Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Tony Dungy

bap1331

Do you really think Polian didn't do exactly as he wanted?

No, I don't.  I don't think Polian was quite the dictator that people think he was.  I absolutely believe that Dungy was just as involved in player selection as any other head coach would be.  I do not believe that Polian just went out and got the players that he wanted without consulting with Dungy on what kind of players Dungy needed.  Now, I'm sure Polian determined the ratio of how much they spent in terms of offense vs. defense but if Dungy had any major issues, I don't believe that Polian would have just told him to get over it or anything like that.  It wouldn't make any sense for the success of the team for Polian to not involve Dungy and the other coaches in selecting players for the team. 

You know I really don't get the hate some have for Tony Dungy here. He's the only coach in the history of the Indianapolis Colts to win a Super Bowl. Before people say well he had Peyton Manning and another coach would have won more Super Bowls than Dungy did I would remind you Dungy's one Super Bowl is one more than any other coach has coaching Peyton Manning. So I don't buy the argument that Dungy some how held Peyton back. In fact I think if you look at Peyton's numbers under Dungy and how the rest of Peyton's career has gone without Dungy that Dungy got more out of Peyton than any other coach has.

Also Dungy's defense lasted longer than six seasons. He used it for seven years in Tampa before he got here and had success with it there too. Before people downplay his success with the Bucs look at what the Bucs have been without Dungy, one of the worst teams in the league short of a season with Dungy's players the year after he was fired. Dungy took the Bucs to level they have never sniffed without him. Don't think the Bucs regret letting Dungy go? Look at what they are doing now, bringing in Lovie Smith to try to re-create the Dungy era.

So if people want to hate on Dungy and under value his accomplishments fine but I don't understand it. He's easily the best coach in the history of the Indianapolis Colts one of the best coaches in the history of the franchise depending on how you feel about Weeb Ewbank and Don Shula.

It's interesting you should notice this. I have noticed a lot of fans saying Peyton choked all these years, but they never would ever say such a thing while he was a colt.