Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What Would Veterns Think?

ace_6900

They won't get it. It could be s-p-e-l-l-e-d out in the greatest detail and they wouldn't get it.

I've been trying to think of analogy, and the best I can come up with is that if you had 300.00 to your name, and your Power Bill was 295.00 and due today or its cut off, you could donate that 300 to charity, or give it to a friend, but you aren't going to.

Yeah we could pay Manning 28 million, and then move him and have a 38million dollar dead cap hit. Yes it could happen, but it won't happen. They are either going to get and comprehend why it won't happen, or they are going to continue to say trade to Washington, trade to Miami, etc, etc.

I feel there are 3 options.

Manning's option is picked up and he plays for the Colts.

Manning's option is declined and he's a free agent, he signs elsewhere to continue playing.

Manning retires.

Is this a change with the new CBA? Before when a player is traded the team that gets the player has to absorb the the cap hit and teh guaranteed. It's only when a player is cut that the team has to absorb the guaranteed money as a cap hit.

Is this a change with the new CBA? Before when a player is traded the team that gets the player has to absorb the the cap hit and teh guaranteed. It's only when a player is cut that the team has to absorb the guaranteed money as a cap hit.

It has never been like that. The team paying the signing bonus has always had to absorb the cap hit. The new team is only responsible for base salaries owed on an existing contract, and those can be renegotiated.

It has never been like that. The team paying the signing bonus has always had to absorb the cap hit. The new team is only responsible for base salaries owed on an existing contract, and those can be renegotiated.

Thanks. I don't pay much attention to how the cap works, I depend on on people on this forum to explain things when I have a question.

Question FJC..... if Peyton is released and becomes a free agent, would we get a compensatory pick under his situation if he signs elsewhere?

Question FJC..... if Peyton is released and becomes a free agent, would we get a compensatory pick under his situation if he signs elsewhere?

I'm not 100% sure... I'd have to look more into that. He's not really going to be released or cut. Technically he's not under contract for 2012 right now. To retain him we will have to pick up the option/bonus. If we don't then becomes a free agent and at first thought that should make his status eligible for receiving some form of compensatory compensation.

I'm not 100% sure... I'd have to look more into that. He's not really going to be released or cut. Technically he's not under contract for 2012 right now. To retain him we will have to pick up the option/bonus. If we don't then becomes a free agent and at first thought that should make his status eligible for receiving some form of compensatory compensation.

Thanks....I'm curious about that.

A trade and the subsequent 38m cap hit would be insane, but if I remember right if we don't pick up the option and he's released it's still a 10m cap hit. That's not ideal either, but its a heck of alot less painful....and a comp pick would help it sting a little less.

Hopefully he's in a place medically where Irsay is comfortable with picking up the March option.

This uncertainty sucks all the way around.

Thanks....I'm curious about that.

A trade and the subsequent 38m cap hit would be insane, but if I remember right if we don't pick up the option and he's released it's still a 10m cap hit. That's not ideal either, but its a heck of alot less painful....and a comp pick would help it sting a little less.

Hopefully he's in a place medically where Irsay is comfortable with picking up the March option.

This uncertainty sucks all the way around.

No problem.

Manning plays 17 million cap hit.

Option not picked up 10.4 cap hit

Option picked up and traded 38.4, so yeah that's not happening.

Nothing is ideal at this point outside of him returning to health and playing out his contract but even that isn't ideal with so much money tied up at the qb position with Luck as a back up.