Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The True Job Of A Head Coach

Mexicolt

I see a lot of threads about the possible candidates and the thing that jumps out the most to me is that people seem to concentrate their attention a lot on three things:

NFL experience and Offensive/Defensive background, and also, some people think former or current coordinators are a risk because of the personnel they had or have as of this moment.

I believe there are two things that really make a HC:

1. LEADERSHIP

2. GAME MANAGEMENT (including the ability to make adjustments THROUGH HIS COORDINATORS AND POSITIONAL COACHES)

You want a guy who has clear ideas and knows how to focus everyone's efforts to the common goal. A guy who gets the inconditional respect of his players and his coaching staff, a good "psicologyst", a leader of men, a congruent man, who keeps people concentrated at all times during the games.

Then you want a guy who makes the right decisions on the sidelines, time management and game adjustments, a guy who delegates, who doesn't micromanage every single aspect of the gameplan, but who trusts his staff to understand what he KNOWS is needed.

It's just like Grigson, he has no idea what Cap management means, so? if he is the talent evaluator Irsay thinks he is, he'll be fine as our GM, he can learn while he allows the talent around him to make those decisions...

Sure, a guy who calls the right plays would be awesome as a HC, a man with a real knowledge and control over the defense or offense, a strategist a Bellichick, a Rex Ryan or whatever, that's a plus and it sure helps you a lot, but I truly believe a coach is just like a company's manager:

1. make decisions

2. surround yourself with talent

3. achieve results

k, see ya'

+1

Just because Mike Zimmer is a good DC, doesn't mean our defense will be lights out. Same goes for almost all of the canditates mentioned who are OC's/DC's. Not saying none will be good, but calling plays is different then managing a team of players and coaches.

We will be taking a chance with any of them, which is just another reason I'm going to continue to push for Brian Billick.

+1

Just because Mike Zimmer is a good DC, doesn't mean our defense will be lights out. Same goes for almost all of the canditates mentioned who are OC's/DC's. Not saying none will be good, but calling plays is different then managing a team of players and coaches.

We will be taking a chance with any of them, which is just another reason I'm going to continue to push for Brian Billick.

Billick would be ideal but I don't think it's likely at any stretch. There's no way to know if they'll be good without experience (Zimmer/Pagano) but you can get a feel through interviews so let's trust Irsay's judgement. The main reason people want Zimmer and Pagano is because they've both done a stand up job as DC, which means whatever happens close work with whoever our DC will be, we'll see a defensive improvement. That does not necessarily mean they'll be a good head coach.