Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

McGlynn & Satele

arkana04

I think it's become clear to everyone that McGlynn and Satele are the weak links on the line.  If we can figure it out I am sure Grigson can too.  However, just because we don't like them doesn't mean Grigson can snap his fingers and make two better players appear.  If we had better options I am sure Pagano would have them out there. 

Costanzo

Reitz

McGlynn

Thornton

Cherilus

That's a competent starting 5, in my opinion

If the coaches who see these guys every day in practice, something we don't, thought that way I am sure they would do it.

I don't think it's that simple. Unless Reitz has seriously regressed since last year, there's no way McGlynn should be starting at guard over him, or Linkenbach for that matter. And Satele has been a disappointment since he got here. Satele only starts because he's our 2nd highest paid linemen. Plain and simple

I don't think it's that simple. Unless Reitz has seriously regressed since last year, there's no way McGlynn should be starting at guard over him, or Linkenbach for that matter. And Satele has been a disappointment since he got here. Satele only starts because he's our 2nd highest paid linemen. Plain and simple

you don't know that. That's your opinion which is fine. Coaches are going to play who they think are the best guys because they want to win games or they get fired. I am sure Pagano has a reason but someone would have to ask him. It sounds like they like McGlynn as a run blocker and they were fourth in the NFL going into Monday in running the ball and keep saying they want to be a power running team. So if they think McGlynn is better there maybe they are willing to give up a little in pass protection for that.

Maybe it's because reitz has moved to tackle and they want him to stay there along with the tightend spot he plays. There are all sorts of reasons it could be. You would have to ask one of the coaches why it is but I am sure they have an answer and I am also pretty sure it's not because they are being told they have to start.

Matt Miller @nfldraftscout #Colts need to spend a first-round pick on an offensive lineman...but they traded one for a running back

Matt Miller @nfldraftscout

#Colts spent RD1 pick on LT Costanzo. Paid RT Cherlius BIG $ in free agency. And yet, they can't protect or open rushing lanes

Matt Miller @nfldraftscout

#Colts will want to look at OGs like Gabe Jackson, Zack Martin, Spencer Long after Rd 1

I agree, both of these guys are terrible and the reason were so inconsistent as an offensive line. Will definitely need to upgrade the o-line in the draft.

Costanzo and Cherlius are the least of the O-Line's problem.  Your interior lineman cannot be getting blown back every single play.

you don't know that. That's your opinion which is fine. Coaches are going to play who they think are the best guys because they want to win games or they get fired. I am sure Pagano has a reason but someone would have to ask him. It sounds like they like McGlynn as a run blocker and they were fourth in the NFL going into Monday in running the ball and keep saying they want to be a power running team. So if they think McGlynn is better there maybe they are willing to give up a little in pass protection for that.

Maybe it's because reitz has moved to tackle and they want him to stay there along with the tightend spot he plays. There are all sorts of reasons it could be. You would have to ask one of the coaches why it is but I am sure they have an answer and I am also pretty sure it's not because they are being told they have to start.

I don't know that, you're right. But neither do you. Coaches are not immune to make bad decisions based on bias, or a player being in good or bad standing with said coach. It's not always about talent. That has become abundantly apparent watching this line the last 2 seasons. Shipley was clearly better than Satele last year, and Thornton, Reitz and Linkenbach have all shown more at the guard position this year (in the case of Thornton and Linkenbach) and last (Reitz) than McGlynn ever has, yet both Satele and McGlynn continue to trot out on the field every week, confident that their jobs are not in the least bit of jeopardy. I think that's what bugs me more than anything. We all know the coaching staff has no intentions of having a competition this year, despite the horrendous play of those 2. No real threat of competition breeds complacency. These guys might even actually start playing good if they knew they had new blood breathing down their back, waiting to take their jobs.