Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

GCG5150 Draft Profile: Carl Bradford

Hello Everyone- I though since we are getting closer to the draft, I would put together some draft profiles on people the Colts may consider. If you anyone you want me to talk about- let me know. Today, thanks to Chad72 for the choice, I will talk about Carl Bradford, OLB from Arizona State.

Strengths:

The first thing I noticed on a few plays, was Bradford's first step. To see that 1st step meant the opposing lineman was at a huge disadvantage. Also, he has good tape speed- that is to say, he looks quite quick in speed.

He is a very smart football player. Often, I would see him break off his blocks to cover the Running Back if the Running back was open. His awareness could be useful against teams with the option.

He is a  good timer of the blitz, like fellow Pac 12 linebacker Shayne Skov, Bradford is often good at timing his blitzing. Also, he often goes through the gap of the o-line which some actually don't do, e.g vs Stanford, he went through the gap 3 times and caused a turnover on one of them.

He is versatile- he has played on the outside but at the same time, he may have some capability to play ILB in a 3-4 defense aswell.

Concerns: 

He often gets stuck on blocks, as in if a run was to bump to the outside, Bradford would have trouble getting off his man to make the tackle. 

Although he does have speed on his side, Bradford can often get over powered by other lineman,he would need to build up strength to play the outside.

There was little footage of him in coverage. Although has the speed, in practice it could be hard for him to keep up if he's covering RBs or TEs.

His size raises some questions on whether he will play the OLB or an ILB in the NFL, at about 6'0 (1/2) 250LBs, he seems a little short to play to the outside unless he can gain some strength.

Pro Comparison:  Lamar Woodley- Despite Woodley being bigger in size, Bradford's Measureables from the combine show they are are very similar. Woodley has show he is a scary pass rusher, averaging about 8 sacks a season. Bradford may have the capability of playing like Woodley at the next level. 

Should the Colts draft him: If Ryan Grigson is looking to add versatility on the Linebacker corp, Bradford could be an interesting prospect. as for draft projection, it is possible we may hear Bradfords' name called in the 3rd round and it could be possible that the colts are the ones taking him if they miss out on a pass rusher/OLB in the 2nd.

Let me know if there is anyone you want me to write about.

Read a lot saying Bradford was a product of the system would need to play on the inside in NFL because of lack of speed. Said he was a personal protector on special teams.

We are in a good position to go BAP see no reason not too. I think with all the hype the WR's and CB's are getting we could get a good DT/NG type to fall right in our laps

I would really like to pick up more picks not give up our 1 or 2 next year but trade back get more picks there seems to be good quality through the 5th round. Be nice to get an extra 3rd and a 4th.