Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

IF Peyton retires...

bap1331

Will they necessarily take a cap hit if he retires?  Couldn't the Broncos need to trade him to the Colts, and THEN he could retire?

If he retires then there is no cap hit. If he is traded then retires the Colts have no cap hit, I believe. This is only if he retires veggie June 1st.

However the Colts would have to actually trade something just to get Peyton then let him retire. For one I don't see this happening. The Colts would not give up something for essentially nothing. Also like I said earlier, I don't see Peyton as one to make his retirement a circus.

If he retires then there is no cap hit. If he is traded then retires the Colts have no cap hit, I believe. This is only if he retires veggie June 1st.

However the Colts would have to actually trade something just to get Peyton then let him retire. For one I don't see this happening. The Colts would not give up something for essentially nothing. Also like I said earlier, I don't see Peyton as one to make his retirement a circus.

FX Is it in his contract that he can't be traded  :???: :dunno:  I would think that if Elway didn't want Peyton back he would do like Irsay did and release him. If I was a betting person I would say his contract has a trade clause in it. JMO for what it's worth. I would think all Elite QB's would have such clause again no links just my opinion. ;)

FX Is it in his contract that he can't be traded  :???: :dunno:  I would think that if Elway didn't want Peyton back he would do like Irsay did and release him. If I was a betting person I would say his contract has a trade clause in it. JMO for what it's worth. I would think all Elite QB's would have such clause again no links just my opinion. ;)

There is no clause. Elway can trade him if he wanted.

And what Superman posted is correct. Not what I did.

If Manning retires there is  $5M cap hit. If he is released, before MArch 10, there is a $5M cap hit. If he is traded the Broncos get a $5M cap hit, and his new team inherits the base salary of his contract, $19M. However, if Manning is on the roster by seasons end, March 10, his 2014 contract becomes fully guaranteed. So if he is released after March 10, there is a dead cap hit of $24M. Which is split into two parts. Dead cap of $21.5M in 2015 and $2.5M in 2016.

If Manning retires there is  $5M cap hit. If he is released, before MArch 10, there is a $5M cap hit. If he is traded the Broncos get a $5M cap hit, and his new team inherits the base salary of his contract, $19M. However, if Manning is on the roster by seasons end, March 10, his 2014 contract becomes fully guaranteed. So if he is released after March 10, there is a dead cap hit of $24M. Which is split into two parts. Dead cap of $21.5M in 2015 and $2.5M in 2016.

Well maybe there is a link that will substantiate this.  ;)   ( the trading )

Thanks for that explanation.

Sure looks like a decision needs to be made pronto.  It will be March 10 before you know it, and no way any team could take a $21.5M cap hit without knowing that Manning would return and that they wanted him.  I see Elway made a statement that he wanted Manning for 2015.