Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

If Peyton Is A No Go For The First Game...

mocoltsfan

We dont have a reliable backup that is able to win a game when needed. Both Painter and Orlovsky leave alot to be desired so I feel the Colts will kame a move for a backup quarterback IF Manning cannot go in the season opener.

That move should have been made a long time ago if the Colts thought there was ANY chance he would miss some time. There isn't a whole lot of time left now for whoever they would bring in. If Manning can't go and they bring in another vet last minute, that would be some poor preparation from the front office.

That move should have been made a long time ago if the Colts thought there was ANY chance he would miss some time. There isn't a whole lot of time left now for whoever they would bring in. If Manning can't go and they bring in another vet last minute, that would be some poor preparation from the front office.

Do you have a better idea? At least a Vet could pass the ball and get us down the field. It wouldn't be Peyton but it's better than what we've seen. Most Vet players have played in different organizations and could at least maybe keep us afloat until Peyton can play. I'm all for it and I don't like the tanking the season to get a first round pick at all. That's just stupid in my opinion. I think it would be equally dumb to put Peyton in the first game if he's not completely healed and maybe ruining the rest of his career just to keep his streak going. The front office is hoping that he will be ready and maybe that is the reason nothing has been done. Maybe they thought Painter would be doing much better than what they have seen. I for one think it's time to cut ties with Painter even if he knows the system he can't play like it. JMO of course.

I agree with Susie. Its definitely time to cut ties with painter. We gave him plenty of opportunities to be the back up QB that we need, but he hasn't produced.Imo, I think we should possibly trade for lienart, go for Drew Stanton, or if we can't fond anyone between now and the supplemental draft then go get Pryor. Basically, anyone but who we have now.

Do you have a better idea? At least a Vet could pass the ball and get us down the field. It wouldn't be Peyton but it's better than what we've seen. Most Vet players have played in different organizations and could at least maybe keep us afloat until Peyton can play. I'm all for it and I don't like the tanking the season to get a first round pick at all. That's just stupid in my opinion. I think it would be equally dumb to put Peyton in the first game if he's not completely healed and maybe ruining the rest of his career just to keep his streak going. The front office is hoping that he will be ready and maybe that is the reason nothing has been done. Maybe they thought Painter would be doing much better than what they have seen. I for one think it's time to cut ties with Painter even if he knows the system he can't play like it. JMO of course.

Yeah, my better idea would have been to bring in a QB from the get go who at least had a real chance to learn the offense and get some camp work in to go along with 3-4 preseason games. But hey, that idea has long since sailed. Do i have a better idea right this very moment? Not really. It's a little too late in the game in my opinion to be thinking about maybe getting someone worth a crap to backup Manning. That's the fault of the front office.

I think we could be in a lot of trouble, which is a shame considering factors like having Clark back and the Superbowl being held in Indi. Peyton Manning is the greatest QB of all time and never has one player meant so much to a teams success. As someone else already stated, Peyton only has about two GREAT years left in him and possibly one GOOD one. Another scary thing too is that this neck thing seems to be worse than they're leading us to believe. Even if Manning plays the first game, how easy is it going to be for him to really screw that neck up permanantly? The Colts didn't really get any good pickups in the offseason. Having said that, we're basically working with the same team.(a very aging team)Caldwell is a nice guy but is such a push over and has gives no energy come game time. We need a different head coach. I'm sure some will disagree with that, but I feel it's the truth. The Colts need to give manning some top tier help to give a guy who deserves at least two more championships before he retires.

all i want to know is what were they thinking when they drafted him in the first place???

i know a lot of people that are purdue fans and they have said he was crap in college! so what did the colts see in him...

it took them this long to realize that he is not starting QB material...i figured that out the first game he played in...it makes me nervous now thinking about who they are going to get to replace peyton when he retires...this situation is making me lose faith in the colts judgement and decision making...

i just hope that peyton can return VERY soon to practice so we won't have to worry about this,

didn't think that playing w/o peyton was gonna be an issue for a few more years!!! i am VERY worried right now about this season :panic:

all i want to know is what were they thinking when they drafted him in the first place???

i know a lot of people that are purdue fans and they have said he was crap in college! so what did the colts see in him...

it took them this long to realize that he is not starting QB material...i figured that out the first game he played in...it makes me nervous now thinking about who they are going to get to replace peyton when he retires...this situation is making me lose faith in the colts judgement and decision making...

i just hope that peyton can return VERY soon to practice so we won't have to worry about this,

didn't think that playing w/o peyton was gonna be an issue for a few more years!!! i am VERY worried right now about this season :panic:

Yeah i'm a Purdue fan and Painter got benched his senior year for his terrible play. He struggled then with the same stuff he does now, poor decision making under pressure. You can watch him at practice in drills and nail every throw, get him in a game situation with a little pressure and it's over with.

He wasn't not crap in college, in fact after his junior year he was projected as a first round pick pick. He did struggle his senior year and started falling in the draft. The Colts took a chance on a guy who they saw had first round talet only a year beore. They thought maybe he had a bad season and they could develop him into a good back up QB. He fit what they looked for in a back up QB, he was smart and ran a complex system in college and was a good pocket QB. Clearly he has not panned out as planned. Painter's biggest problem is that he struggles with pressure. His senior year at Purdue he had lost a lot of his line and struggled with pressure and with the Colts suspect line that has contiuned in the NFL. Also no one can tell me what happened in week 16 didn't effect his confidence, there is no way it couldn't have.

I'll take your word for it but I don't remember anyone considering Painter a 1st Round pick. All I know is Purdue benched him to play Justin Siller and Joey Elliot. I also would like to see what his Efficiency Rating was against some of the Sisters of the Poor that Purdue plays (I know everyone plays them). I seem to recall Painter putting up huge numbers against very bad competition. Obviously he doesn't appear to be anything close to a NFL-caliber backup QB.

If we're talking about making a trade for a QB...how 'bout Matt Flynn from the Green Bay Packers. He looked tremendous against the Pats last year, and looks pretty good in the preseason. Thoughts?

Too expensive. The Colts would have to give up at least a third round pick, maybe even a second, to get him. No way Polian makes a trade like that if Manning would be ready to go in Week 2 or so. If Manning were to miss the first six games, if he's on the PUP still, then yes by all means trade for Flynn.

Too expensive. The Colts would have to give up at least a third round pick, maybe even a second, to get him. No way Polian makes a trade like that if Manning would be ready to go in Week 2 or so. If Manning were to miss the first six games, if he's on the PUP still, then yes by all means trade for Flynn.

Really? Wow I didn't know he was that valuable. I just don't like the idea of bringing in 100 year old QBs like Collins or Garcia.

0-1

I don't care who we bring in. If we can't run the ball and we can't pass block well (STILL) I can't think of a single QB who could help us win a game. (One not named Peyton Manning)

Well put. I couldn't agree more. Even with Peyton behind that line, we have serious issues. This organization has been trying to make the line right for 3 drafts now. While Polian has made some amazing moves with several key players (Freeney / Manning / Wayne / Clarke / Bob Sanders (his first 3 years) / Edge), his inability to improve our O Line and get a legitimate backup is about to bite us in a very big way. I've felt uneasy this entire training camp. In true Colts fashion (everything bad happening at once and going from bad to worse), we put up a ridiculous effort in our game against the skins, our first defense gets rolled up, Bethea gets hurt and then we learn that Manning most likely won't be playing in week 1. It begs the question, how long will Manning be out? We all know he's a crazy creature of habit and routine and the man is missing all of training camp and the preseason. I hate to sound like chicken little, but I didn't feel good going into the pre-season and I feel even worse now. This may be the year we have a huge letdown. Honestly, we are overdue.

I think we could be in a lot of trouble, which is a shame considering factors like having Clark back and the Superbowl being held in Indi. Peyton Manning is the greatest QB of all time and never has one player meant so much to a teams success. As someone else already stated, Peyton only has about two GREAT years left in him and possibly one GOOD one. Another scary thing too is that this neck thing seems to be worse than they're leading us to believe. Even if Manning plays the first game, how easy is it going to be for him to really screw that neck up permanantly? The Colts didn't really get any good pickups in the offseason. Having said that, we're basically working with the same team.(a very aging team)Caldwell is a nice guy but is such a push over and has gives no energy come game time. We need a different head coach. I'm sure some will disagree with that, but I feel it's the truth. The Colts need to give manning some top tier help to give a guy who deserves at least two more championships before he retires.

How can anyone possibly say and/or believe that Manning only has 2 great years left and then 1 good one behind that? There are plenty of QB's that have had good and/or great years in the ages from 38-40. There's no reason PM can't have 5 good/great years left in him. Yes, his abilities will start to decline the more he ages, but to say he's done in 3 years is just absurd.

We need to be honest with ourselves. This is not a good football team. The running game is nonexistent. The defense is terrible. the offensive line is a sieve. The coaching is very uninspiring. The only thing that can save it right now is Manning.

This. A thousand times this.

Unless by some miracle our off season pickups make a fairly substantial impact, there is no reason to believe things will be any different. Also you forgot atrocious special teams coverage/returns.

This. A thousand times this.

Unless by some miracle our off season pickups make a fairly substantial impact, there is no reason to believe things will be any different. Also you forgot atrocious special teams coverage/returns.

In my gut, I have to agree. I've really felt that we've been kind of lucky with our record the last couple of seasons. However, with all the key injuries I told myself that if we could ever get healthy we should be strong. At this point I just don't see reason to feel all that confident about much other than our kicking game and punter. I'm hoping that our coaches are intentionally "not showing" anything and that on opening day everything will be fine. The whole QB thing is completely different though. If PM is out, we lose to pretty much any opponent since our current backups just don't have it and any QB brought in isn't likely to have sufficient time to become proficient. Even if Peyton begins practicing in earnest the week before the opener, I still think they will be hard pressed to beat any good teams (Texans included) without suffient in-game reps to gel. Plus, there is always the wildcard of injuries. If a key player or two go down (which seems to be par for the course with this team), things could go south very quickly. Maybe fate will be on our side for a change and if any major injuries occur (God forbid), it will be to our opponents.

I hope I'm wrong. I have been before, for sure, but I really don't feel good about our situation at this point. All I know for certain is that I'm ready to get this preseason baloney over with and start playing games for keeps!

We need to be honest with ourselves. This is not a good football team. The running game is nonexistent. The defense is terrible. the offensive line is a sieve. The coaching is very uninspiring. The only thing that can save it right now is Manning.

+1. Granted, there are 52 other players on the roster, but 18's the one we can't be without.

Freeney is another one as well. Without him at or near 100% our D goes from bad/inconsistant/unreliable to flat out non existent. (See Superbowl vs Saints)

I agree with this I feel like Manning and Freeney are the two guys on this roster that next man up does not apply too.

With that said I think they can still win when Freeney is out (see the whole second half of the 07 season). I don't think they can still win if Manning is out.

Here are some other options:

A.Forfeit the first game

B.Dress up Eli in number 18

C.Miss the plane to Houston

D.Play and bet the house on Houston and use the money to get a backup

Best options i have heard yet... You should start another "MR IRSAY PLZ READ" thread and make sure he sees this advice...