Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

pass rush

OLD FAN MAN

Ask me again in 2 years. 

He was a mistake. I love how the only way people can defend him is by saying how much time he's been here, because they certainly can't post a damn thing from him that shows anything but a flop in motion. 

Well, I can't speak for everyone but in his rookie season he should a great burst off the ball, especially when in a three point stance, he has excellent balance and showed good form and body positioning to gain leverage on the blocker and he appeared to have excellent field awareness.  His two biggest weaknesses last year seemed to be 1, weakness, he just didn't have the upper body strength to deal with NFL lineman and for lack of a better word, feel or maybe recognition.  What I mean by that is often times he would get the blocker in an unbalanced position but was to slow to react to take advantage of it and the blocker would get back in position before Werner could do a move to take advantage of it.  Strength is teachable and will be gained by going through the offseason programs (whihc it sounds like he did this year).  The other is learnable through reps against live opponents.

That is the one thing that all the great pass rushers have... that ability to react with their move as soon as the blocker starts losing his technique not waiting until the blocker is starting to recover.  We won't know if Werner has that for another year or two.