Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Luke Joeckel or Barrett Jones?

Now that we've spent a 2nd round pick ( and conditional 6th round ) on a CB, I think OL has to be a topic of discussion for the first round selection next year. It's a question of who...

CBS Sports/NFLDraftScout.com currently has Joeckel as the 8th best player on the big board in 2013. Jones is ranked 19th.

Luke Joeckel is a dominate RT. Getting the bookends of Castonzo and Joeckel would be huge.

Barrett Jones is versatile. He will be Alabama's starting Center this year. Can play anywhere on the line which is awesome, but he isn't nearly as highly touted as Joeckel and might be a reach if we are drafting in the top 10.

My pick would go to Joeckel if he fell to us. Thoughts?

***Note : I still think Freeney is gone after this year and we'll need an OLB. If Hughes isn't the man he is right now in preseason, I'm still fine with taking Jarvis Jones in the 1st.

I would go with Jones because of his versatility. Having a lineman that can play every position would be a huge advantage. He is projected as a Top 25 pick right now according to walterfootball. I could see us trading down and get some draft picks back we lost through our trades.

I say Jones because I'd rather an interior lineman. All depends on FA and the waiver wire though... both RG and RT are glaring needs. I'd quite like to see us trade down for Jones, actually...

That might not be a bad idea Dan. However...it would have to be a case where we did bad enough this year to make someone want to trade up to get a player. If we are sitting at 8 or so...I don't know if we'd get great value. But if we do bad enough this year to lock up the #3 or #4 selection...that would probably be good. Get a late #1 and #2 maybe?

doesnt have to be a necessity in draft we have boo koo cap and can pick up pieces we need in fa.then draft project players or develop rookies to take over

True...but having both Left and Right Tackle + Luck under the age of 25 is huge for the future of the team. I think if we can do what the Browns did and build a nice young line through the draft over the next years, we'll be sitting pretty at the top of the AFC South in no time.

oops forgot lol well

1.Barrett Jones

3.Devin Taylor

and try to make a play for Duane Brown or Jake Long in free agency if they hit free agency

Long, Reitz, Satele, Jones, Castonzo ? That wouldn't be too bad at all...

I'm still more in favor of the value pick. I like Joeckel a lot.

Long, Reitz, Satele, Jones, Castonzo ? That wouldn't be too bad at all...

Still not sold on Reitz at Left Guard, hes a decent pass blocker but offers nothing in the run game. Im thinkin Reitz should try out Right Tackle because he cant be worse then Justice. I'd try this

Left Tackle-Castonzo

Left Guard.-Satele(he has played Guard before in Oakland)

Center-Barrett Jones

Right Guard-Tepper

Right Tackle-Reitz

For what it's worth... (a different amount to different people)

Kipers list of top tackles for 2013...

Fluker of Albama, but he's a junior

Lewan of Michigan, but he's a junior

Joekel of A&M, but he's a junior

The top senior is...

Ricky Wagner of Wisc.

Note: The juniors could all come out, it's just not clear which ones if any will... and we likely won't know until early-mid January when the deadline makes it official.

Also.... While Jones is listed as the top interior lineman, it's not clear yet that he has a first round grade. He may come the spring, but it doesn't look like Kiper has one for him yet.

And, for the record, McShay doesn't have a top list yet... I think he has a mock 1st round out... I'll try to find it for some added info here...

Here are the lineman with 1st round projections from McShay...

-- Wagner projected 2nd overall...

-- Fluker projected 5th overall...

-- Oday Obajudi (sp?) Virginia, 27 overall...

-- Joekel 29th overall...

That's McShay's 1st round mock projections.... he'll probably make a dozen more mocks -- at least -- before the draft...

I vote if we end up 7-9 or so which is where I see our record being, we should trade down to the 20-25 range and get the best OL available while also acquiring an extra 2nd or 3rd.

DE/OLB I think will be fine without addressing it round 1. Hughes seems to be playing much better in this defense, and could start next year opposite Mathis.

i wouldn't spend a mid to high first rounder on a guard or right tackle.....

you would if your franchise Quarterbacks life depended on it wouldnt you? The only reason he hasnt gotten hit more and taken more sacks is because of his quick release and feet, We have seen what happens if no one can get open

i wouldn't spend a mid to high first rounder on a guard or right tackle.....

Agreed.

But you could always trade back a small amount, pick up extra draft choice(s) and still take that needed tackle or guard that would still be there for you.

That's how you play the draft game.

Free agency is often a good place to pick up linemen, but if there is truly a garaunteed starter there, then why not? After the Davis and Gordy trades it does look like our draft priorities may have changed a bit.

OT,OG,OLB,SS,RB I just hope Grigs can get it done with our limited pick next draft. Being a big fan of the draft, it's kind of sad to that this draft won't be quite so exciting to watch now :/

Free agency is often a good place to pick up linemen, but if there is truly a garaunteed starter there, then why not? After the Davis and Gordy trades it does look like our draft priorities may have changed a bit.

OT,OG,OLB,SS,RB I just hope Grigs can get it done with our limited pick next draft. Being a big fan of the draft, it's kind of sad to that this draft won't be quite so exciting to watch now :/

You do know we will most likely end up with a 5th, 6th, and a 7th right?

We have to invest heavily in our Offensive Line! They just talked on ESPN America how weak the Patriots Offensive Line looked in preseason and that they failed to protect Tom Brady. Reminds me a lot of the Manning situation and where it ended. We have to protect Andrew and we simply can't rely anymore on "fillers" like Linkenbach, McGlynn, Olsen or draft busts. I think this should be priority number one in next years draft because the current O-line scares me a lot. Maybe 2 high draft picks and one or two free agents.

I like the trade down idea

1.Trade down to 17 or 18 draft Barrett Jones while picking up a 2nd rounder in the process

2..Travis Frederick

3.Devin Taylor 3-4DE/OLB 6'7 248LBS or Brandon Jenkins DE/OLB

4.Jesse Williams/Margus Hunt/Sylvester Williams/Johnathan Jenkins or Kwame Geathers one of them

5.Brandon Bishop

6.Alec Lemon

7.Braden Hansen

Compensatory picks

Agreed.

But you could always trade back a small amount, pick up extra draft choice(s) and still take that needed tackle or guard that would still be there for you.

That's how you play the draft game.

not that i'm totally against moving down, but i would rather the colts take a potential stud front seven player and use free agency to pick up a right tackle/guard.

not that i'm totally against moving down, but i would rather the colts take a potential stud front seven player and use free agency to pick up a right tackle/guard.

Problem is doing that would likely only accomplish protecting Luck with some journeymen Tackle or Guard and possibly an old one. I'd rather draft a potential stud Guard or Tackle in the draft one that Luck can grow with rather then some player whos not cut in in the NFL

Problem is doing that would likely only accomplish protecting Luck with some journeymen Tackle or Guard and possibly an old one. I'd rather draft a potential stud Guard or Tackle in the draft one that Luck can grow with rather then some player whos not cut in in the NFL

i'm not talking about cut players..i'm talking about free agency after this season

i'm not talking about cut players..i'm talking about free agency after this season

Could happen, players hit the market this past offseason that I didn't think would so who knows, I'd just feel safer drafting a Barrett Jones, someone that is said to be able to play multiple positions who blocked for Trent Richardson. Either way I want that to be priority #1 Lucks been under way to much pressure and Justice has been an embarrassment to 2nd round O Linemen taken everywhere lol

For months I talked about taking the best pass rusher available.

Then, after I saw Luck running for his life after the first pre-season game (and then two more games since) it's become obvious to me that in the New NFL, where a franchise QB is going to throw 35-40 times a game, you need premium talent in front of the QB.

So, I'd like to spend that first round pick on a top quality tackle. And, as of today, I think there will be one in the first round for us to take. I'm highly doubtful there will be premium OL talent in Free Agency. Maybe, but not likely. If we can find a solid guard to sign in Free Agency -- even better. A quality veteran guard would thrill me. But I don't think we'll find a tackle any place except in the draft.

That front seven defensive stud will have to wait until the 3rd/4th round, or until 2014. At least, that's my hope....

For months I talked about taking the best pass rusher available.

Then, after I saw Luck running for his life after the first pre-season game (and then two more games since) it's become obvious to me that in the New NFL, where a franchise QB is going to throw 35-40 times a game, you need premium talent in front of the QB.

So, I'd like to spend that first round pick on a top quality tackle. And, as of today, I think there will be one in the first round for us to take. I'm highly doubtful there will be premium OL talent in Free Agency. Maybe, but not likely. If we can find a solid guard to sign in Free Agency -- even better. A quality veteran guard would thrill me. But I don't think we'll find a tackle any place except in the draft.

That front seven defensive stud will have to wait until the 3rd/4th round, or until 2014. At least, that's my hope....

i haven't looked at the list, but this year eric winston and jahri evans signed with different teams. left tackles don't become available, but right tackles and guards do

• 2 weeks later...