Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Brioncios sign FB / RB Jacob Hester and re -added running back Jeremiah Johnson to the practice squad.

bayone

A fifth-year pro, Hester has rushed for 319 yards on 94 carries (3.4 avg.) with one touchdown in 62 career games (23 starts). A third-round draft choice by the San Diego Chargers in 2008, he spent his first four seasons in San Diego.

Hester is also a receiving threat out of the backfield, having caught 55 passes for 308 yards (5.6 avg.) and three touchdowns in his career. He's also made an impact on special teams, having posted 36 tackles and scored two special-teams touchdowns.

---------------------------

Johnson has rushed for 77 yards on 14 carries with seven catches for 62 yards in eight career NFL games.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Broncos-Sign-Hester/85e340c3-687e-481f-8ef4-97615d88833c

Hester, at 235 pounds, becomes the biggest back on the Broncos' roster. Hester was at the team's Dove Valley complex Monday and will practice with the team Wednesday.

Hester started 23 games for the Chargers in his four seasons with the team, usually working out of the fullback spot.

(( I HOPE THEY DONT GO BACK TO 2 BACK SETS )

Read more:Broncos sign Jacob Hester to add bulk at running back vs. Buccaneers - The Denver Posthttp://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_22067652/broncos-sign-rb-jacob-hester#ixzz2DM12n1JX

“He’s a very smart guy,” Fox said of Hester. “He’s a little more of a 'tweener (between a running back and fullback) type as far as a bigger, more physical type of back. He is very sharp in protections and he gives us a little bit different dimension than the guys we have on the roster at this point.”

“We spent time with him in the workout, a lot of it protection-based, and he did an excellent job,” he continued.

Though Monday marked Hester’s first day as a Bronco, four previous seasons in the AFC West as a Charger made Denver a landing spot with some familiarity.

“I’m not going to lie, today in the weight room they broke it down on 'Broncos,' and that was a little weird saying Broncos,” Hester said. “I’m excited, I’m familiar with a lot of the guys here because I’ve played against them the last four years in the division. I know a lot of them from college, (linebacker Wesley) Woodyard and (tight end Jacob) Tamme, I’ve played against them for a long time. It will be fun, something I’m looking forward to.”

Hester first worked out for the Broncos coaching staff last week, when his effort drew praise and he was told to expect a phone call. But because of the timing of Thanksgiving and Denver’s trip to Kansas City, Hester did not sign with his new team until Monday.

Hester is a big body capable of serving as a lead blocker and carrying the ball in short-yardage situations. But at the moment, his only expectation regarding his role is that he will be utilized on special teams.

“I don’t know, I’ll find out,” Hester said of how he anticipates being used. “Obviously fullback’s not a huge part of the offense here. So we’ll see. I’m expecting it to be on special teams first, that being my background. We’ll go from there

( my comment, hope he is good in short yardage and in protection, an occasional lead blocker fine, but no consistent 2 back sets again )

http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Hester-Joins-Broncos-Backfield/e407dbb9-7809-4a48-ba68-0b5cd7a1dd26

Hester is expected to get some carries in the offense at some point. He'll first have to get acclimated

He's played some in a single-back set in his career. And he could see some snaps in a two-back look as well having lined up as a fullback previously in his career too.

Hester is seen as a run-game option, as well as a potential receiver out of the backfield. And the fact the Broncos spent so much time with him on pass-protection scenarios in his workout last week is an indication he will make an appearance on passing downs,

possibly as a single back,

as soon as he has a handle on the offense.

Fox added that when put through the paces in some of the Broncos' protection schemes, Hester did "an excellent job."

Read more:Broncos' Chris Gronkowski unlikely to take any handoffs this season - The Denver Posthttp://www.denverpos...s#ixzz2DQL05aNt