Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Frank Reich Presser 8/28/2018

TKnight24

5 hours ago, stitches said:

Oh don't get me wrong - the run game still has its purpose and still is the right play in certain situation, just like sometimes in basketball you need to take a mid-range shot, but i do think that building around the run game is a strategy from yesteryears. You need to build your offense around a diverse passing game with a pinch of run game to keep the defense honest, or when the situation requires it(keeping leads late in the game, 2nd and short, etc). The run game should be IMO almost entirely situational football. 

BTW that's why I seem to be more optimistic on our defense than most - I'm not as worried about our defense giving up a ton of yards to the run. The most efficient run game in the league is still worse than most inefficient pass-games. Running the ball and defending the run have close to zero predictive power on how good your team is. Passing the ball and defending the pass are by far the the best predictors for success in the league. 

Having a solid run game is absolutley critical in football. Someone eluded to keeping the defense honest. That is because you use the run game to set up the pass. Some of the best offenses and especially great quarterbacks were all about play action. Its not shotgun or 3-7 step drops n spread em out. The threat of a run is imperative.