. And it seems obvious what his market is, so coming in $2-3m lower seems like a waste of time.

You mentioned the top tier guys and range. Just saying he's not close to those guys, and IMO, only those top tier guys warrant meaningful second contracts. The rest are treated as fungible and get moderate extensions. Just like we prepared ourselves to move on from Mack. Mack was top a top 10ish guy in terms of production, and wasn't hurt at the time we drafted a RB high enough we have no doubt of the team's intensions. Pretty decent chance we were ready to let him walk.

I don't think doing a top 15/25/35 is missing the point at all. It illustrates the landscape of how RBs are paid, perform, where drafted, and most importantly, how they are treated in terms of value. I started digging on RBs after I replied to your post yesterday. It only strengthened my opinion on RBs in general, and on Hines' value. Hines is 38th overall in yards from scrimmage (RBs). He's 70ish in rushing yards, and 6th in receiving. Those numbers are of course a product of game plan and opportunity of course. One also has to question the deeper numbers, like AVG yards per rush, and ask how much of that was impacted by our highly rated OL. 

In short, there's no doubt he's a good quality weapon. And there's no doubt he brings great options in the passing games. At the same time, JT has proven very capable in the passing game. We also know we've been without true slot guy with Campbell hurt so it's likely he got more targets than planned. So with JT coming on, Campbell perhaps staying healthy, and also a potential rise from a HB/bully-slot/TE combo like Granson... All of that will, or could impact the need, or simply the value of Hines. And like you said, a lot of snaps/targets/rushes can be absorbed elsewhere.

Like I said, I dug on a lot of the ranks/pay/etc... Perhaps I'll post later this week. Overall, I think there will always be quality RBs/APBs bouncing around for moderate wages (under 5M a year). 4M would put him the top 20 range in pay, and I think is more than fair. Over a quarter of the RBs in the top 40 YfS were 4th round or later (including at least 7 UDFAs). If 4M isn't enough, I'm happy to take a shot in the draft. The APB types typically are available later. 

• 4 weeks later...

Archived