Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Question of the Day - 06/27 "RE: REad & REact"

sb41champs

:blueshoe:   Back from a "day trip" to Louisville to enjoy a Colts "Fan Fest" with Matt Overton - Adam Vinatieri - and - Hunter Smith !!

:blueshoe:   I had the opportunity recently to watch a repeat airing of the May "The David Letterman Show" with former Colts QB Peyton Manning as the main guest.  It was a nice long segment with Peyton and brought up some information about Manning's injury that led to his departure from the Colts.

Manning indicated that the main injury concern was NOT his neck - the vertebrae fusion took care of that issue.

The "real" issue was a pinched nerve between his neck & throwing shoulder.  Peyton said that the neck injury had pinched that nerve to the point that he was unsure if he would ever be able to play football again.

The nerve injury was so severe that doctors were unsure if it would regenerate.  Peyton had difficulty gripping the ball for a significant period of time.  He also lost his ability to sense the spacial proximity between his body and arm during his throwing motion.  He was so concerned about this issue that he practiced passes with his father - Archie Manning - and wife Ashley.  They were both equally concerned about his ability to return to the playing field.

Peyton also shared that the nerve still has not completely regenerated.  However - with his years of NFL experience he has been able to come up with little tricks to compensate while this injury slowly improves.

Honestly - I was completely stunned by the intimate details of Peyton's injury.  I have to admit that knowing the truth about the potentially career-ending nature of this injury I changed my mind about the events that led up to Manning's release from the Colts.

Peyton was being a stand-up guy when he urged Jim Irsay to release him and draft Andrew Luck with the #1 pick in the draft.

Irsay made the ONLY decision that appropriate with "ALL THE FACTS" at that point in time.

:blueshoe:   Having assimilated this information - has your opinion about the events that led up to Peyton Manning's departure from the Colts changed ??

PS.  If you get to watch another re-airing of this particular episode of "The David Letterman Show" - I highly advise you to watch it.

I think Jim Irsay has a heart like no other owner, IMO.  I'm sure that was probably the hardest decision that man had to make in his business life, as well as his personal life.  I think they all knew what the best situation was for the Colts and Manning.  Sometimes though, the right decisions aren't the easiest to make.  Peyton loves Indy, Peyton loves the Colts.  The Colts love Peyton and the state of Indiana and all Colts fans worldwide love Peyton.  Its like breaking up with your first love.  It still hurts but you will always have a special place in your heart for them.