Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Soccer - US Men's and Women's National Teams

Didn't see a thread, or much talk on football (soccer) in general. 

Watching the USMNT play in the CONCACAF Nations League Qfinals vs Honduras. Pretty good so far. US dominating possession, but Honduras just missed. Really not a miss, just a terrific play by the US to keep it out of the net. A little chippy early.

Very excited about the future of the USMNT with the three young guys in front.

21 hours ago, EastStreet said:

What a game. Refs playing a big part in the game (the two P-kicks), but at least both sides got their chance in extra time.

Still not over, but nice to have the lead with time running out.

#USMNT

I missed the games, only kept up on twitter. I really hope we can get the men's team to be closer to the level of the national (women's) team. after missing last WC it is embarrassing still

Also finally got to see my first professional game, as I went to MLS game for Sounders and Austin FC. Still annoyed that you can get offsides with in the box like soo little space

25 minutes ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

I missed the games, only kept up on twitter. I really hope we can get the men's team to be closer to the level of the national (women's) team. after missing last WC it is embarrassing still

Also finally got to see my first professional game, as I went to MLS game for Sounders and Austin FC. Still annoyed that you can get offsides with in the box like soo little space

It'll take a lot to get the USMNT to the level of the USWNT. But some of the youth coming up keeps me optimistic. Our front 3 is great start, and there are others. It'll take time though. I think we'll qualify for 2020WC come this September, and look respectable in group stage next year, but just can't see us competing with the big boys just yet.  A lot can happen in a year though, so who knows. One thing that's good though IMO, is that a lot of the traditional powerhouses are a bit down now.

I'm looking forward to the Euro's starting later this week. I'm not into the US MLS though. My favorite is national teams, but I also keep an eye on Bund, SA, a little PL.

56 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

It'll take a lot to get the USMNT to the level of the USWNT. But some of the youth coming up keeps me optimistic. Our front 3 is great start, and there are others. It'll take time though. I think we'll qualify for 2020WC come this September, and look respectable in group stage next year, but just can't see us competing with the big boys just yet.  A lot can happen in a year though, so who knows. One thing that's good though IMO, is that a lot of the traditional powerhouses are a bit down now.

I'm looking forward to the Euro's starting later this week. I'm not into the US MLS though. My favorite is national teams, but I also keep an eye on Bund, SA, a little PL.

Honestly, it is unlikely the men will ever match the women unless the women just crash. There been some movement in club level in the US which could help in future. I do remember watching steffen years ago as U-20 GK, liked him. I still just think of the days with Landon, Dempsey, and Howard leading the team. 

I have always had a harder time with the leds, with Football, Baseball, basketball I don't always have the extra room anymore. Normally I will catch a game here and there for different leagues just when they are on, but don't have any specific. 

Also, could not remember when WC Qualifying began. That could be fun to go to

On 6/7/2021 at 11:08 PM, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

Honestly, it is unlikely the men will ever match the women unless the women just crash. There been some movement in club level in the US which could help in future. I do remember watching steffen years ago as U-20 GK, liked him. I still just think of the days with Landon, Dempsey, and Howard leading the team.

The women are consistently top 3, and agreed, not sure the USNMT will ever be like that (at least in the next decade). I do think as soccer continues to grow in popularity in the US, the NTs (both) will continue to improve. It's just a matter of time IMO, but it will be a slow climb. We simply have the population and funding to keep growing the sport.

That said, the USMNT can get into a top 10ish situation in the next 5 years IMO. How fast I'm not sure. Guys like Pulisic, and the other young guns up front will be very good. Perhaps better than some of the guys you mention. And Steffen is very good, and evidently Horvath is pretty great too given his clutch play vs MX. All the US needs IMO is some mids and backs to develop and step up. We have the front and goal keepers arguably already to be top 10ish. That of course is a bit of projection, but I don't think it's overly optimistic.

I have always had a harder time with the leds, with Football, Baseball, basketball I don't always have the extra room anymore. Normally I will catch a game here and there for different leagues just when they are on, but don't have any specific. 

I don't really care about baseball anymore, but follow the Cubs a tiny bit. My interests in the NBA are at an all time low. I follow the Pacers a bit, but not near as close as I used to. The front office is cheap, and they seem to be content to be a team that is borderline playoff contender.... They keep firing coaches, but that's not their issue.

But to your point, I only follow the NFL, CFB, and CBB closely, so soccer doesn't require a lot of room for me (given the timing). Like I said, I follow mostly the national team stuff closely, and tournaments like the WC, Euro Cup, Gold Cup, Olympics, etc.. I will pay attention to nations leagues, and other finals in the different leagues, but again, the international play of the national teams is of most interest.  I have a lot of friends from outside the US who are big time soccer fans, so it's also fun to be able to talk smack with them. 

Also, could not remember when WC Qualifying began. That could be fun to go to

US has a bye to the 3rd round, so quals for them don't start till September. It's kinda of silly IMO. They should have auto qualifiers (like the top 2 of the tourney that just happened), and then let the rest battle it out. But there's really no reason the US, MX, and CR shouldn't all be in the next WC. They change the qualification process it seems every 4 years lol. And I hate how they select the Olympic teams.

37 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

The women are consistently top 3, and agreed, not sure the USNMT will ever be like that (at least in the next decade). I do think as soccer continues to grow in popularity in the US, the NTs (both) will continue to improve. It's just a matter of time IMO, but it will be a slow climb. We simply have the population and funding to keep growing the sport.

That said, the USMNT can get into a top 10ish situation in the next 5 years IMO. How fast I'm not sure. Guys like Pulisic, and the other young guns up front will be very good. Perhaps better than some of the guys you mention. And Steffen is very good, and evidently Horvath is pretty great too given his clutch play vs MX. All the US needs IMO is some mids and backs to develop and step up. We have the front and goal keepers arguably already to be top 10ish. That of course is a bit of projection, but I don't think it's overly optimistic.

I don't really care about baseball anymore, but follow the Cubs a tiny bit. My interests in the NBA are at an all time low. I follow the Pacers a bit, but not near as close as I used to. The front office is cheap, and they seem to be content to be a team that is borderline playoff contender.... They keep firing coaches, but that's not their issue.

But to your point, I only follow the NFL, CFB, and CBB closely, so soccer doesn't require a lot of room for me (given the timing). Like I said, I follow mostly the national team stuff closely, and tournaments like the WC, Euro Cup, Gold Cup, Olympics, etc.. I will pay attention to nations leagues, and other finals in the different leagues, but again, the international play of the national teams is of most interest.  I have a lot of friends from outside the US who are big time soccer fans, so it's also fun to be able to talk smack with them. 

US has a bye to the 3rd round, so quals for them don't start till September. It's kinda of silly IMO. They should have auto qualifiers (like the top 2 of the tourney that just happened), and then let the rest battle it out. But there's really no reason the US, MX, and CR shouldn't all be in the next WC. They change the qualification process it seems every 4 years lol. And I hate how they select the Olympic teams.

It will be a big thing to ever get the mens in top 5. And hopefully they will and you do with the women being so great have more US based players for younger kids to look up to. I think who ever is coaching the team will be a big piece of the puzzle.

Football and Baseball will stay my top two when it comes to watching. Basketball I will watch the Pacers and CBB more so. CFB I will if not much is on or my old school is on. And the WC and Olympics are normally the biggest I pick up on. So normally every couple years.

I ended up looking to see and saw that, while silly it is at least nice to avoid the extra play in chance. Hopefully, I mean 2026 who gets the host city bid since it is a all North America type one. And I honestly have no clue qualifying for olympics how that is set up

1 hour ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

It will be a big thing to ever get the mens in top 5. And hopefully they will and you do with the women being so great have more US based players for younger kids to look up to. I think who ever is coaching the team will be a big piece of the puzzle.

It's just a matter of time. Could take 10 years, could take 20 or 50. The shear population of the US, our ability to fund, and our love for sports will catch up sooner than later. We've never prioritized soccer near to the level of other countries, but that's changing. We're starting to see some of the fruits of the labor so to speak. The women have proven the US can play at that level. It's all about "interest" in the sport IMO. And it'll just take time.

Football and Baseball will stay my top two when it comes to watching. Basketball I will watch the Pacers and CBB more so. CFB I will if not much is on or my old school is on. And the WC and Olympics are normally the biggest I pick up on. So normally every couple years.

I'd say my rank is 

1A. ND football

1B. Colts football

2. IU BB

3. CFB in general, especially all of ND's traditional rivals. I will always watch USC, Stanford, Michigan, etc.. I also watch a ton of SEC and ACC. Just a CFB junkie. 

4. USM and W NTs. World Cup and INTL soccer play. I love the national teams for Italy, Germany, and Argentina too.

5. Pacers

6. Cubs

I ended up looking to see and saw that, while silly it is at least nice to avoid the extra play in chance. Hopefully, I mean 2026 who gets the host city bid since it is a all North America type one. And I honestly have no clue qualifying for olympics how that is set up

I think 2026 could be a year we really step into the mix from a men's perspective. And playing games in NA will help.

This year for the Olympics is weird, as the teams, IIRC, were those that qualified from 2 years ago. Covid impact... 

28 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

It's just a matter of time. Could take 10 years, could take 20 or 50. The shear population of the US, our ability to fund, and our love for sports will catch up sooner than later. We've never prioritized soccer near to the level of other countries, but that's changing. We're starting to see some of the fruits of the labor so to speak. The women have proven the US can play at that level. It's all about "interest" in the sport IMO. And it'll just take time.

I'd say my rank is 

1A. ND football

1B. Colts football

2. IU BB

3. CFB in general, especially all of ND's traditional rivals. I will always watch USC, Stanford, Michigan, etc.. I also watch a ton of SEC and ACC. Just a CFB junkie. 

4. USM and W NTs. World Cup and INTL soccer play. I love the national teams for Italy, Germany, and Argentina too.

5. Pacers

6. Cubs

I think 2026 could be a year we really step into the mix from a men's perspective. And playing games in NA will help.

This year for the Olympics is weird, as the teams, IIRC, were those that qualified from 2 years ago. Covid impact... 

For 2026, I want to go to one of the matches. No clue where ill be living but think it be real fun to see one of them live.

14 minutes ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

For 2026, I want to go to one of the matches. No clue where ill be living but think it be real fun to see one of them live.

I was supposed to go in 14, but the guy I was going with backed out at the last moment. I wanted to go in 18, but my buddy in Europe had a pregnant wife that was due around the time lol.... We had plans to go to 22 before all the covid stuff. I've had some bad luck lol. Will be a lot easier in 26.

18 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I was supposed to go in 14, but the guy I was going with backed out at the last moment. I wanted to go in 18, but my buddy in Europe had a pregnant wife that was due around the time lol.... We had plans to go to 22 before all the covid stuff. I've had some bad luck lol. Will be a lot easier in 26.

Haha so the real question is, what I'm 2026 will keep you from being able to go to it? And in reality not going to Qatar probably not the worst thing. Its still gonna be hot as all

On 6/10/2021 at 5:49 PM, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

Haha so the real question is, what I'm 2026 will keep you from being able to go to it? And in reality not going to Qatar probably not the worst thing. Its still gonna be hot as all

I would have loved to go to Qatar. I have a few friends there, and nearby. I don't mind the heat, and they have plenty of AC lol. 

2026 should be fun. There are several teams I cheer for, so hoping to get to several games.

4 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I would have loved to go to Qatar. I have a few friends there, and nearby. I don't mind the heat, and they have plenty of AC lol. 

2026 should be fun. There are several teams I cheer for, so hoping to get to several games.

Ah haha that would help.

I am just looking forward seeing what ones I can go too. Probably try a couple in similar spot

20 hours ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

Ah haha that would help.

I am just looking forward seeing what ones I can go too. Probably try a couple in similar spot

During the games in Brazil, we had a 10 day, 7 game route mapped out. Still sad we had to cancel.

• 1 month later...
On 7/20/2021 at 11:01 PM, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

@EastStreet are you ready for the first match at 4:30 AM EST? I will see what happens when I finally wake uphaha

I actually got up for it. 0-3.... yuck lol...

I'm still happy though with the men winning their group. I'm ready for Gold Cup first round.

I'm I'm happy about Italy and Argentina winning the Euro and Copa. 

Hoping the UWWNT got a wake up and gets their stuff together. They need to focus less on politics and more on soccer I think.

And hope the Men's team is ready to go deep. I was at the game in 2015 when Jamaica upset them, and don't want a repeat. Qatar has been an interesting add to the GC.

10 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I actually got up for it. 0-3.... yuck lol...

I'm still happy though with the men winning their group. I'm ready for Gold Cup first round.

I'm I'm happy about Italy and Argentina winning the Euro and Copa. 

Hoping the UWWNT got a wake up and gets their stuff together. They need to focus less on politics and more on soccer I think.

And hope the Men's team is ready to go deep. I was at the game in 2015 when Jamaica upset them, and don't want a repeat. Qatar has been an interesting add to the GC.

I am happy i did not wake up

And it should be interesting for GC

I saw some of the Italy scene from my friend in Milan, they had a nice fire going haha. Out till 4am

And they really do need to wake up, hopefully that is the reset and can get back to business

I am hoping they are, it will be a big thing to have them perform well and get going to WC. And I was surprised to see Qatar it is just a random add id say

I'm not sure how much I will watch.    We'll see how it goes.

I think I'm rooting against the women.   That may change depending on the opponent.   The disrespect of the flag, especially at the Olympics. bugs me.

11 hours ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

I am happy i did not wake up

And it should be interesting for GC

I saw some of the Italy scene from my friend in Milan, they had a nice fire going haha. Out till 4am

I have several Euro buds (ones still there, and ones that moved here). And I have family from over there too. They take their football seriously lol... Making a WC or Euro is on my bucket list. 

My fav teams are Italy and Germany, but I have a fondness (due to friends and other reasons) for Ireland, Wales, Argentina, Brazil, Iceland, Slovakia, and several others. US will always be my #1, but I'm crazy about about a few others too. Loved watching the Euros and Copa, and then going immediately into Gold and the Olympics.

And they really do need to wake up, hopefully that is the reset and can get back to business

They lost to Sweden before. Sometimes you need a good punch in the nose lol.

I am hoping they are, it will be a big thing to have them perform well and get going to WC. And I was surprised to see Qatar it is just a random add id say

Some folks acted like the USM should destroy Canada, but Canada played very well all group stage. I figured it would be close. But they need to kick it up a notch. I really didn't care if we got Costa Rica or Jamaica, as both are pretty good. Gonna be fun.

Qatar is the guest team this time. Gold Cup does that, and Qatar got the nod this year as they are the host for the WC. They're pretty solid, but I didn't think they'd win their group. I did expect them to move through though. 

1 hour ago, Myles said:

I'm not sure how much I will watch.    We'll see how it goes.

I think I'm rooting against the women.   That may change depending on the opponent.   The disrespect of the flag, especially at the Olympics. bugs me.

Bugs me too. If you want to do that stuff in the pros, fine. In the Olympics though, you're representing your country. And if you don't like your country, you shouldn't be playing IMO... 

I love Foreman's view on the topic. He gets it. People are letting politics take over every inch of their lives.

But I'll never cheer against the US. At worst, I just wouldn't watch.

27 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I have several Euro buds (ones still there, and ones that moved here). And I have family from over there too. They take their football seriously lol... Making a WC or Euro is on my bucket list. 

My fav teams are Italy and Germany, but I have a fondness (due to friends and other reasons) for Ireland, Wales, Argentina, Brazil, Iceland, Slovakia, and several others. US will always be my #1, but I'm crazy about about a few others too. Loved watching the Euros and Copa, and then going immediately into Gold and the Olympics.

They lost to Sweden before. Sometimes you need a good punch in the nose lol.

Some folks acted like the USM should destroy Canada, but Canada played very well all group stage. I figured it would be close. But they need to kick it up a notch. I really didn't care if we got Costa Rica or Jamaica, as both are pretty good. Gonna be fun.

Qatar is the guest team this time. Gold Cup does that, and Qatar got the nod this year as they are the host for the WC. They're pretty solid, but I didn't think they'd win their group. I did expect them to move through though. 

I had so ended up only catching the semi-final, as it was the only one I had time for. But very much had fun watching my italian friend get to see his Country win again.  I will most likely do WC

US is my only one, but I do enjoy watching the others from time to time especially in knockout stages, that is always the best time to see them as it is so intense.

And very true, need that wake up call, that just because you are more talented, still vulnerable. 

Honestly, with the Men, until they show a consistent thing for years, I will never think they should blow out any team, just knowing our country's history. I thought of going to games in KC

Oh okay, i didnt know there was a guess team thing. That is interesting thing to see. I have no clue about them as a team, I really dont expect much of them though, just since they aren't a known country for soccer, nor the ability and high price ability like US can do

12 minutes ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

I had so ended up only catching the semi-final, as it was the only one I had time for. But very much had fun watching my italian friend get to see his Country win again.  I will most likely do WC

US is my only one, but I do enjoy watching the others from time to time especially in knockout stages, that is always the best time to see them as it is so intense.

And very true, need that wake up call, that just because you are more talented, still vulnerable. 

Honestly, with the Men, until they show a consistent thing for years, I will never think they should blow out any team, just knowing our country's history. I thought of going to games in KC

Oh okay, i didnt know there was a guess team thing. That is interesting thing to see. I have no clue about them as a team, I really dont expect much of them though, just since they aren't a known country for soccer, nor the ability and high price ability like US can do

Men's team is starting to feel different to me. They have several young guys coming up with serious skill. It will be a few years, but I think they're getting closer and closer.

GC has done guest teams since the 90s. Brazil IIRC has been the most frequent guest and was runner up a time or two, or at least top 4.  Peru, S Africa, S Korea have also played. I think Columbia might have played a few times. This is Qatar's first. They're #4 ranked in the AFC (Asia and Middle East). Not great, but world ranked similar to several good/decent CONCACAF teams. Only US and Mex are top 20. 

48 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Men's team is starting to feel different to me. They have several young guys coming up with serious skill. It will be a few years, but I think they're getting closer and closer.

GC has done guest teams since the 90s. Brazil IIRC has been the most frequent guest and was runner up a time or two, or at least top 4.  Peru, S Africa, S Korea have also played. I think Columbia might have played a few times. This is Qatar's first. They're #4 ranked in the AFC (Asia and Middle East). Not great, but world ranked similar to several good/decent CONCACAF teams. Only US and Mex are top 20. 

It gotta be 4-8 years of consistent before I can feel like they are good. But it is good to see that they are getting better.

I see I see, I never knew that they did that. That is certainly interesting thing to see. It will be curious to see how this all starts, I gotta figure out where USMNT is playing for Gold Cup

It gotta be 4-8 years of consistent before I can feel like they are good. But it is good to see that they are getting better.

Some of the young guys are clearly a level above what we are used to. The fact they are playing across the pond is a good indicator of our US talent pole improving. I'm snake bit too, but I think it's very fair to be optimistic.

I see I see, I never knew that they did that. That is certainly interesting thing to see. It will be curious to see how this all starts, I gotta figure out where USMNT is playing for Gold Cup

Yup. I think most of the time is a team from South America (Brazil, Columbia) that kind of blends in with the Central American teams (so not as easy to notice). SKorea and SAfrica stuck out like Qatar does lol... 

The US plays in Dallas this weekend. IIRC it goes Dallas/GlendaleAZ, then Houston/Austin, then Vegas for the knockout stage.

2 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Some of the young guys are clearly a level above what we are used to. The fact they are playing across the pond is a good indicator of our US talent pole improving. I'm snake bit too, but I think it's very fair to be optimistic.

Yup. I think most of the time is a team from South America (Brazil, Columbia) that kind of blends in with the Central American teams (so not as easy to notice). SKorea and SAfrica stuck out like Qatar does lol... 

The US plays in Dallas this weekend. IIRC it goes Dallas/GlendaleAZ, then Houston/Austin, then Vegas for the knockout stage.

True that with the guys going international again. That is certainly something that wasn't common. I still gotta wait though, see us on International outside of CONACAF before knowing if we really are there. 

And that would make sense, that is just not something I ever recognized in the game. And well, boo none in the spots I am going. Vegas would be the only one I would think of going to, but I am guessing it wont fall in line with my time to

14 hours ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

True that with the guys going international again. That is certainly something that wasn't common. I still gotta wait though, see us on International outside of CONACAF before knowing if we really are there. 

And that would make sense, that is just not something I ever recognized in the game. And well, boo none in the spots I am going. Vegas would be the only one I would think of going to, but I am guessing it wont fall in line with my time to

Right now I just want to win the GC. Beating MX, who is top 20 is the first step. Getting qualified for the WC the next. 

I also think the talent in Europe has leveled off a bit as far a National Teams go, which might be good for the US. Germany, England, France, Spain, and others all look good, but not a few levels above like they used to. Not that I think the US could go in an compete right now with them, but I don't see any super teams like we've seen in WC's past. I love Italy so glad they won the Euros. My dream final 4 in the WC would be the US, Italy, Germany, and Argentina. I'd put Ireland or Wales in there lol, but there's just no way lol. I really like Argentina because of their Italian connection and I love Messi. Glad he finally got a majors win with the Copa.

40 minutes ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

Well USA off to semi-Finals, 1-0 win of Jamaica Goal in the 83rd minute.

Yup, took long enough lol. I was feeling like it was 2015....

Playing Qatar will be interesting. I think CA vs MX will be closer than most think too. CA is down a few though.

2 hours ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

Very much so, plus any win over Mexico is always a good for us one. I will continue to think as Mexico as that best CONCACAF team

MX's coach has to be on the hot seat now if he wasn't already.

I like the USM's team right now. I think they will only get better with some of the young talent. Not saying I'd put them top 10 in FIFA or anything, but they're 20ish now, and I think they'll continue to inch up. 

The USW's team on the other hand, seem to fading with current roster. 

Prior to both tournaments, I would have said the USM would lose to MX, and the USW would easily win the Olympics. The women need to get their heads on straight and get back to soccer.

2 hours ago, Myles said:

The women are done in soccer.    Well, done going for the gold.  

Not sure if they're done, but they need to get back to soccer. I think success/fame/politics went to their heads, and they started believing they were invulnerable.

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

Not sure if they're done, but they need to get back to soccer. I think success/fame/politics went to their heads, and they started believing they were invulnerable.

Did you get chance to see the game, I was of course asleep, but heard there was a questionable penalty called before the goal, that led to it, not seen any replays of it 

9 minutes ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

Did you get chance to see the game, I was of course asleep, but heard there was a questionable penalty called before the goal, that led to it, not seen any replays of it 

I actually got up and watched it. Been on a coffee binge lol. 

I think the penalty was fair, but it was close. I think the biggest problem for us though was that our starting GK went out injured.

Overall, and purely my opinion, is we should have beaten CA by a few goals. The O was anemic and simply not near the level we've seen from them in the past. Just seemed like we lacked focus, killer instinct, and/or conditioning. It was a better than vs Sweden (D wise), but still a poor performance. 

Archived