Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Upsetting the Applecart

atapcl

I agree, I do not think the reason McGlynn is on the team is because he and Grigson are buddies.  Whether Grigson thinks he sees some untapped potential, or he thinks McGlynn is "right there ready to make that jump to the next level", or whatever .... I don't know but, regardless of the reason he needs to let it go.

I also agree Grigson was up against the cap when McGlynn was signed in 2012 and he might have been our best option, so I do not fault him for that.  My problem is this season (2013) McGlynn's salary doubled from $700,000 to $1.5 million, money was not an issue this off season, and there were better options available for around the same price or less.

Matt Slauson - signed 1 yr $800,000 - Bears

Kevin Boothe - signed 1 yr $800,000 - Giants

Geoff Schwartz - signed 1 yr $1.2 million - KC

Chad Rinehart - signed 1 yr $1.75 million - SD

All these players (as well as others) were available, signed 1 yr deals, are making about the same or less, and are all better than McGlynn.  These players are also good enough to possibly have long term potential if for some reason Thornton does not work out. At the price these guys signed for one of these players should have been brought in even if Grigson was determined to keep McGlynn.

I agree PFF's statistics are not an exact science and do not agree with them 100%.  With that being said, if you change the settings in the PFF rankings to include EVERY guard who took even one snap McGlynn still ranks dead last; #160 out of 160 total.  So even if PFF's rankings are off, and he was slightly better than they gave him credit for he would still be one of the worst guards (including both starters and back ups, and both LGs & RGs) in the entire league. 

I am all for Grigson turning over every rock to find hidden gems; but sometimes the reason they are under rocks is because like McGlynn they are scrubs, and no amount of polishing is going to make them into gems.

I think McGlynn is here because he's the best of what we have at the moment, I am sure if someone better comes along, Thornton is who I am hoping for Grigson wont think twice about letting him go if it's the right move.  Again, my point has never been that McGlynn is this awesome player that we can't live without.  My point is that he's starting because he's the best we have at the moment and to think he's starting for other reasons is well silly.  Sounds like we agree on that point.

How much would the Colts have had to eat in letting McGlynn walk this year?  I honestly don't know and that has to be factored in there as well. I also think, Grigson has faith in Thornton which is why he didn't feel the need to go out and get someone else.  I think he honestly expected Thornton to challenge McGlynn for the starting job in camp and maybe even win it in which case they would have just let him grow into the job and McGlynn would have been depth.  Then Thornton got hurt and that has slowed him down but hey who knows Thornton or heck Ijalana might end up pushing for the job.  It's not like Grigson ignored the position he used our second draft pick (third round) to address the problem. 

Again numbers like that scare me slightly because they don't take into account like sample size.  Curtis Painter looked good at first when he had a very small sample size.  I just don't buy the idea McGlynn was the worst Right Guard in the league because that would have meant he was worse than guys behind him on the Colts depth chart.  I am guessing they were behind McGlynn for a reason.  With that said they might have put up better "numbers" when they were in there for McGlynn because it was a smaller sample size it could have been if they played longer their numbers would have gone down like McGlynn.  Just something to factor in there.  With that said, there is no doubt McGlynn didn't have a good 2012 season no matter how you measure it and again the actions of the Colts seem to support they understand that McGlynn is not the long term answer at right guard and that they are looking for an upgrade to it, IE Thornton.