Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Did You Hear Irsay Say This?

DILLIGAFER

That's not how the salary cap works... His base salary is 8.4, but his salary cap # would be higher and it would be even harder to trade him.

Ahh i understand, the salary is 8.4 but the cap hit would be 18 mil and only go up as he reaches the end of his contract.

Ahh i understand, the salary is 8.4 but the cap hit would be 18 mil and only go up as he reaches the end of his contract.

Yes, it goes from 16(2011),up one million each year to 20 in the final year. But if the 28 million is paid and whatever point he is traded/released/retired, then the unamortized salary cap dollars accelerate into that year.

Yes, it goes from 16(2011),up one million each year to 20 in the final year. But if the 28 million is paid and whatever point he is traded/released/retired, then the unamortized salary cap dollars accelerate into that year.

Thats just crazy, so i guess the time "if it came to that" would be to cut him this season

There really isn't much in that statement.

People are taking the "rebuilding" word a little too far.

Our GM (family) is gone, the defensive coordinator and special teams coaches are gone, and a lot of players have contracts due in a few months time. That's the definition of rebuilding, but it doesn't mean our QB will change. The Patriots have reloaded twice, and rebuilt with Brady, despite a terrible injury to his plant leg. We simply held on to a lot of the "same old, same old" for far too long.

While we are rebuilding, that doesn't mean #18 won't be taking snaps for us next year.

If there is any question on the health the best thing to do is not pick up the option.

This is correct because we would save $6.6M in cap space if we let Manning walk before the option is due. This could be valuable cap space needed to get a quality free agent or two or multiple UDFA's.

The purpose of my post was to contribute the saved cap space number and the impact in players so that others could read and take that into consideration. I must have mistaken this for the Colts Forum. I didn't realize this was the firejimcaldwell blog.

Heck, man, they're ALL firejimcaldwell blogs, forums, threads, ideas, answers, thoughts, motions, movements.

So now you DO know.

No.. I am not joking. Amazing how some people don't see the value to trading in something that is spent and getting something in return.

No one will take on Manning's contract and Manning will not restructure it so he can be traded.