Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Castonzo's Replacement

Many people on here are calling forca LT to be drafted as Castonzo is in his contract year and is pushing the 30+ threshold.

A large majority of folks forget about a low risk high reward free agent that Ballard signed in 2018 who spent the season on the Practice Squad in one Antonio Garcia from Troy by way of the Patriots.

He was drafted in the 3rd Round in 2017 as Nate Solders replacement. He developed some blood c.lot (it auto-corrects to Colts without the period) issues and lost roughly 70 lbs.

He has since regained strength and weight and is now being tutored by one of the best line coaches ever.

Here is the draft clip from that year, listen to the parallels in what Mayock has to say. Sounds exactly like a Colts player and exactly like the Colts current roster situation!

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-draft/0ap3000000804395/Patriots-select-Antonio-Garcia-No-85-in-the-2017-NFL-Draft

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Irish YJ said:

Roemer late this year, and/or high pick next year.

If we don't plan to resign him, why not get an extra rookie contract year out of high OT next year.

It's possible, however, IF a high upside LT is not drafted then that bodes well for Garcia and/or an extension for Castonzo. 

The coaching staff, as well as the front office know what they have in the building already.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

It's possible, however, IF a high upside LT is not drafted then that bodes well for Garcia and/or an extension for Castonzo. 

The coaching staff, as well as the front office know what they have in the building already.

I'd probably bank more on Clark or Haeg than Garcia based on snap counts. Garcia is a total unknown. 

I'm fine with extending Castonzo if he can stay healthy this year.

A lot can happen. Roemer late in the draft could end up being a tier one guy if he keeps his head straight. There's going to be some good FA Ts next year too.

I think a LT is a possibility if the right one falls at 26 or maybe even at one of the 2nd round picks but I think if it happens it will be more about value and not as much as need. 

I don't think Garcia will have any impact on the draft. He might contribute down the road but I don't think he prevents the Colts from taking a LT early.