Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Steven Jackson?

Jon Daily

He hasn't shown anything on the field - and had lots of opportunities - to break a run off, or take a pass, and take one to the house.

He sure did take a pass to the house during the first Titans game. :)

While I do think he won't ever be an Adrian Peterson or a top 10 back, I think he's good enough. Until the Colts somehow can draft an unbelievable RB in the first X years down the road, he should be fine.

I think he has potential to be a consistent 1,000 ish yard rusher with a good OL.

Yes, let's grab that RB who just had a freak injury to his Leg & probably will have a short NFL Career if he even gets Drafted. :sarcasm:

I'd rather take that RB we interviewed at the East-West Shrine Game

How many 7th round draft picks have you seen make the team in the past ten years, its called low cost high reward bye picking him up with our last pick is not a bad move and wont hurt our growth as a team, hell our last two draft picks from last year never played a snap or even finished the season with the team. Yes he is injured but lets not act as if guys have never got hurt right before the draft and came back and had good careers look at Willis McGahee in which they are two very simular injury's. Lattimore was slated to go in the top 10 in this years draft before getting hurt, now he might not get drafted. Why not take him with the last pick place him on IR same as we did Chapman last year until he is ready. Either way you look at it with such a late pick #214 it wont hurt the team rather then just picking up someone who we all know can't help the team (AKA) a camp body...

I don't think the poster meant Ballard would be better than Jackson in his peak of career rather a young Ballard, with an improved oline, will out perform a Jackson at this stage in his career. I agree with that, Jackson has been used up in his career. If Jackson would come over relatively at a bargain price, I wouldn't be opposed to him coming in but at this stage of his career, he isn't the game changer you are looking for.
Ok well then my question to you is who is the game changer I am looking for? Bush,Hillis Mendenhall if you had to pick one RB out of FA who is the game changer in the 2013 FA class?

Ok well then my question to you is who is the game changer I am looking for? Bush,Hillis Mendenhall if you had to pick one RB out of FA who is the game changer in the 2013 FA class?

Good question. Idk, what I'm saying is we don't need a big FA acquisition from the RB spot. A improved oline will make rb's look way better. A solid oline, good blitz recognition out of the rb and decent hands to have threat of a out let pass catcher will make most rb's more dangerous. Outside of an Adria Peterson type talent, you don't need to have that and a top talent of Luck, Brady, Manning etc... A good oline and top QB make a middle of the road RB look stellar IMHO.

And I agree, I think he will improve in all areas.  What doesn't just magically show up, appear out of nowhere, what can't be learned is game changing, break away, play making.  He hasn't shown anything on the field - and had lots of opportunities - to break a run off, or take a pass, and take one to the house.  Break ankles with some move, out run some safety, make plays in space to create a dynamic threat.  And there are plenty of RBs who do that now in the NFL.  I like the kid.  I agree he can improve.  But I don't think he is remotely a game changing threat, a player anyone will ever have to game plan against.  He can be a good NFL RB.  I don't ever see him being great. 

I don't think Ballard was drafted to be a burner in the NFL.  He was drafted to be a power back that is going to get us the tough yards when we need it because Carter had fumble issues.  To ask him to be something that he is not is laughable at best.  I think he's proven that he can be a feature back for us.  While he might not be the razzle dazzle blow the game open type of player you want, he can and should be a 1,000 yd back for us.