Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Early 2013 Colts Draft/FA (Post Davis signing)

Free Agency...

Indy signs either WR Dwayne Bowe or WR Mike Wallace (I could definately see us signing one of these guys if they become available. We will need a new #1 WR soon, since Reggie Wayne is starting to play the role Hines Ward did for Pitt and Wayne is getting a little older.)

Indy signs CB DJ Moore (Another CB is needed outside of Davis and Powers at the nickel.)

I didnt have us signing an OL cause I didnt see anyone worthy enough of us handing out good money to. Both OTs Brandon Albert from KC and Sebastian Vollmer from NE will probably be resigned or franchised.

2013 NFL Draft(14th pick)

1st- Indy trades down to 25th pick and gets extra 2nd in return. Indy selects NT Johnathon Hankins (We need another NT to go along with Josh Chapman since he is coming off injury. Plus Hankins is versatile and could be used in a similar way Haloti Ngata is used.)

2nd(via trade)- OG Travis Frederick (Comes from Wisconsin, so he has OL pedigree. He would instantly be one of our starting OGs. Hopefully Ben Ijalana comes back next year and ends up being our starting RT.)

3rd- SS Bacarri Rambo (We need our SS of the future, and Im not sure Zbikowski is it yet.)

I am gonna do my version. I agree on Bowe and Wallace, so I will just copy your evaluation.

Indy signs either WR Dwayne Bowe or WR Mike Wallace (I could definately see us signing one of these guys if they become available. We will need a new #1 WR soon, since Reggie Wayne is starting to play the role Hines Ward did for Pitt and Wayne is getting a little older.)

Indy signs CB Cary Williams Pagano likes him a lot and he likes Pagano a lot. Can be our #2 corner and we can move Powers to to the nickel position, where he will excel.

1st - Indy trades down to the #18 pick and collects a second. With the pick they select Barrett Jones, OL out of Bama. Jones is the most versatile lineman in the draft and can help solidify our O-Line.

2nd - T.J. Mcdonald, S out of USC. He has good instincts and is a hard hitter. He would finish our secondary and make it one of the leagues best.

3rd - Margus Hunt, DE out of SMU. He is an athletic freak!! At 6-8, he has blocked 14 kicks in 3 years. He has a 36 inch vertical, can bench it 45 times, and can run a 4.6 40 yard dash. He is raw, but if he pans out he will be a nightmare for opposing defenses and special teams for years to come.

Free Agency...

Indy signs CB DJ Moore (Another CB is needed outside of Davis and Powers at the nickel.)

I didnt have us signing an OL cause I didnt see anyone worthy enough of us handing out good money to. Both OTs Brandon Albert from KC and Sebastian Vollmer from NE will probably be resigned or franchised.

2013 NFL Draft(14th pick)

1st- Indy trades down to 25th pick and gets extra 2nd in return. Indy selects NT Johnathon Hankins (We need another NT to go along with Josh Chapman since he is coming off injury. Plus Hankins is versatile and could be used in a similar way Haloti Ngata is used.)

2nd(via trade)- OG Travis Frederick (Comes from Wisconsin, so he has OL pedigree. He would instantly be one of our starting OGs. Hopefully Ben Ijalana comes back next year and ends up being our starting RT.)

3rd- SS Bacarri Rambo (We need our SS of the future, and Im not sure Zbikowski is it yet.)

Just my take :

I think Wallace and Bowe are both non-options for this franchise right now. I think Hilton and Brazill have come in and shown us they can be assets. I even love what I see from Kris Adams. I hope he makes the team. Either way...WR should be ok right now and get better through the draft.

As far as the draft goes.

1. I don't like the idea of trading down unless the position is deep and I think we need to get the best O-lineman in the draft next year. If we could trade down and pick up a 2nd rounder or get another 3rd choice for moving just a couple of spots...then I'd do it.

2. We'll see if we have a 2nd round pick...but the position is right.

3. I don't think Rambo makes it to the 3rd round at all. S is shallow.

I would like to get a top WR o be the #2 and learn under reggie for a couple of years, but dont want to wait to address o-line either. USC WR would be great for us. But also feel we have to focus on O-line and defense so luck can stay upright and we can continue the change to a hybrid/ dominant defense.

I'd like to get a top wide receiver but as we saw yesterday, Those wide receivers are useless if we cant keep Luck upright, I think we can groom a wide receiver with excellent physical skills to become a very good #1 and if not we can get it the year after. Look how New England is doing and they dont have a true #1

Receivers Im looking at later in the draft (6-7th round) are

Quinton Patton-Louisiana Tech

Alec Lemon-Syracuse

Conner Vernon-Duke

I'd like to get a top wide receiver but as we saw yesterday, Those wide receivers are useless if we cant keep Luck upright, I think we can groom a wide receiver with excellent physical skills to become a very good #1 and if not we can get it the year after. Look how New England is doing and they dont have a true #1

Receivers Im looking at later in the draft (6-7th round) are

Quinton Patton-Louisiana Tech

Alec Lemon-Syracuse

Conner Vernon-Duke

The problem being, can our TE's Play like the Pats TE's do? thats why there offense works so well without dominant WR's on the outside.

The problem being, can our TE's Play like the Pats TE's do? thats why there offense works so well without dominant WR's on the outside.

Im sure they can, they just have to see more passes thrown there way, they have gotten a couple but nothing much

Im sure they can, they just have to see more passes thrown there way, they have gotten a couple but nothing much

Ya thats what i'm concerned with, BA was known for not liking to throw to his TE's all that much during his time as OC in Pittsburgh.

Ya thats what i'm concerned with, BA was known for not liking to throw to his TE's all that much during his time as OC in Pittsburgh.

Im sure if Arians wasnt planning on throwing to his 2 young talented TEs often, he wouldnt have been hired. Granted he was hired before they were drafted, but the fact that we spent early picks on them indicates we are going to use them, or else they were wasted picks.

we can sign a veteran o-linemen in free agency, we should focus on defense. i think we should go after star nt from utah, many scouts are comparing him to ngata. even if chapmon comes back they both can play at the same time because moala and nevis aren't 3-4 de's. if star isn't their then we go after ss eric reid to replace zbikowski who's been a none show at preseason. if both of those guys are gone then my jarvis jones should be the pick. freeney won't be back next year and mathis isn't young anymore but whoever we draft im sure it'll be defensive. the last thing we need is a rookie offensive tackle to protect luck, the'll be lots of veteran o-linemen we can sign.

I think if Fleener or Allen catches 65 balls for 14 or 15 ypc or between 910-975 yards on the season and if the other can 55 for 14.0 ypc for 770 yards then it will be a major success

I think if you're counting on the combo of Fleener/Allen to combine for 120 receptions for roughly 1700 yards I think you've going to be very, very disappointed.

I was pegging those numbers at roughly 100 receptions combined for roughly 1300-1400 yards. I think if we get the numbers you're hoping for we're either (A) making the playoffs, or (B) all of our WR's are hurt or really struggling.

I hope you're right. But suspect you're not.

Ok Im making some altercations to my draft. I think OL and Defense are the two most important issues in this draft. That being said, here is my updated draft with a trade down...

1st round(14th overall with an 8-8 record)

-Indy trades down to the 23rd overall pick and acquires an extra 2nd in the process.

-Indy selects SS Eric Reid

-This pick gives us a very good safety tandem in Bethea and Reid and makes our secondary that much better with Davis and Powers at CB. Remember, I also had us signing free agent DJ Moore at CB as well.

2nd(via trade)- OG Travis Frederick (Frederick gives us a road grader in the run game we desperately need. He will start at RG opposite Joe Reitz at the other guard spot, unless Ben Ijalana makes a great recovery. Also I have us signing OT Jermon Bushrod from the Saints in free agency and he starts at RT for us.)

3rd- DE/OLB DeMontre Moore (Moore gives us a good speed rusher to develop to split time with Mathis and Hughes. Freeney will be gone after this year. No reason to overpay to keep him around.)

What do ya think? I rather like this draft and Free agent signings for us.

I think if you're counting on the combo of Fleener/Allen to combine for 120 receptions for roughly 1700 yards I think you've going to be very, very disappointed.

I was pegging those numbers at roughly 100 receptions combined for roughly 1300-1400 yards. I think if we get the numbers you're hoping for we're either (A) making the playoffs, or (B) all of our WR's are hurt or really struggling.

I hope you're right. But suspect you're not.

if 1 of them isn't being thrown the ball at least 3-4 times a game (on average of course) then they were a wasted draft pick once you take into account that we drafted Luck and that we will be using them in two Tight End sets often from the looks of it, that dont mean they have to be the center of the offense of course but they can be a security blanket for Luck if used that much

if 1 of them isn't being thrown the ball at least 3-4 times a game (on average of course) then they were a wasted draft pick once you take into account that we drafted Luck and that we will be using them in two Tight End sets often from the looks of it, that dont mean they have to be the center of the offense of course but they can be a security blanket for Luck if used that much

I won't be surprised if Luck completes 350 passes this year on 550+ attempts. It would be pretty easy to see Allen and Fleener getting 110-140 of those collectively. We've yet begun to showcase them, but they are 2 of our best 4 receiving weapons - and very tough match ups. I don't think your #'s are inflated at all, though the YPC could easily be significantly less than that as we get the ball out of Luck's hands quick. 10-12 YPC would be great.

I am gonna do my version. I agree on Bowe and Wallace, so I will just copy your evaluation.

Indy signs CB Cary Williams Pagano likes him a lot and he likes Pagano a lot. Can be our #2 corner and we can move Powers to to the nickel position, where he will excel.

1st - Indy trades down to the #18 pick and collects a second. With the pick they select Barrett Jones, OL out of Bama. Jones is the most versatile lineman in the draft and can help solidify our O-Line.

2nd - T.J. Mcdonald, S out of USC. He has good instincts and is a hard hitter. He would finish our secondary and make it one of the leagues best.

3rd - Margus Hunt, DE out of SMU. He is an athletic freak!! At 6-8, he has blocked 14 kicks in 3 years. He has a 36 inch vertical, can bench it 45 times, and can run a 4.6 40 yard dash. He is raw, but if he pans out he will be a nightmare for opposing defenses and special teams for years to come.

No thanks on Cary Williams he is a terrible corner. My friend changed my mind. Hes a Baltimore fan an when i said i want Cary Williams he laughed in my face. Williams is next to Stanford Routt for most yards allowed last season.