Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Did Anybody Else Hear Peyton In The Huddle?

Coltsagent

Has this been discussed? During the last game the officials are talking and PM is close enough to get picked up on a mic and says first to his teammate "get the :edit: back in the huddle", then turns around listens to the officals for a second and then turns back to his teamate and says "shut the :edit: up".

I never seen him talk like that, almost seemed like a different side I have never known, nor do I think I want to.

Am I the only one?

Edited by shecolt
masked profanity

Check this out:

http://www.nfl.com/v...uden-s-gridiron

Watch from 6:09 to 6:45.

We all know of the Donald Brown incident. And many of us know what Peyton said to Bill Polian and Jim Mora when they interviewed him before the draft. When Peyton is competing, it's no holds barred. He will do what it takes to win and doesn't want anything compromising it. When he perceives something as compromising his ability to win, he gets mad and swears.

I'd be very interested in watching the video if you have a link

Check this out:

http://www.nfl.com/v...uden-s-gridiron

Watch from 6:09 to 6:45.

We all know of the Donald Brown incident. And many of us know what Peyton said to Bill Polian and Jim Mora when they interviewed him before the draft. When Peyton is competing, it's no holds barred. He will do what it takes to win and doesn't want anything compromising it. When he perceives something as compromising his ability to win, he gets mad and swears.

I'd be very interested in watching the video if you have a link

Actually, this NewColtsFan doesn't know the DB incident? And i don't know what Peyton reportedly said to Polian and Mora... (though I may have heard this story before) .... so can you either tells those stories again here, or send it to me in a private message if you don't want to re-post...

Thanks.....

If I am trying to win a game, and an entire fan base is looking at me to rise the franchise up....and some kid in the huddle is talking?

There is no time to be cordial. That player needs to know how much of a detriment his mouth can be a that moment. I see no issue with it at all. There are so many things that go on in a game, in the locker room, in the scrum, etc, that fans are so naive to.

Actually, this NewColtsFan doesn't know the DB incident? And i don't know what Peyton reportedly said to Polian and Mora... (though I may have heard this story before) .... so can you either tells those stories again here, or send it to me in a private message if you don't want to re-post...

Thanks.....

I've heard the story as Mora & Polian, and I've heard the story that he told Irsay himself...

This link claims it's Mora & Polian.

In 1998, when the Colts were still considering drafting Ryan Leaf, Manning told Bill Polian and Jim Mora Sr.: “I’d really like to come here if you want me. But if you don’t, I promise you I’ll come back and kick your "RADIOEDIT" for the next 15 years.”

http://fifthdown.blo...ings-next-stop/

The Donald Brown incident.

http://www.you tube.com/watch?v=DttfyOeU3vw

You'll have to remove the space between the u & t in youtube.

One of my favorite stories is one Marcus Pollard told about a 98 mini-camp, training camp, he ran a route, and evidently Manning disagreed with it. They had a little exchange, Pollard still thought he was right. Manning's response was something like. If I make a call, it is what I say it is . If I say it's Easter you better start looking for the easter eggs.. ." Pollard was like Yes sir!.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1030919/index.htm

Before training camp during one of Dungy's final years... I think Manning sent out a team wide pre-camp text that was a little salty and Dungy's response was Amen.

One of my favorite stories is one Marcus Pollard told about a 98 mini-camp, training camp, he ran a route, and evidently Manning disagreed with it. They had a little exchange, Pollard still thought he was right. Manning's response was something like. If I make a call, it is what I say it is . If I say it's Easter you better start looking for the easter eggs.. ." Pollard was like Yes sir!.

http://sportsillustr...30919/index.htm

Before training camp during one of Dungy's final years... I think Manning sent out a team wide pre-camp text that was a little salty and Dungy's response was Amen.

Go Peyton..

Has this been discussed? During the last game the officials are talking and PM is close enough to get picked up on a mic and says first to his teammate "get the :edit: back in the huddle", then turns around listens to the officals for a second and then turns back to his teamate and says "shut the :edit: up".

I never seen him talk like that, almost seemed like a different side I have never known, nor do I think I want to.

Am I the only one?

You a Colt fan? Been too a game?

Dan Marino is THE GOD of potty mouth languege...

whatever.. who cares.

I have watched that Saturday & PM on the sidelines many, many times. This was different, this was not like 2 equals talking about their opinions. This was more like a dictator. I have never seen him talk down to somebody like that.

You do realize I hope that few athletes talk like Peyton does in interviews and commercials. Just because he's smart enough to control his public persona perfectly doesn't mean that he's a gentleman in the huddle. It's a huddle! A bunch of 20 something athletes from who knows what kind of upbringing who probably use the word you blanked out 10 times an hour. The QB is the field general - they dominate their team-mates and demand their respect. It goes hand in hand with success, because all the players want to do is win. It's when the team is so-so and the QB isn't quite so dominating (ie: Sanchez) that teammates start to make comments they normally wouldn't make, and the locker room falls apart.

In other words, he's doing his job. What did you think went on in the huddle, that he was politely asking everyone their opinion on what play should be run?

Thanks.....

The Donald Brown incident is

. The Polian and Mora incident I can't find a video of, but it goes something like this. Before the draft, Jim Mora and Polian brought Peyton in for a workout and interview. In the interview, Peyton looked at both of them and said "Look, I'd really like to play here. But if you don't draft me, I'm gonna kick your butt for the next 15 years". When Peyton tells that story, he always adds "And I didn't say butt either"

I dont mind the cussing, I hear that all the time when I am at the games. It was the way he said it that I have never seen before. As another player can you really respect a guy that tells you where to stand and to shut up? He just did not seem like the teamate that I came to know.

I dont mind the cussing, I hear that all the time when I am at the games. It was the way he said it that I have never seen before. As another player can you really respect a guy that tells you where to stand and to shut up? He just did not seem like the teamate that I came to know.

Yes. I believe he is one of "the most respected" in the game from his peers...

Sometimes fans want their favorite players to be inhumanly perfect. The reality is that we don't know anything about them as people, at least most of the time. We may think we do, but we don't. All we really know is the personality they choose to project through the media, charity work, public appearances, endorsements, etc.

I had the opportunity several years ago to meet a New England legend, Doug Flutie. I'd been a fan since his BC days and pulled for him in the NFL. Turned out to be a pretty egotistical jerk, lol... but in retrospect, most of them probably are, on some level.

But ultimately, that doesn't matter. Heck, I'd like Tom Brady to stop doing freaky photoshoots but I'm also not going to stop rooting for him because he does.

Sometimes fans want their favorite players to be inhumanly perfect. The reality is that we don't know anything about them as people, at least most of the time. We may think we do, but we don't. All we really know is the personality they choose to project through the media, charity work, public appearances, endorsements, etc.

I had the opportunity several years ago to meet a New England legend, Doug Flutie. I'd been a fan since his BC days and pulled for him in the NFL. Turned out to be a pretty egotistical jerk, lol... but in retrospect, most of them probably are, on some level.

But ultimately, that doesn't matter. Heck, I'd like Tom Brady to stop doing freaky photoshoots but I'm also not going to stop rooting for him because he does.

Woof

tom-brady-v-man-fall-2012-mario-testino-4.pbbig.jpg

I noticed this the second time I watched the game. If you still have it on your DVR, go to about 20 seconds to go til the end of the first half. I _think_ Peyton was yelling at JD Walton after he was flagged for personal foul (I could only see Peyton and the refs).

I actually liked this. He is the leader of the offense and he can tell his line to keep his moouth shut all he wants. I thought it was funny, too.

I'm more than sure this isn't the first time he's checked a teammate like that in the huddle, and I'm more sure than that that it won't be the last.

As a teammate, you respect him because of this. And if you have a problem with that, then you probably don't have the right mentality to be in the huddle with an NFL quarterback.

I have watched that Saturday & PM on the sidelines many, many times. This was different, this was not like 2 equals talking about their opinions. This was more like a dictator. I have never seen him talk down to somebody like that.

The locker room had to behave the way he wanted them to pre-game. Instead of being a standup guy and moving on, please Remember his Pouty Face when it did not go to his liking. He AND Polian were a WEIGHT on the Franchise.

A whole New Happy Life now for Mr Irsay. jmo

That was a classic the .....Saturday-Manning arguement

..there can only be one guy talking in the huddle..

Its not like that old 1990s movie 'Necessary Rougness' where they ask Kathy Ireland in the huddle if she can kick the field goal.....

(you had to be there)

That was a classic the .....Saturday-Manning arguement

..there can only be one guy talking in the huddle..

Its not like that old 1990s movie 'Necessary Rougness' where they ask Kathy Ireland in the huddle if she can kick the field goal.....

(you had to be there)

I do remember reading that Coach Fulmer took Tennessee to watch "The Program" when it was in theaters on a Friday before the game.

Of course it has the famous line.

"put the women and children to bed and go lookin' for dinner"

You can go to you tube and enter in "The Program Final Play" to see the clip.

The following day Heath Shuler enters the huddle and quotes the line in route to a 42-20 thumping of LSU.

http://m.govolsxtra.com/news/2010/sep/27/baton-rouge-battles-can-tell-tale/

Then there is the story of Manning entering the huddle at UCLA after Senior starter Jerry Colquitt and Todd Helton left the game with injuries.

"Even though you're a freshman," dear old dad told him a couple of days earlier, "take charge of the huddle."

Manning leaned in to complete the 11-man oval, his spotless uniform contrasting against the blood and sweat and smell of the others. It wasn't yet halftime, but Tennessee was already beaten and it showed. Florida was quick-kicking the Vols all over the Neyland Stadium field, and emotions were strained.

Attempting to rally the troops, Manning offered encouraging words to his older, wiser teammates. But the impromptu pep talk didn't get far.

"Shut the bleep up and call the bleeping play," said offensive tackle Jason Layman, three years Manning's senior and infinitely wiser in the ways of the college football world.

Welcome to the Southeastern Conference

http://www.athlonsports.com/college-football/athlon-archive-peyton-manning-takes-reigns-tennessee

When he took the field for his first snap against UCLA, Manning stepped into the huddle and told his teammates that even though he was just a freshman, he could still lead them to a touchdown.

"Shut the (bleep) up," said offensive lineman Jayson Layman, "and play."

More simple advice, if a bit crude.

http://members.tripod.com/peyton_manning_16/manning6.html

I've always heard the story told as being in the UCLA game, the opener of the 94 season.

Does anyone remember the game against the Texans where Wayne and one of the CB's got into it and "F U MF-er" was heard on the field? I always felt like the broadcast crew would be more responsible in censoring that stuff. I'm an adult and I can handle it, but its weird to hear on a national broadcast.

Am I the only one?

I head him the second he said it. Posted about it on Broncos.com and was banned for life for masking profanity by Eddie Mac. Mind you the same guy wo has a nalf naked chick as his avitar. WTH.

I head him the second he said it. Posted about it on Broncos.com and was banned for life for masking profanity by Eddie Mac. Mind you the same guy wo has a nalf naked chick as his avitar. WTH.

You're welcome here! :)*

*as long as you never speak bad of Andrew Luck

What? That's crazy!

BTY, I love love loved Eddie Mac. Whenever Decker drops the ball, I yell "you don't deserve to wear 87!" My husband thinks I'm crazy.