Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Addressing the offensive line - a history

John Hammonds

No discussion of the plight of Andrew Luck and his injury woes is ever without the comment "and the Colts never addressed the offensive line".  I thought I would document here what the Colts did do to address the offensive line, and the disasters that ensued during that time.

2011 - The year before Luck, when Peyton was out, and we were awful.

Draft 1st round - T Anthony Castonzo - never got pro bowl, but the most consistent OL we've had since the day he started

Draft 2nd round - T Ben Ijalana - injured during his rookie year.  Injured again in 2012, and released.

2012 - New GM, new coach, and new franchise QB Andrew Luck

Free Agent C Samson Satele - was servicable, but was not great.  Colts looked to replace him at the earliest opportunity.

Free Agent G Mike McGlynn - was ok, but not great.  Best days were behind him.

Free Agent T Winston Justice - Also, his best days were behind him.

2013 - 2nd year of Andrew Luck, after surprisingly making the playoffs his rookie year

Draft 3rd round - G Hugh Thornton - never developed.  Wound up on injured reserve in 2014, 2015, 2016.

Draft 4th round - C Khaled Holmes - was supposed to be our starter, but could never even beat out the free agents in training camp

Free Agent T Gosder Cherilus - never was great, but was actually fairly reliable.  I think it was a mistake to let him go when we did.

Free Agent T/G Joe Reitz - solid, reliable backup who could give you good starting minutes when required.  It was required.  Too many people hurt.

Free Agent T/G Jeff Linkenbaugh - good backup that was forced into starting role.

2014 - 3rd year of Andrew Luck, after winning a playoff game against KC in superman fashion

Draft 2nd round - Jack Mewhort - quality player, but kept getting hurt.  finished 2016 and 2017 on IR before retiring, citing injuries (sound familiar?)

Free Agent C A.Q. Shipley - brought in for depth, but beat draft choice Khaled Holmes for the starting job.  eventually released and started for the Cardinals

Free Agent C/G Jonatthan Harrison - also brought in for depth, also better than Khaled Holmes.  but really wasn't all that great.

Free Agent G Lance Lewis - also brought in for depth, but wound up starting games due to injuries

2015 - 4th year of Andrew Luck, the year we were supposed to go to the Super Bowl, after making the AFC champ game in 2014.  Wheels came off

Draft 7th round - T Denzelle Good - needed development, but wound up having to start anyway due to all the injuries.  never could fulfill his possibility, and wound up released

Free Agent G Todd Herrmanns - had to bring in due to injuries.  wasn't all that good.  Best days were behind him.

2016 - 5th year of Andrew Luck, after the disaster of 2015, and it was obvious that we needed to truly address the OL

Draft 1st round - C Ryan Kelly - very talented, potential pro bowl, but has injury issues

Draft 3rd round - T Le'Raven Clark - had potential, but could never fulfill it.  Will most likely be cut this year.

Draft 5th round - G/T Joe Haeg - drafted for depth.  Quality replacement when any lineman goes down.  They did.  A lot.

Draft 7th round - G/T Austin Blythe - quality player than needed some development.  We cut him.  He wound up starting for Rams in SB.  Go figure.

2017 - 6th year of Andrew Luck, who spent the entire year not playing after suffering injuries in 2016 equivalent to a serious car accident

Free Agent G Mark Glowinski - did not play until the following year, and started

2018 - 7th year of Andrew Luck, who miraculously came back from his year off and played well with a Very Good offensive line

Free Agent G Matt Slauson - veteran brought in to start, but got hurt instead

Free Agent T J'Marcus Webb - veteran brought in the help.  Better than draft choice Le'Raven Clark.  But, then again, who isn't?

Bottom line - I think that the idea that the Colts "never addressed" the OL is mistaken.  They tried.  A lot.

But I think their problems started with the 2013 draft choices.  Thornton was always hurt and never could develop.  Holmes was never good, and wound up being released.  Everything after that point was the team desperately trying to bring anyone with a working pulse to take those spots.  2015, 2016, and 2017 were a disaster, with so many players getting injured Chuck Pagano was never able to put the team he wanted on the field.

I'm glad we've gotten our OL figured out.  Uh...  Just in time for Anthony Castonzo to turn 30, and begin his descent from the form he'd been playing at all this time.  (did I say that out loud?  sorry)