Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Position Depth Comfort Level

myic90

1 hour ago, jskinnz said:

I am talking an in-game injury to McAfee.  If that were the case I would bet $5 bazillion dollars that AV would punt the rest of the game.

Of course they would then sign a punter if necessary the following week.

You may be correct. who knows. We might pick up an answer to that by watching who is practicing punting during training camp? The kickers normally are off to the side or on another field altogether.

6 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

More than likely they are not on the roster at this time. I don't think there would be anyway the Colts would have AV do both. The best punter in NFL history retired at age 37 because he just couldn't do it no more and AV is 43. Big difference between kicking FGs and punting physically.

?  If they aren't on the roster, they can't replace McAfee in the middle of a game, and I don't think they're going to have a backup punter just in case.

They would call on Vinny to finish the game, but like jskinnz said, they would get a capable replacement for McAfee ASAP, because, like you said crazycolt1, Vinny is too old to handle the kicking and punting duties for the team for an extended period of time.

8 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

Wake up! We will see Plenty of 2 TE sets so we are average to weak at the position.
And Proven average to weak at OLB.
RB Ugh!
CB a definite concern.
Thin at WR.
  These new coaches need to be very good!

I bet we keep 3 TE's how is Allen Doyle and a rookie average to weak. We will see a major decrease in 2TE sets I believe. 

WR if we keep 5 how can we be thin? 4 are in the roster even 6 we only have 2 spots. We have good young talent.  Last  year we had big name vet what did that do? I like the young WR's

RB isn't that bad. It's better than what we had last year. Ferguson could bring a dimension we have never had. 

OLB Cole/Mathis are old although I think we get a better Mathis this year. We need Okine to step in and get it done. I know Maggitt is the flavor of the month but I'd watch Thompson most mocks had him drafted. We could have problems here but we

knew that. Remember Sio and junior have played the edge. 

The back end is a concern to me both S and more so CB. There are guys that could produce

It's a bit premature for the glass is half empty stuff especially when it's not at half the places you are worried about. 

Just now, akcolt said:

I bet we keep 3 TE's how is Allen Doyle and a rookie average to weak. We will see a major decrease in 2TE sets I believe. 

WR if we keep 5 how can we be thin? 4 are in the roster even 6 we only have 2 spots. We have good young talent.  Last  year we had big name vet what did that do? I like the young WR's

RB isn't that bad. It's better than what we had last year. Ferguson could bring a dimension we have never had. 

OLB Cole/Mathis are old although I think we get a better Mathis this year. We need Okine to step in and get it done. I know Maggitt is the flavor of the month but I'd watch Thompson most mocks had him drafted. We could have problems here but we

knew that. Remember Sio and junior have played the edge. 

The back end is a concern to me both S and more so CB. There are guys that could produce

It's a bit premature for the glass is half empty stuff  especially when it's not at half the places you are worried about. 

2 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

?  If they aren't on the roster, they can't replace McAfee in the middle of a game, and I don't think they're going to have a backup punter just in case.

They would call on Vinny to finish the game, but like jskinnz said, they would get a capable replacement for McAfee ASAP, because, like you said crazycolt1, Vinny is too old to handle the kicking and punting duties for the team for an extended period of time.

That remains to be seen. Pat is a huge part of the team and wouldn't be easily replaced in case of injury. Like I stated in an earlier post there might be a player on the roster that can punt, I am not sure. That will be answered at training camp when all the kickers practice together. Normally they are separate from the other players and most of the time are on a different field. Pretty much the only time they are with the rest of the team it is during some sort of scrimmage. Pat will work out with the return guys when they are working on that. I have also seen Pat lined up in different positions other than kicking too. If you get the chance check out training camp.

13 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

That remains to be seen. Pat is a huge part of the team and wouldn't be easily replaced in case of injury. Like I stated in an earlier post there might be a player on the roster that can punt, I am not sure. That will be answered at training camp when all the kickers practice together. Normally they are separate from the other players and most of the time are on a different field. Pretty much the only time they are with the rest of the team it is during some sort of scrimmage. Pat will work out with the return guys when they are working on that. I have also seen Pat lined up in different positions other than kicking too. If you get the chance check out training camp.

Yeah, hopefully this is all a non-issue.  God forbid Boomstick actually gets injured and AV HAS to punt.  I love training camp.  It sounds lame, but the punting practice is one of the most exciting parts of TC.  It's one of the few times they need the whole field to practice a play, and you get to see the ball travel the length of the field, even though it's not Luck to TY for 80 yds. :clover: