Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Could Freeney/mathis Be Traded?

BProland85

What was your take on the Super Bowl Smitto? I'm still confused as to if you are a Colts fan or a Pats fan due to some of the posts I've read. Can you clear this up for me? No seriously I'm not being a *, I'm just curious.. I don't care if you like the Pats

Mate you must be mad if you think I like the pats, I use to put all of their players attributes on madden below 50%, just to see them have a losing season on franchise mode lol

Exactly If you listen to every team we play they adjust their offensive game plan because of Freeney and Mathis. While they might not have had the best numbers in the world this season they are still the two players on our defense that teams fear. If we trade them who do we have that other teams look at on defense and go gee we are going to have a hard time stopping them? Bethea and Angerer are good players but they are more reaction type players. Meaning the make plays after the offensive has done something. Freeney and Mathis are about only two attacking players on defense meaning they try to disrupt the other teams offense before something happens. I don't think either is going any place. First of all didn't someone have a quote from Irsay saying as much? Didn't Pagano say he didn't see an issue with them becoming 3-4 linebackers? Also, while Peyton Manning has been the face of our team Freeney has been the second face. I don't see us dumping the two faces of our franchise in one off-season. Yes something needs to be done with Freeney's contract but I think what you will see is that the Colts extend him three or four years and lower that cap number. Mathis will be tagged and a long term contract will be worked out with him or maybe they play him under the franchise tag for a year and see if Hughes can step up in a 3-4 defense and then let Mathis leave or extend him after that. With Freeney and Mathis you have something to build around on defense, if you dump them you are pretty much starting over completely on defense and if we are going to take a QB with our top over all pick that's not a good spot to be in. Also I've heard it hinted at by Pagano he would like to do the hybrid type defense where you play a little 3-4 and a little 4-3. Maybe what you see is Freeney play end on 4-3 plays while Hughes plays linebacker on 3-4 plays to rest Freeney. Also for all the people who say Freeney and Mathis can't play the run I am not sure I buy that. I think it's more of a case that they haven't been asked too. The Colts in the past haven't hidden the fact they wanted Freeney and Mathis to go get the QB. They counted on the linebackers to handle the run behind Freeney and Mathis. You can't give away all your good players. This team already has enough holes to fill without having to add to it the poistions of speed rushers.

exactly, this team already has way too many holes...and you want more?

but i gotta admit, i am worried about the 3-4. there are both sides: i just dont see freeney playing standing up, dropping on zone coverage on some plays (and i know he wont do it often but even suggs had to do it) and i dont see him playing DE on a 3 4.

i guess it deppends on what type of 3-4 he uses or how much 3 4 he uses cause for all we know he might just go 4 3 (with more blitzes) while he gets the players to run a 3 4

Ok I have gotten mixed answers to this thread, but for those who agree with me that Freeney could and should be traded to bring us more young talent...

What could we expect to get back in a trade for Freeney?

leaving your mathis franchise and trade, that you said happens all the time, out now?

it's not that hard to admitt you were wrong and will get people off your back about it.

Mate you must be mad if you think I like the pats, I use to put all of their players attributes on madden below 50%, just to see them have a losing season on franchise mode lol

hahahaha.. Well I just thought I remembered some pro-Brady posts from you in the past during Manning-Brady discussions. But obviously I stand corrected. Good to know you're on our side

hahahaha.. Well I just thought I remembered some pro-Brady posts from you in the past during Manning-Brady discussions. But obviously I stand corrected. Good to know you're on our side

Im just objective, i was defending brady.. i hate the team not the players (to some point) if hernendez came to the colts i sure wouldnt hate that.

How many teams in the league can you think of willing to spends that kind of money (and whatever we want in trade) for an aging undersized speed rusher?

about the same number that would spend $$$ on an aging broken neck QB. just kidding, tired of hearing about cutting or trading core players

Former Titans LB Keith Bulluck, a long-time friend of Dwight Freeney, says the veteran Colts star has no intention of converting to outside linebacker in the new coach Chuck Pagano's 3-4 defense.

"Dwight's thinking is, he ain't standing up," Bulluck said. "Dwight's had his hand in the (ground) for 11 years." The Colts can save $14 million of Freeney's more than $19 million against the cap by releasing him, but Freeney doesn't expect that to happen. Keeping the Pro Bowl pass rusher on the roster at that rate would be like decking out a jalopy with a Rolls Royce hood ornament.