Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ed Reed and the Texans

dw49

haha I was more than happy to deal with your issue with me myself, but you blocked me. Don't act so tough. Oh wait. That's your whole point to being online.

Stop crying little friend. I forgive you for blocking me after trying to fly me to Texas to fisticuffs. Don't be so hung up :).

If I came to Texas you would have to provide me room and board, and at least half of my airfare. I do require first class as well. Keep that in mind when you book my flight.

First class? High maintenance! You're going to cost him a fortune just to meet up haha

What has you believe Flacco will take less money in three years when he will be 31 and in his prime? His agent gloated for weeks after his deal was signed about how he got the better of Ravens mgmt and of course Flacco said, I bet on myself and won.

Cutler may not be resigned by the Bears at all. Smart move if they cut bait now. He will not command anywhere close to 20 mil.

I'm just saying I don't think Ozzie will pay 28 million. Joe also knows to win, he'll have to restructure like Brady. Joe will get all of his money, but as it gets into years four and five, things will be extended to a more cap friendly number per year. When you win a Super Bowl, everybody wins, the player, agent, and the Ravens. Flacco is the best quarterback the Ravens have ever had, so why would you want to go back to the revolving door they had between 1996 and 2008 ? From 2008- present, they have been to the playoffs every year, two division titles, three AFC Championship games with a win, and one Super Bowl win. I'm not saying Joe did it all on his own, but he was a big part of the success. Honestly, what would you have done ? What quarterback option did you have picked out for the Ravens? Do you let a Super Bowl MVP walk out the door ? 

If we can get Joe a decent offensive line next year, jump start the running game, and get Pitta back, things will be much improved, and Flacco's stats will improve next year. The defense is already getting better as the year goes on, so if Ozzie can make the right moves in the off-season, things will get better. As it is, they are still in the playoff hunt despite an unprecedented rebuilding project. We'll see how it turns out.

I'm just saying I don't think Ozzie will pay 28 million. Joe also knows to win, he'll have to restructure like Brady. Joe will get all of his money, but as it gets into years four and five, things will be extended to a more cap friendly number per year. When you win a Super Bowl, everybody wins, the player, agent, and the Ravens. Flacco is the best quarterback the Ravens have ever had, so why would you want to go back to the revolving door they had between 1996 and 2008 ? From 2008- present, they have been to the playoffs every year, two division titles, three AFC Championship games with a win, and one Super Bowl win. I'm not saying Joe did it all on his own, but he was a big part of the success. Honestly, what would you have done ? What quarterback option did you have picked out for the Ravens? Do you let a Super Bowl MVP walk out the door ? 

If we can get Joe a decent offensive line next year, jump start the running game, and get Pitta back, things will be much improved, and Flacco's stats will improve next year. The defense is already getting better as the year goes on, so if Ozzie can make the right moves in the off-season, things will get better. As it is, they are still in the playoff hunt despite an unprecedented rebuilding project. We'll see how it turns out.

First, Brady didn't restructure, he signed a $24 million extension at age 35. There is no way Joe signs that type of deal at age 31 in his prime. In fact, no modern superstar QB player prior to Brady had ever signed such a deal. It was unprecedented and unlikely to be repeated again IMO.

In terms of Ozzie, of course he had to sign Joe. But going into last season Joe had been to the playoffs every year of his career, had two divisional titles and two AFC champ appearances and was asking $16 mil and Ozzie said no and made him play the season. Even then he did not believe Joe was the guy. And then Joe had another average regular season and caught fire in the playoffs and then had Ozzie over a barrel. Ozzie missed big time on Joe when he could have had him for $16mil instead of 20+. That has been my point. Ozzie is paid ot make those tough decisions and to get it right. He got it wrong on Joe because he is paying him like he is a top 3 QB and he is not anywhere close. Maybe as you say once they start rebuilding more around him he will have better stats but honestly after six seasons, I think he is what he is and that may end up costing the Ravens a chance at signing the players they need to be a champion again. Just losing Boldin this year was a killer.

First, Brady didn't restructure, he signed a $24 million extension at age 35. There is no way Joe signs that type of deal at age 31 in his prime. In fact, no modern superstar QB player prior to Brady had ever signed such a deal. It was unprecedented and unlikely to be repeated again IMO.

In terms of Ozzie, of course he had to sign Joe. But going into last season Joe had been to the playoffs every year of his career, had two divisional titles and two AFC champ appearances and was asking $16 mil and Ozzie said no and made him play the season. Even then he did not believe Joe was the guy. And then Joe had another average regular season and caught fire in the playoffs and then had Ozzie over a barrel. Ozzie missed big time on Joe when he could have had him for $16mil instead of 20+. That has been my point. Ozzie is paid ot make those tough decisions and to get it right. He got it wrong on Joe because he is paying him like he is a top 3 QB and he is not anywhere close. Maybe as you say once they start rebuilding more around him he will have better stats but honestly after six seasons, I think he is what he is and that may end up costing the Ravens a chance at signing the players they need to be a champion again. Just losing Boldin this year was a killer.

Most of the guys the Ravens released were not worth the money. Boldin and Pollard were the only ones who would have made an impact, but Pollard had been replaced by capable Elam, and the Ravens have developed Marlon Brown. As for Joe , you would have killed Ozzie for giving him 16 million before the season. Flacco did gamble and win, but he is a proven winner, and is worth what he is getting to the Ravens. Joe is an unpretentious guy who wants to win above all, and I have no doubt he will work with Ozzie to make it work. As you've seen with the Ravens, if it doesn't work , they cut. Ozzie will do the smart thing.

Most of the guys the Ravens released were not worth the money. Boldin and Pollard were the only ones who would have made an impact, but Pollard had been replaced by capable Elam, and the Ravens have developed Marlon Brown. As for Joe , you would have killed Ozzie for giving him 16 million before the season. Flacco did gamble and win, but he is a proven winner, and is worth what he is getting to the Ravens. Joe is an unpretentious guy who wants to win above all, and I have no doubt he will work with Ozzie to make it work. As you've seen with the Ravens, if it doesn't work , they cut. Ozzie will do the smart thing.

What does it matter what I would have thought or anyone else? Pretty sure Ozzie could care less as he should. Ravens won the Super Bowl last year so Ozzie would have looked like a genius for locking up Joe at the $16 mil/year long term. 

I agree about the Ravens doing the right thing down the road but that type of a contract for a QB who cannot carry the team is a lot to bear for any org.

Flacco's contract is very brutal in years four and five, which means something has to give. What that is, we won't know until that time. His contract is reasonable the next two years, and with a nice draft, and some free agents, especially offensive linemen, they can hopefully get back to 2011 and 2012 form. Flacco just needs more protection . If the O line gets better, the running game will come back. They have also developed some nice receivers. The young defense is improving every game, which is a good sign. 

You may well criticize Flacco, but his team is doing better than Ryan's and Schaubs, who many compare him to. Like I said, if they can pull out a road win in Chicago, they are 5-5, with home games against the Steelers, Vikings, and Jets. The Ravens are very tough at home, and 8-5 would not be out of the realm of possibilites. That would put them back in the race for the division, or possible 6th wildcard seed. The way Flacco plays in the post season versus regular season, would make this a dangerous team to avoid. 

Flacco's contract is very brutal in years four and five, which means something has to give. What that is, we won't know until that time. His contract is reasonable the next two years, and with a nice draft, and some free agents, especially offensive linemen, they can hopefully get back to 2011 and 2012 form. Flacco just needs more protection . If the O line gets better, the running game will come back. They have also developed some nice receivers. The young defense is improving every game, which is a good sign. 

You may well criticize Flacco, but his team is doing better than Ryan's and Schaubs, who many compare him to. Like I said, if they can pull out a road win in Chicago, they are 5-5, with home games against the Steelers, Vikings, and Jets. The Ravens are very tough at home, and 8-5 would not be out of the realm of possibilites. That would put them back in the race for the division, or possible 6th wildcard seed. The way Flacco plays in the post season versus regular season, would make this a dangerous team to avoid. 

All good points but I was never criticizing Flacco but Ozzie. Flacco is what he is but his post-seasons were not anything special prior to last season. He may very well duplicate it but it is unlikely especially with this team. I do think they steal the North from the Bengals though or the sixth seed from the Jets.

I understand what you're saying about Ozzie, but maybe by not giving Flacco that extra million the year before,  motivated him into leading the team to a Super Bowl. Who knows ? We know he's not  the caliber of Manning, Brady, Brees, or Rodgers, but I think most teams are going to have to pay for a compotent quarterback. Matt Ryan, who hasn't even won a Super Bowl, has an average salary higher than Flacco, and the Falcon's are tanking. The Ravens at least blew up the team, and have some kind of excuse. I get what you're saying about Ozzie, but there we just no alternatives out there. Had Ozzie signed Flacco after 2011, and he bombed in 2012, they would be nailing him for that. As you know, when you have a 2nd Super Bowl in the pocket, it makes things a bit easier.

I really think Ozzie did a good job of getting younger, and rebuilding the defense. As in most years in Baltimore, the offense is in shambles. Our center , Gradkowski is very bad, and a back up. AQ Shipley, playing at guard, is a back up center. Then Harbaugh brought in buddy Juan Castillo from Philadelphia, who has instituted a disastrous zone blocking scheme that has not worked. Every time Harbaugh brings in a buddy like Cam Cammeron, it is a disaster. Had he not cut ties and went to Caldwell, the Ravens certainly would not have won the Super Bowl. Right now, there are more pressing needs than Joe, and Ozzie better find the answers. 

I understand what you're saying about Ozzie, but maybe by not giving Flacco that extra million the year before,  motivated him into leading the team to a Super Bowl. Who knows ? We know he's not  the caliber of Manning, Brady, Brees, or Rodgers, but I think most teams are going to have to pay for a compotent quarterback. Matt Ryan, who hasn't even won a Super Bowl, has an average salary higher than Flacco, and the Falcon's are tanking. The Ravens at least blew up the team, and have some kind of excuse. I get what you're saying about Ozzie, but there we just no alternatives out there. Had Ozzie signed Flacco after 2011, and he bombed in 2012, they would be nailing him for that. As you know, when you have a 2nd Super Bowl in the pocket, it makes things a bit easier.

I really think Ozzie did a good job of getting younger, and rebuilding the defense. As in most years in Baltimore, the offense is in shambles. Our center , Gradkowski is very bad, and a back up. AQ Shipley, playing at guard, is a back up center. Then Harbaugh brought in buddy Juan Castillo from Philadelphia, who has instituted a disastrous zone blocking scheme that has not worked. Every time Harbaugh brings in a buddy like Cam Cammeron, it is a disaster. Had he not cut ties and went to Caldwell, the Ravens certainly would not have won the Super Bowl. Right now, there are more pressing needs than Joe, and Ozzie better find the answers. 

In fairness to Matt Ryan, he has been dealing with a ton of injuries and a very tough division. Down years are inevitable except for teams Qb'd by Brady or Manning. The steelers, giants, and even the eagles now for a few years are all struggling. The key is to know when to change a winning hand. Perhaps Belichick is best at this and also Ozzie. You have to move on from players before they become a cap albatross.

I don't think Ozzie would have been hammered for signing Joe long term even if he had not won last year's SB. It seemed people felt the way you did about Joe and did not want to go back to the Kyle Boller days. Great Qbs are hard enough to find but even good ones are rare.

In fairness to Matt Ryan, he has been dealing with a ton of injuries and a very tough division. Down years are inevitable except for teams Qb'd by Brady or Manning. The steelers, giants, and even the eagles now for a few years are all struggling. The key is to know when to change a winning hand. Perhaps Belichick is best at this and also Ozzie. You have to move on from players before they become a cap albatross.

I don't think Ozzie would have been hammered for signing Joe long term even if he had not won last year's SB. It seemed people felt the way you did about Joe and did not want to go back to the Kyle Boller days. Great Qbs are hard enough to find but even good ones are rare.

I like Ryan, but you could argue the Falcons and Texans are far worse off than the Ravens. These teams were picked at the top of their divisions, and tanked. You hit the nail on the head with Kyle Boller. That is why Ozzie gave Joe his money.

I like Ryan, but you could argue the Falcons and Texans are far worse off than the Ravens. These teams were picked at the top of their divisions, and tanked. You hit the nail on the head with Kyle Boller. That is why Ozzie gave Joe his money.

Sure but neither tanked because of poor GM moves. The Falcons were ravaged by injuries and the Texans have a question at QB. Both teams are solid and built to win as early as next season.

Actually, Ed Reed was brought in to the Texans to help the defense develop an absurd amount of mental toughness. Whether or not the Texans really knew about his hip problem didn't seem to alter the ideals to have Ed's prominent effects in the locker room. Instead of showing maturity and an ultra-positive influence in the locker room, he resigned within himself and then spout out against the coaching staff...exactly opposite of what he was brought in for. Physically, Ed didn't show us much of anything.