Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

If Eberflus was fired by Chicago would you want him back

Zoltan

6 hours ago, John Waylon said:

This is my worry. Ballard will voice “we brought in these guys for this system, we need to find someone to come in and run a system in a similar vein” and it’ll end being “meet the new boss, same as the old boss”.   

It is already that.   If you haven't noticed,  Irsay prefers a 4-3 zone defense.   Outside of Pagano, its all we have had.   I'm shocked his Cover band isn't named "Cover 2, perhaps 3"

3 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

It is already that.   If you haven't noticed,  Irsay prefers a 4-3 zone defense.   Outside of Pagano, its all we have had.   I'm shocked his Cover band isn't named "Cover 2, perhaps 3"

I don’t think Irsay would interject too highly in the defensive alignment at this stage of his life. He already learned what happens when he meddles too much with the Saturday move, and if Steichen came in after the season and said “I think I’d like to hire a DC who will run an attacking 3-4” Irsay would give him the leeway to do that.

Ballard, not so much. I can see him pushing back on such a request. 

Polian talked openly in his book about why building his defenses that way was cheaper and helped massage the cap around for the offense, but he was able to scout talent well enough to run that system until they handed the reigns to Larry Coyer who was in over his head and derailed it post-Dungy.