Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I cannot explain the Colts

oldunclemark

It's a young team, a new coaching staff, an inexperienced quarterback. That about sums it up. What kind of sets the Colts apart is that they can still come back and win these games, and that they can make big plays late in close games. Also, the fact that they don't commit a lot of penalties. Usually, young, talented teams struggle finishing games. The Colts don't, and that's a good thing. The problem right now is we're having trouble starting games.

I cannot find the posts that i was reading yesterday saying Fire Coach pagano and Pep.  I do believe the offense is conservative.  And i agree sometimes overly conservative.  7-3 is not a lost season.  Its still up to the players to play.  And put the right people in the game.  Tough with injuries but im sure they will get it all figured out.  Just nonsense that all this starts over 1 really bad game. 

I didn't see the posts you are referring to, but nothing would really surprise me. If there is one thing you can count on from sports fans it is overreaction, both positive and negative.

PC, I actually agree with most of your post. I think the predictable plays are what I am predominately referring to when I say conservative. Because generally speaking the predictable plays are coming on 1st down and involve a jumbo set that gets 1-2 yards. I do agree that injuries limit what an offense can do and believe I acknowledged that point. But this offense was predictable even before the injuries started piling up.

I feel that Pep's playcalling has improved and like I said, I actually like the system. I just wish the Colts were a more aggressive team-- willing to take a chance and go for it on a makeable 4th down where it is reasonable to do so instead of punting or taking the field goal. That comes back to Pagano though, and where I feel an aggressive OC/playcaller would influence him to go for it more often than not. Pep seems conservative as well and I would guess probably agrees with the decision to play "safe" more often than not.

I can't disagree with you on the 4th and 1 stuff.  Sometimes I wonder why Pagano doesn't go for it, other times I agree with the call.  So I mean, is he more conservative than agressive?  Yeah, probably.

You make great points about the o-line, Brown, and Fleener being difference makers but let's be honest, Luck was huge in this game. His passes were extremely accurate and did everything he could to win the game. Not discounting what credit you gave to other team members, Luck was superhuman last night.

luck played a great game last night I am not saying he didn't. I am just saying the reason he played so well was that he got help. He didn't just do it by himself several other players played well too. Also he wasn't superhuman he was Andrew Luck if you slow down the pass rush and other guys don't drop the ball and you have a ground game so the other team can't just sit on pass every play.